For any add-on boards such as VR conditioners, optos and OEM interface boards
By Izzy46
Hi D-Stage!!

Thank you so much for your amazing ETC. I'm currently using it to restore a 2005 Mastercraft. I have the controller functioning well in regards to opening and closing the throttle body. Unfortunately I can't get the D-Stage IAC to respond to Speedy.

I'm new to electronics so please bear with me with my experiments and descriptions of the problem :)

This is the throttle body I'm using. As you can see idle is controller by the butterfly rather than a valve.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071S ... UTF8&psc=1

So far I've connected an Uno to the IAC pad and simulated a PWM signal of 50% at 490 Hz, this results in the butterfly opening a few degrees. (this seems good)

I've checked the Speedy circuit when powered up using the following diagram.
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 5.24.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 5.24.01 PM.png (34.68 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
image.png
I get the following voltages:
MCU-D5 = 2.5v
R43 = 2.5v
R47 = 2.5v
HVM NMOS leg number 2 = 2.5v
IDLE OUT shows no voltage.

On my Mastercraft thread PSIG has suggested the following:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5532&p=62146#p62146

"As Idle-Out is simply a grounding circuit, that also indicates that the device (ETC in this case) should have a 5V pullup, either internally or added into the circuit. This would function as 5V signal, grounded in pulses by Speeduino to create a 0V-5V signal to the ETC.

If all of that is making sense, when the ETC is powered-up, it should show 5V on its idle input, waiting to be grounded. If it does not, and all of this is confirmed by D-Stage, then it's either not enabled, or you need to add the 5V pullup. Again, I would verify with D-Stage."

I've checked the IAC pad on the ETC and it reads 0v.

At this point I'm a little beyond the limits of my understanding. Do you have any suggestions for next possible steps from here....?

Thanks once again for everything, without this controller I don't think I could have undertaken this project. After a year of completely rebuilding the boat this is hopefully the last issue I need to solve :)
By LPG2CV
You wont see any voltage at pins 1 or 3, as they are ground. When pin 2 is raised, then it connects pins 1 and 3.

I'm not experienced with DBW, but I would think you connect 12v (check voltage) to the actuator, and the mosfet acts as the switch on the ground side. This works the same way as wiring the fuel pump, but is pwm, and not just on/off once.
What you are trying to achieve is not clear to me, Is this meant to connect to the idle up input of the D-Stage analog DBW controller? the circuit that you have is for driving a solenoid. The D-Stage idle-up circuit requires you to send a voltage/current to it - it is is just the base of a transistor. the D-stage schematics are here:
https://github.com/DStageGarage/Electro ... l.docx.pdf
By Izzy46
I'm not experienced with DBW, but I would think you connect 12v (check voltage) to the actuator, and the mosfet acts as the switch on the ground side. This works the same way as wiring the fuel pump, but is pwm, and not just on/off once.
I don't understand what you mean by 'actuator' in this case....?
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.33.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.33.37 PM.png (56.45 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Just looking at the picture above I've discovered something strange (to me at least). The diagram shows Q6 is Q_NMOS_GDSD and Q5 is HVM NMOS. When I consult my new and now good friend chatGPT she says that:

"HVM NMOS (High-Voltage Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) is a type of MOSFET that is designed to handle high voltages. "

and

"Q_NMOS_GDSD is commonly used in low-power applications where high energy efficiency is required, such as in mobile devices and wearables."

If chat is correct I would have though that Q_NMOS_GDSD would be used for the IDLE-OUT and HVM NMOS for the high current output..?

When I assembled the board I seem to remember the two mosfets coming in the same packet, also the markings and form factor are identical. I read the markings on the mosfet and the seem to read IRLD024 which is the mosfet below:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/427/ ... 768716.pdf

To me there seems to be a discrepancy between the circuit diagram and what I have on the board. I guess I should just go with what I have on the board as it shouldn't be a problem....?
By Izzy46
What you are trying to achieve is not clear to me, Is this meant to connect to the idle up input of the D-Stage analog DBW controller? the circuit that you have is for driving a solenoid. The D-Stage idle-up circuit requires you to send a voltage/current to it - it is is just the base of a transistor. the D-stage schematics are here:
https://github.com/DStageGarage/Electro ... l.docx.pdf
This is the best description of what I'm trying to do. Please forgive me if I'm not clear :) :) :)
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 3.34.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 3.34.31 PM.png (899.35 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
Essentially I've hooked the TPS to the ETC and the ETC to the TB as in the diagram. The TB responds appropriately to movements from the TPS. My issue is getting the idle to function.

As the D-Stage manual suggests I've connected Speeduino's IDLE-OUT (pin 37) to the IAC pad on D-Stage.
"On the left hand side there are 7 pads in total. The one marked as IAC is connected to the ECU idle PWM signal". (pin 37).

Essentially I've connected the IDLE-OUT from Speeduino
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 3.42.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 3.42.39 PM.png (26.29 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
To this circuit on DStage
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 3.45.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 3.45.07 PM.png (88.93 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
I can get voltage up to leg 2 on the IDLE-OUT mosfet on Speedy but nothing beyond that.

As an experiment I setup an Arduino Uno with an output of 50% PWM at 490Hz. I then jumped this output to the IAC pad on the ETC. The butterfly on the TB opened about 15*.

I know that the ETC can function correctly given the right input on the IAC pad. I also know that Speedy is trying to send an output from MCU-D5 (I know this because the output voltage of this pin changes when I change the PWM cranking duty cycle on TunerStudio).

The issue I can't resolve is getting Speedy's output from MCU-D5 past the mosfet and onto the IAC pad.

I know I must be missing some key details and frameworks but this is how my simple mind understands the problem at the moment :| :| :|
Idle out will show no voltage if there isn't 12V switched getting to it. What voltage do you see on each leg of D16? It should show battery voltage on one side and lower voltage when idle is active on the other. When idle isn't active it should be battery voltage on one side and ~.6 lower on the other.

Without voltage there, the mosfet isn't switching anything to generate PWM signal.
By Izzy46
apollard wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:05 pm Idle out will show no voltage if there isn't 12V switched getting to it. What voltage do you see on each leg of D16? It should show battery voltage on one side and lower voltage when idle is active on the other. When idle isn't active it should be battery voltage on one side and ~.6 lower on the other.

Without voltage there, the mosfet isn't switching anything to generate PWM signal.
I get 12v on the right leg (cathode), on the left leg (anode) I get 0.098v. I got the same readings for D13 on the high current circuit.
By DStage
Hi

SOrry, I hven't yet read all of the above posts. The solution you're looking for is as I've written in my email quite simple and same as PSIG suggested - use a pull-up resistor like so:
Attachments
pullup for IAC.png
pullup for IAC.png (24.87 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
BMW E23 M30B28

Okay, I managed to start the engine. The &quot[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Niiiice... 8-) Looking forward to your updates![…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?