Any general discussion around the firmware, what is does, how it does it etc.
By damichi
Hi folks,

for a small pcb project, I wanted to use a blackpill board with a STM32F401CC.
I am able to build the software release 202310 and load it to the board with no errors using VSC and PlatformIO as well as Arduino IDE. Both result in the chip not reporting a Serial Connection via USB and therefore not being recognized by Tunerstudio.
The same approach with a Mega 2560 works like a charm.
Is there anything obvious I have to consider using this MCU?

Cheers,
Michael
damichi wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:34 pm Hi folks,

for a small pcb project, I wanted to use a blackpill board with a STM32F401CC.
I am able to build the software release 202310 and load it to the board with no errors using VSC and PlatformIO as well as Arduino IDE. Both result in the chip not reporting a Serial Connection via USB and therefore not being recognized by Tunerstudio.
The same approach with a Mega 2560 works like a charm.
Is there anything obvious I have to consider using this MCU?

Cheers,
Michael
The defaults it boots up with have a pin conflict, the USB pins are used for injectors or something like that. Change the defaults in your code, or erase page 7 with stm32cube, and set your board layout to STM32F407 while the board is OFFLINE and once it connects select Use Tunerstudio settings.
By damichi
Thanks you for your reply. I tried to change the pin defaults in the init.ino file under case 60 and #elif (definedSTM32F401xC), where the fuel pump output was definded at an USB pin.

This however seems not to be all of the issue, as I still have the same problem.
I wrote my own small test program to see whether the board has any issues with my computer but the serial.begin comand was enough to be detected as a COM port for the computer, but only in the test program.
It seems to be the same way as serial comms are started in the init.ino file.

I also tried to figure out what you meant by deleting page 7 in STM32Cube. Do you mean deleting specific sectors of the memory? Could you specify a bit, what you mean by that?
Maybe you have another idea of what might be wrong?

Cheers,
Michael
By damichi
Next step, I tried to delete sector 7 in STM32Cube, so everything from 0x08060000 to 0x08070000. I noticed however, that no data seems to be stored there.

I will try further.

Cheers,
Michael
By ptownsin
Hi Michael,
I recently did exactly the same as you, and initially had the same result.
I debugged the code and it was crashing initialising the eeprom.
I got things working by adding a winbond spi chip and enabling it in the build by uncommenting the line In board_stm32_official.h starting
#define USE_SPI_EEPROM

There was one more gotcha. I think I read somewhere that you need to use the default chip select pin for the spi port if there's only one device on the spi and for me, pb0 wasn't working.
I changed it on that line of code to pb12, ssel for spi2. That's assuming the winbond is the only device on that spi.

Hope that might help.

Paul
NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Niiiice... 8-) Looking forward to your updates![…]

I'd be surprised if its not a 32-bit processor on[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?