Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By AlexE
Hello,

I like to make things right and I just checked timing of my Miata NBfl with timing light. Its slightly off about 2 degrees retarded (-> Fixed/Locked Timing ON set to 10deg). So I came to trigger setup and changed Trigger Angle from 0deg to 2.
(9.25 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
nothing happened, timing light shows still the same timing.

Changed Trigger angle up to 20 deg and still nothing (=2 deg retarded). Then started lowering from 0 to -5 (nothing) but at -10 engine started to run rough. Back to -5 or 0, engine works ok again but timing still retarded as it was

Tried to switch off engine, reboot Speeduino - no change

Tried with Fixed Timing at 0 - no change

switched off Trigger filter - no change

switched off Resync Every cycle - no change

What am I doing wrong?

timing light triggered using clamp on ignition wire
Attachments
trigger offset.jpg
trigger offset.jpg (59.96 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
By AlexE
I understand that we should laugh more often :lol:

Well ... I think I know how to use timing light, what is stroboscope effect and so on. There are 2 marks on crank pulley, I cleaned them to make visible, and timing setup plate I also cleaned to see what my timing is when lighting with timing light

Believe me changing offset from -5 to +20 changes nothing in engine behaviour and nothing on what I see using timing light. This confused me and thats why I started this topic!
By PSIG
I would first verify your engine TDC mark is correct by using a piston-stop tool (under $10) to verify the TDC mark is spot-on. I do this on most setups due to production tolerances. Then I would verify the engine does not have any issues such as here.

If the mark location is correct, then either move the wheel slightly or the sensor slightly, roughly 0.05" (50 thousandths of an inch or a bit over 1mm) per-degree to zero on TDC. That's me, but you can also ignore it and tune to best performance, whatever the numbers are, e.g., your engine may have timing 2° different than the next engine, using it only as a tuning reference rather than a target.
By AlexE
jonbill wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:33 pm Sorry, didn't mean to offend you :D
https://wiki.speeduino.com/en/decoders/Miata_99
Suggests that the trigger angle can't be (or shouldn't be) changed from zero for that trigger pattern.
It could well be that speeduino is right and your crank markings are a couple of degrees out.
I'd just view your test as proving its about right.
dont worry, I dont feel offended :)

I asked this question because on movie below (sorry, it in polish ;) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpje_Iiq8U&t=455s
around 7:42 guys are perfoming this alignment and this works. So I was confused why it does not work in my case - ??!!

PSIG: crank problem were common in early NAs, this is NBfl 12yrs younger so rather unlikely. But anyway I will check wheel and sensor alignment at TDC
By AlexE
if something should not be used and/or is not working shouldnt be grayed out?
By runesm
AlexE wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:37 pm if something should not be used and/or is not working shouldnt be grayed out?
This is an opensource ecu, coded by a creator and the community. It even comes at a very low pricepoint. There's bugs. Fortunatly, you can bug report on github, and when theres time to spare, bugs get adressed.

In the meantime, theres sound advice to be had regarding said bugs :)

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

See my earlier post . The Base Tune sets t[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?