For anything related to the 'official' Speeduino boards (Eg v0.3, v0.4 etc)
Hi there

I am a little bit electronics noob, so please bear with me.

I have assembled a 0.4.3d board and want to mount it into a factory ECU case, and the case is conductive and the screw/bolts are conductive.

There are 3 holes that are available to mount the board but one hole goes through the body of a STP62NS04Z when it is laying flat on the PCB. The body connector of the STP62NS04Z is connected to the middle pin... but it doesn't seem to be directly connected to the Ground pin on the board.

I'm guessing it's not correct/safe to ground the body of the STP62NS04Z as it isn't already connected to ground?
The STP will not function if the tab is connected to the board or case. Typically, mounting would use insulating washers and non-conductive bolts or screws to ensure there are no unintended electrical paths. Nylon or other non-conductive hardware from online sources or the local store is popular.
Thanks - I ended up using non conductive washers and filing down the thread of the top of the bolt and putting heatshrink on it.

Still not sure why there are holes through the board there - they look like mount holes... but only if used carefully.
pete12 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:36 amStill not sure why there are holes through the board there
They are typically used through the matching holes in a Mega board to secure the Mega to the PCB, not to secure to a case. As LPG said, case slots are typically used for that. Most use zip-ties or nylon bolts to secure them together, or snap-in spacers/standoffs as mentioned here.
pete12 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:36 am Thanks - I ended up using non conductive washers and filing down the thread of the top of the bolt and putting heatshrink on it.
Still not sure why there are holes through the board there - they look like mount holes... but only if used carefully.

It wasn't uncommon with through-hole boards - an insulator kit was used, they come with a mica or heat conductive pad and a 'top-hat' nylon spacer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264405132013?h ... R9iQsufLYQ

Hi there, I'm doing preliminary research and hope[…]

BMW E23 M30B28

Where did the plugs come from? I've heard there ar[…]

Injected 2 stroke Bultaco

Alternator testing. Its a 3 phase circa 200w alter[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?