For anything not related to Speeduino, but still about car/bike/boat/engines etc
Hi there,

Replacing my speeduino board, so having to reset base timing to the new board. I’m having trouble getting believable readings from my timing gun and tuner studio, and also having trouble finding good info on the interwebs that is helpful. Tons of info on belt timing, not so much on ignition timing.

Here’s what I got…
I’m using a hot wire extender on plug 1, which I’m calling passenger side front. That’s where timing gun hangs.

In tuner studio..I’ve locked the offset to 20 deg.

When I look at the timing gun marks…I see a white single tick dot, way off the timing mark scale..like I’d guess at like 30 deg.

I can adjust the offset and the mark moves in the correct direction, however to get it close to the desired 20 deg, my offset is like -24, and the car sputters out and dies. Even when I move the timing offset back to like -5, the car is very hard to start again.

My tuner says offset on the ej20 should be in a range of like -5 to -13 at most, but that won’t get the mark even close to set angle, in my case 20 deg.

I’m stumped. I’ve tried the same test using a reference angle of 10 deg, same problem with offset way out of range.

Anyone have any ideas or links that can help?
By dazq
I think you are confusing offset and advance here.
To set the "offset" you lock the "advance" in TS to a fixed timing typically 10-15degrees.
Calculate where your offset should be as a start point (see wiki)
Then adjust the offset in TS until your strobe shows correct
Then unlock from fixed timing and start tuning.
The wiki explains how to set trigger angle offset.
You are correct, I’m crossing up terms, but the problem remains. So I see this 8n the wiki:

Trigger angle - The angle of the crank, After Top Dead Centre (ATDC), when tooth #1 passes the sensor on the primary (crank) input. This setting is critical for Speeduino to accurately know the current crank angle. See section below ('Finding tooth #1 and trigger angle') for further information on how to determine this value. You should be using a timing light to confirm angle is correct once calculated. Without doing this your angle may be incorrect.”

I know I’m 36-2-2-2 on my subie. This setup has run before on another v.04 board, I’m just replacing a damaged board.

I’m a real newbie on this, and not sure how to calculate my advance. I get the general motion…set the advance, measure, adjust offet until the values match. Any help figuring out what my initial advance should be..that I lock to?
By dazq
First off, you say you are just replacing what was running before, so just use that tune /settings..

Secondly the timing value you lock it to doesn't matter. Just pick a typical value the engine will run at near idle. Check the service manual , but most engines will run at 10-15 degrees. Remember it's only for testing/setup purposes.
BMW E23 M30B28

Okay, I managed to start the engine. The &quot[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Niiiice... 8-) Looking forward to your updates![…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?