Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
notarobot wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:58 pmOne other idea for phase detection …
Do a search, and you will find dozens of creative ideas for cycle sensing. Rocker tip sensors, timing chain gears, lobe sensor, distributor shat grooves, pushrod sensing, pump cam sensor, MAP of one cylinder, etc. Usually Hall or other digital sensor, but there are no limitations. Creativity by simply looking at everything in the engine that rotates or actions at half-speed will get you there somehow that's easy, cheap or other benefit. 8-)

While not every idea is perfect, I recall someone printing a black/white trigger wheel on paper, gluing it to a disc and using an optical sensor in the distributor. It worked, and while only a test, shows options that are unconventional. This is the value of concepts, over instructions. Once you know what you need to achieve, you can do it 101 ways that the factories did not (or exactly that way). 8-)
PSIG wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:17 pm While not every idea is perfect, I recall someone printing a black/white trigger wheel on paper, gluing it to a disc and using an optical sensor in the distributor.
When I first got a Speeduino several years ago I built a basic test rig to evaluate Speedy and that used exactly this method :-). I remember
it not working at first because the laser printed segments were not dark enough - but once I coloured over them with a pemanent marker pen it ran perfectly - in fact would run scarily fast without glitching.
Attachments
20200610_135148.jpg
20200610_135148.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 902 times
i hadn't realised @psig had already posted regarding optical. :lol:

I had my brother in law, laser cut me a trigger wheel from phenolic board. Same stuff as pcb are made from. It stank so much, he wouldnt do it again. :lol: So I thought I may send away to a pcb manufacturer to get some made. the bare boards out of China, are really cheap, it's the global postage that puts the price up.
Rather than modding the bottom part of distributor to mount a HE trigger I am wondering if the slot on distributor shaft which normally locates the rotor arm could be used as trigger for a Hall Effect gear tooth sensor? Shaft is approx 7.5mm diameter with slot as per photo.

With a 36-1 crank trigger to run full sequential I believe I just need a single pulse type signal from cam (distributor). Are there any particular advantages/disadvantages to using various shape/style triggers - e.g. half moon, 4-1 wheel, single arm wheel etc?

John
Attachments
IMG_20231214_174922159.jpg
IMG_20231214_174922159.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 697 times
I have used a slot (ground with a cutoff wheel) and another with a flat area ground into the shaft, almost 'half-moon'. There's a photo somewhere on here. "Tooth/slot" dimension will depend on what sensor you use. If the sensor has a wide aperture (viewing/sensing angle for larger teeth), a small wheel or modified (steel) rotor tip can be used. Get creative and have fun. 8-)
Injected 2 stroke Bultaco

Alternator testing. Its a 3 phase circa 200w alter[…]

BMW E23 M30B28

Okay, I managed to start the engine. The &quot[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?