For any discussion not specifically related to your project
By huramentzefix
How to get the spark advance right, which logging function to use?
How do you guys get your spark advance map?
I was thinking about just advancing and retarding spark-advance and see if it get's richer or leaner?
How to do it with runerstudio?
Can the speedunio be ran in parallel with my original ECU to prolt the spark advance table when I can't read it from the ECU, or is it a good approach to plot it?
By PSIG
huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 am How to get the spark advance right, which logging function to use?
Adjust spark for best efficiency, depending on what efficiency you're after (power, economy, emissions, etc). We do this by reading data that shows acceleration, or minimum MAP, etc. Measures of performance for the mode it's in. This is done after finding best Lambda/AFR for that efficiency. Fuel provides energy, and ignition timing enables the conversion to power. They are a team with different jobs. Search for how to use data to find those efficiencies. You will be learning diagnostic tuning with data. ;)

Visit the EFIAnalytics site for articles on what log types are available, and how to take them. Post them here with your questions - both a log of the issue, and the exact tune used to take the log. It is convenient to keep the tuen adn log files grouped in a ZIP file for posting.

huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 amHow do you guys get your spark advance map?
Various methods are used to create a start-up timing table. It is only temporary until it is tuned. Some use factory values to create a table, others make a "wedge" table from a reasonable idle timing to a reasonable wide-open value, tapered from one to the other. There are some table calculators to get it running in some threads here and other sites online. Again, no matter what you create, it will change with tuning.

huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 amI was thinking about just advancing and retarding spark-advance and see if it get's richer or leaner?
Nope. It will change O2 readings, but that is not a good indicator of either fuel or timing efficiency.

huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 amHow to do it with runerstudio?
While some steady tuning areas can be diagnosed with TunerStudio, most tuning work is quickest and most effective with data analysis using MegaLogViewer. MLV views the logs and allows trends, relationships and comparisons to be made, each guiding tuning. TunerStudio is best for settings and monitoring. MLV for tuning.

MLV can also be used to auto-adjust the tables to targets you choose, provide graphs to show strong or weak areas, and much more. While TS can also view some data (especially the Ultra version), the real meat of the story is in logs and analysis. MLV is the workhorse in tuning, and worth far more than it costs, just in time savings, but like any program, you need to spend some time with it to get a feel for how it works and telling it what you want to see.

huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 amCan the speedunio be ran in parallel with my original ECU to prolt the spark advance table when I can't read it from the ECU, or is it a good approach to plot it?
Not an efficient approach, for the reasons above. Most engines will start with a base tune that will allow warm-up and move to tuning, or your can create your own as-above. Don't stress on it, as again, it's only to get it started and warmed-up and is temporary.
By huramentzefix
PSIG wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:36 am
huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 am How to get the spark advance right, which logging function to use?
Adjust spark for best efficiency, depending on what efficiency you're after (power, economy, emissions, etc). We do this by reading data that shows acceleration, or minimum MAP, etc.

MLV is my dyno, using the crank input signal on the same track?

PSIG wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:36 amVisit the EFIAnalytics site for articles on what log types are available, and how to take them. Post them here with your questions - both a log of the issue, and the exact tune used to take the log. It is convenient to keep the tuen adn log files grouped in a ZIP file for posting.

thanks, will do!

huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 amHow do you guys get your spark advance map?
Various methods are used to create a start-up timing table. It is only temporary until it is tuned. Some use factory values to create a table, others make a "wedge" table from a reasonable idle timing to a reasonable wide-open value, tapered from one to the other. There are some table calculators to get it running in some threads here and other sites online. Again, no matter what you create, it will change with tuning.

understood, wedge and the street-dyno via crankshaftsignal

huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 amHow to do it with runerstudio?
While some steady tuning areas can be diagnosed with TunerStudio, most tuning work is quickest and most effective with data analysis using MegaLogViewer. MLV views the logs and allows trends, relationships and comparisons to be made, each guiding tuning. TunerStudio is best for settings and monitoring. MLV for tuning.

MLV can also be used to auto-adjust the tables to targets you choose, provide graphs to show strong or weak areas, and much more. While TS can also view some data (especially the Ultra version), the real meat of the story is in logs and analysis. MLV is the workhorse in tuning, and worth far more than it costs, just in time savings, but like any program, you need to spend some time with it to get a feel for how it works and telling it what you want to see.

TunerStudio Lite!,TunerStudio MS & TunerStudio Ultra does any of the include a version of MLV, if yes which one?

what's going on with this forum and the colors / contrast? grey on light grey / white on light grey
I had to just change my text to manually to be effortless readable. Is this just me?
By PSIG
huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:06 amMLV is my dyno, using the crank input signal on the same track?
MLV is your window into the engine, and far more than a dyno. You can monitor and watch how 50 to 100 channels of data interact, displayed in various ways. Not the best examples, but you could see that your idle is leaning, because your battery voltage is dropping; or that your economy improves if you add 3° timing at this exact point, or that your AE is good but lasts too long for best acceleration. All kinds of info and insight like that.

It has been described like watching a Matrix screen :lol: , and once you grasp how to see the information it has, can greatly speed and improve your tuning. A very powerful tool.

huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 amTunerStudio Lite!,TunerStudio MS & TunerStudio Ultra does any of the include a version of MLV, if yes which one?
TunerStudio MS for most, and enables things like long logging, special logs, and custom dashboards for easy viewing of each project or tuning phase. As you would have MLV for viewing, the TS Ultra is nice but unnecessary. Look for package or bundle deals at lower cost for TS MS with MLV MS.

huramentzefix wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 amwhat's going on with this forum and the colors / contrast? grey on light grey / white on light grey
I had to just change my text to manually to be effortless readable. Is this just me?
It's not the best color combination, but it is usable for me. I don't know if it can be changed. Let us know if you find a way to improve it!

BMW E23 M30B28

Ignore my previous posts, I'm an idiot. Turns out […]

He's quite prolific with respect to video and elec[…]

I’m thinking it’s the voltage regulato[…]

HAHA Thank you! Ok got it the outer part of the […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?