For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By PSIG
I had drafted a response to @BrianShaw at the time, and misplaced it. I came across it again, and I'm going to post it for the value it may have to others that come along for one way to look at custom EFI for best and quickest success. It's not about getting instructions, it's about getting concepts, and it's intended to help.
BrianShaw wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:21 am Oh That sounded bad once I read it. Board is A++ duly noted and impressed with quality. It's easy to assemble and labeled well. …
So my system doesn't work for whatever reason. I have 100 hrs in this project and I didn't follow the directions? :) … I didn't mean to offend anyone but is there anyone who has the balls to let there 15 yr old daughter drive out in the ocean with a system like this?
It's good, Brian. I can tell you're frustrated, and I mean all of this constructively. The "system" works. Whether it will work for you depends on how and how well you apply it. Issues are usually relatively simple, and you just have to find it and fix it. We don't care if it's the board's fault, a component defect, or an incorrect setting you made. Whatever. It's a problem, and it just needs fixing. I hope you can assume we are all here helping you to do exactly that.

The concept is that these are DIY devices and support, some of it employing the cheapest grades of components in China, far from automotive or aviation grade. You can option up on those components, but if the general concept leaves you deeply anxious, then this may not be the path for you.

The ultimate reliability is mostly centered on the quality of installation. That part is up to you. I have no problem with driving long distances in the back areas at night, but the boards, components and installations have earned their trust. They need to earn yours now, and a crap installation with crap components and a crap tune will have crap reliability. No, I agree and also don't use my balls or ego to decide to endanger my daughter, and instead provide whatever is needed to make it all safe. I never go out on the ocean without safety supplies and gear, comm's, nav, and anything else required to make a bad day just a funny story. I have plenty of stories. :lol:
BrianShaw wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:21 amThe only criticism I have about any of this is the lack of published details. I know it's growing but I can't find an example of what I am doing and if anyone is they are not talking or sharing.
Actually, this isn't about details and specifics. It is about concepts. This is very important, as instead of "do A and then B", you learn the requirements or parameters which can then be applied to anything. This way you are free to use whatever components you like, knowing they have to receive or provide a certain output or function to work with Speeduino. Concepts remove limits. Instructions (A>B) only provide a single path, that has no alternatives and fails if everything isn't perfect.

Factual answers without attitude:
"Most of the data is all general not specific and it's going to stay that way until the community grows."
The Speeduino community is large, and EFI community is huge. That isn't the issue, unless you are looking for instructions instead of concepts to apply. Others had to get the concepts to make instructions, and getting them yourself frees you to do whatever you imagine. Don't underrate yourself!

"For example when designing the trigger wheel, how much flex in the wheel is there going to be at 8000 RPM."
I have no idea, and really don't care until I find a problem with it, which I never have. That's not a bad attitude, just a fact. If you care, then you could do some tests or more research to find out, and report it to everyone who wants it with how you got it. Go for it!

Hmm . how much metal does a GM sensor need to read.
I don't know that either, but there are many posts on sensor action and sensitivity to read if you want an answer in concepts to apply to your project. Concept - perhaps the amount of metal and shape the original application used successfully could be a place to start.

"hmm When a tooth breaks off how many joules of energy can fiberglass stop."
I don't care. That's a fact, not an A-hole statement. If you care (reality-check; do you have a realistic or factual basis for your concern?), then do some research or calculations or testing until you are satisfied. Although I don't care, I'm happy to try and help if I can, because I care about the success of other future tuners. I care about other things, and maybe you can help me with those?

"Hmm What attachment requirements to the crankshaft"
Whatever you estimate or calculate will work. OEM designs and successful projects can provide working examples and concepts. Concept - what forces apply to your attachment? How would you determine a suitable attachment from that? Is this issue worth a testing program, or just trial and error? Reality-check; it only has to be held centered and true, and not fly off at maximum speed. As those forces are relatively low, the solution is somewhere better than adhesive tape and less than a machined billet assembly. Then again, I've seen optical trigger wheels made from cardboard, so… ;)

"Hmm Being the sensor has pull up resistors what are my jumper settings. Hmm No answers on WiKi just generalities."
Actually there are specifics, and the concept is that a Hall signal needs a high and a low of specific voltages, in order to provide the described signal required. As a Hall is typically a grounding switch (ground is low), the high must be provided by a pullup. Do a simple test on your sensor output with a meter. If your sensor already has an internal pullup, then you don't need to add a jumper for another one, right? Concepts, not instructions.

"I can go on for a while. It's all hardware."
And It's all concepts that you find how to apply to your project. Most are simple. Some are deep or convoluted. We all had to learn some of them to be successful, and now it's your turn. Have fun when you can as it is all positive, whether it's a fun challenge, an opportunity to make it better, or just getting your head around it to get it done.

"Thanks for answering my questions it gets me further along."
You are not here to serve us. We are not here to serve you. We are all here to help each other to help ourselves. Isn't that cool? 8-)

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?