For anything not related to Speeduino, but still about car/bike/boat/engines etc
Hi everyone. I patented a gasoline vapor induction system that I've been working on for months.
I will be glad to answer any questions about the system, and give you permission to build one if you are interested. I would only be concerned if they are are sold, in which a cheap patent license agreement could be obtained from me.
I'm in need of using a needle valve controlled by a stepper motor to administer the fuel.
I don't want an injector because I want fuel to go into every inch of intake air.
In other words pulses just are not optimal in this case.
I'm using a fuel pump of about 4psi.
I have not bought the Speediuno yet, but want to tap signals from the Scion tC's ECU, so it can still control the electronic (dbw) throttle body (2006).
I don't know anything about controlling or calibrating a stepper motor.
I'm using a readily available printer stepper motor and a needle valve made for dentists.
I'll leave at that, but ready for infinite questions, lol.
Thanks in advance for ANY pointers, advise, or instructions.
Casey C wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:11 pm Hi everyone. I patented a gasoline vapor induction system that I've been working on for months.
I will be glad to answer any questions about the system, and give you permission to build one if you are interested. I would only be concerned if they are are sold, in which a cheap patent license agreement could be obtained from me.
I'm in need of using a needle valve controlled by a stepper motor to administer the fuel.
I don't want an injector because I want fuel to go into every inch of intake air.
In other words pulses just are not optimal in this case.
I'm using a fuel pump of about 4psi.
I have not bought the Speediuno yet, but want to tap signals from the Scion tC's ECU, so it can still control the electronic (dbw) throttle body (2006).
I don't know anything about controlling or calibrating a stepper motor.
I'm using a readily available printer stepper motor and a needle valve made for dentists.
I'll leave at that, but ready for infinite questions, lol.
Thanks in advance for ANY pointers, advise, or instructions.
the mad scientist in me is rather curious!

so im guessing your using the vapour to fuel it, for efficiency?

one thing i will say, using the factory ecu for the throttle could be...interesting...

feeding data to the factory ecu, on top of that, data that it expects to see just for it to control the throttle without going into limp or having some form of hissy fit, as i found myself, was more difficult than i anticipated.

i was gonna use my dbw throttle, but it wasnt happy about it. it was a fight i gave up on and just went for good old fashioned cable throttle.

dont get me wrong, a ford ecu (eec V i think) probably works differently and expects different things than a scion/toyota ecu does, just be prepared to feed it everything. i did and it still wouldnt behave.

im not sure what engine you got, but theres probably an earlier variant with a cable throttle if it is an issue...

stepper motors, are actually not that bad to mess with, if you get one with some good data behind it (gm steppers are known well) setup is a couple of mins, working out home step ect can be a right pain without anything to go off.

im not sure what the response time is on steppers, i think its about 3ms? some maybe more, should be fast enough for what you want it for?

i wanna see this running, sounds rather interesting!
Thanks Benw94 for the enthusiasm and intrest.
My approach to vapor does not center on heat and evaporation.
Rather I use suction (from the piston) to tear the droplets apart from the very beginning.
Engines were a fantastic invention, but the properties of gasoline were never exploited fully. And I believe that is an understatement.
A drop of fuel has 23 x 10 to the 21, molecules in it. (23 sextillion)
A droplet with 1/1000 the diameter has 23 x 10 to the 12, molecules in it.(quadrillion)
In a vapor, none of those molecules are touching each other, and the burn power is equivalent to a droplet mixture.
I'll get into it more on my responses but since this is a speeduino Forum, I better get back to my problem now.
In my Scion tC I've put the vapor intake parallel to the stock intake with a 2 1/4" valve separating the two.
As suggested on this forum I disabled the injector power lines and that works great!
Actually I installed a switch to turn them on or off. This has been a lifesaver, especially in clearing the engine when I accidentally pumped fuel into the manifold.
Also in just running the engine to troubleshoot
that all the normal system is working.
Anyway, swerving back to my main concern, I really need to keep the car dmv legal and with these switches it is.
I would really like to get rid of the dbw throttle body, for simplicity, but it may end up simpler to keep it, if I can piggyback the ecu, just splicing out some basic sensors signals for the speeduino.
My head is ringing. I'm sending this out. I ll respond to anything and explain more later.
I'll attach a picture on next post.
Thanks Benw94!
It's probably easier to post the patent number so readers can pull the patent to read the abstract, see the drawings, and read the specifications and claims. That should give everyone a good grasp of your effort. I look forward to reading yours. :)
I applied for patent 3 months ago (provisional patent) I say "patent" out of habit to avoid the long explanation of the patent process.
But I will explain the "carburetor" since you've expressed interest.
It's a system with 4 almost identical subsystems.
So understanding the subsystem operation is key to understanding the whole invention.
And of course understanding WHY there is not just one BIG system is key also.
So like I said heat and evaporation is not used. Either is 'bubbling' which is often seen on YouTube from experimenters.
The problem all the above is enough volume of vapor for full power of the engine intended by the manufacturer.
So instead we use velocity and turbulation to break down the droplets.
By using a passageway 1/4 the size of a full-power passageway we speed up the intake air by a factor of 4.
So we use only one of the four passageways up to 25% power.
As soon as fuel enters the fast air it is broken down much much more than a conventional carburetor.
After the fuel entry point, there is a 1 ft long tube with baffles, which the light air can negotiate better than any remaining liquid.
So any remaining liquid fuel droplets are shifting through the air, or splattering on the baffles untill all the liquid is vaporized.
When more than 20% power is needed, the second chamber is opened and so forth, so when full power is used, all chambers are used. (Which is very seldom. Most highway driving will be done with just one chamber.)
I want to sell these as add-ons for hobbyists, and if the car companies become interested, I will make a deal with them also.
They're not hard to make, and in exchange for helping me I'll show you and Ben how to make one.
I still have these things to iron out to get smooth metering of the fuel.
Sorry for any mistakes, I submitted without proofreading.
The circled part is one vaporization chamber. The rest is for the cars original system. I use an exhaust bypass valve the separate and switch them.
Any other questions, fire away. I don't know what else to say unless you ask. I imagine there are 1000 possible questions.
Attachments
Picsart_23-10-19_09-37-46-434.jpg
Picsart_23-10-19_09-37-46-434.jpg (539.41 KiB) Viewed 16341 times
Screenshot_20231019_093045_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231019_093045_Gallery.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 16341 times
I realized I should learn some basics, so this is what I learned so far.
There is a controller. a driver, and the motor.
A full step is 1.8° or 200 per revolution.
Micro steps are possible.
OK, right here, I think full steps will be fine.
So it seems like taking the Speediuno injector pulse frequency is the challenge.
And then implement the pulse widths for optimal performance.
Does this seem to be on the right track?

Hi there, I'm doing preliminary research and hope[…]

BMW E23 M30B28

Where did the plugs come from? I've heard there ar[…]

Injected 2 stroke Bultaco

Alternator testing. Its a 3 phase circa 200w alter[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?