Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By Tassuperkart
Hey all
Ive almost finished my Bultaco road race replica built from my old 1978 370 Pursang motocrosser.

The old air-cooled engine has had a reed valve added and some good porting in the past and was a very capable motocrosser in its day. Being an old school Euro dirt bike, the engine is relatively low revving with a long midrange which makes should make it good for a lightweight road bike and I have zero plans to develop it further.
I managed to get its dry weight fully faired from 110Kg down to 95Kg with a very savage weight loss programme!!!

Now fitted with Speeduino EFI and is triggered with a 60-2 wheel and VRS.
42mm throttle body/240cc injector with built in TPS and stepper IAC. Fixed 45psi fuel pressure.
Delco D585 ignition coil.
I fitted a 240w flywheel/alternator setup off a China scooter to power the whole show.

Nothing groundbreaking there and to begin with load sensing via TPS only but Im looking at incorporating a MAF at some point in the future by inserting a hotwire MAF into the inlet in front of the TB. Fuel reversion impacting on the sensor may or may not be an issue as the engine is reed valved but.......
I do have some space to increase the length of the inlet pipe between the air filter and the TB mouth and I believe there are some MAF's that shield the hotwire sensor from anything splashing from downstream but only future datalogging and testing will reveal that.
2 strokes with expansion chambers have some, ahhh....... rather "interesting" load sensing/fuellingignition demands and TPS only is barely adequate and at best, the ECU just guesses the engines fuel demands.
However, for a bigger cube, relatively lower revving motor I can happily get away with it to begin with. Its been done before plenty of times.

The entire electrical and electronics system has been built and tested on the bike by spinning the trigger wheel in the lathe and mounting the VRS onto the toolpost!
Datalogging showed a dead clean VRS waveform and no EMI/RFI interference even with the sparkplug zapping away resting on the head.
Other than a few pesky small jobs left it only awaits a full engine rebuild before being ready to light up.

I have done several custom EFI setups on bikes and cars over the years on various engines, turbocharged and NA so this is not really my first efi rodeo but injected air cooled 2 stroke............ We shall see!

I have written a specific ignition map for a 2 stroke but the fuelling demands are kinda partially educated guesses at this point!

Just looking about for any other injected 2 stroke tragics who might like to chime in with their experiences.
By dazq
Please be aware that speeduino does NOT support MAF sensors.
There have been a few very detailed 2 stroke threads , have a search on here for more info.
By digmorepaka
Always love seeing someone else with an EFI 2 stroke! Keep us posted on your progress.
I would love to see some pictures of your bike and intake setup!
By Tassuperkart
dazq wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:53 am Please be aware that speeduino does NOT support MAF sensors.
Oh, really? Ahh well that saves a lot of fiddling around then!!!

Ive found some very detailed threads on other forums detailing 2 stroke efi but the vast majority of the people doing it dont really know what they are doing and have little or no EFI experience.
This is no diss to them mind you but trawling through pages and pages of posts where they have become so bogged down in the science of it all and I mostly find a never ending trail of failed attempts etc etc.

Plenty of Skidoos and snowmobiles along with drag bikes and outboard motors etc done but the fuelling and ignition requirements of them are far less demanding than whats required for a road bike.

Anyway, I shall keep hunting around!!!
By dazq
No need to hunt around, there are a few detailed threads (some with Dyno testing too)on this forum you may find useful.
By Tassuperkart
digmorepaka wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:50 pm Always love seeing someone else with an EFI 2 stroke! Keep us posted on your progress.
I would love to see some pictures of your bike and intake setup!
A before and after pix probably details best whats going on with the bike
This is the bike just a few moments before it was pulled apart.
Most of these pix are pretty old and everything was in "mule" stage so be kind to me for things like fuel pumps held on with cable ties etc etc!!!

IMG_1249.JPG
IMG_1249.JPG (2.75 MiB) Viewed 10771 times

I Frankenbiked my 1976 370 Pursang MX bike with a 1978 370 Frontera enduro bike. The later bike had very good suspension in comparison to my earlier bike and the frame, virtually identical to the earlier bike carries a compliance plate. I had a lightbulb moment when I was given a Kawasaki ZXR250r screamer and below is the resulting Frankenbike.

IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 10771 times
IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 10771 times

There has been a lot of time and love bestowed upon my old bike which now wears a ZXR250 entire front end.
The swingarm, wheel and rear brake is stock Kwaka.
The monoshock suspension is my own design but I maintained the Kawasaki geometry at both ends so both ends worked together as they did on the ZXR.

The throttle body is a 42mm butterfly arrangement with an integral stepper type idle valve and throttle position sensor and a single 240cc injector.
The engine had been modified extensively in the late '70s including a Gem 12 petal reed block assembly and I made a slightly angled adapter to carry the larger rubber manifold and to lower the throttle body to clear the shock spring.

IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG (2.99 MiB) Viewed 10771 times
Attachments
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG (3.49 MiB) Viewed 10771 times
Last edited by Tassuperkart on Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Tassuperkart
To power the whole show, I modified a 240w alternator off a China bike, a Shindengen MOSFET rec/reg and fitted/modified a 60t x 1/4" pitch platewheel sprocket as a trigger wheel for a single VRS

The "battery" is a 16v Ultra-capacitor pack. I havent tested the ultra caps against the Mosfet reg yet to see if the charging system has stable voltage. Field regfulated alternators charge perfectly against an ultra cap pack so Ill cross that bridge when I get to it.
Not a lot of reserve capacity in the caps but after just a short charge, it ran the bike electrics for about 10 minutes with the dual LED headlight on high beam.
Its only got to run the ECU and the fuel pump for a few seconds before the bike is run started and a small solar charger can take care of the caps discharging.

IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG (3.67 MiB) Viewed 10766 times

Thank you all for your input. I have managed to g[…]

Working on adding some different wheel definitions[…]

FW 202402 6IGN compile issue

#define BOARD_H "board_avr2560.h&quot[…]

I seem to remember the VG30 used a two-signal outp[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?