For any add-on boards such as VR conditioners, optos and OEM interface boards
By dazq
I am currently working on a replacement EPB (electronic park brake or e-brake).
I am using calipers from TRW who supply many manufacturers Inc BMW,VAG ,Fiat ,Ford etc.

The calipers are of the type with the motor fitted directly onto the actual caliper itself though I see no reason the motor system that uses a Bowden cable and a single motor should be any issues in fact my early work used just such an setup from a jaguar s type(also f and xf).
Hardware wise I am using a dual motor driver module based on the vnh5019 with a esp32 wroom MCU board attached. These are both Arduino Uno form factor so easy to use, but they could easily be shrunk onto a single custom board at a later date.
Initially the module will be standalone ,but I hope to add self apply and release later taking data from speedy and perhaps OEM .
I will be using canbus to interface to the rest of the vehicle and my speedy .
I wonder if it's really necessary to be able to have it link to speedy via secondary serial??

More soon but any thoughts always welcome
By dazq
Forgot to mention, config and monitoring is via TS.
Supply voltage ,motor currents ,current states etc all available or configurable
By PSIG
Some early electric Park brakes simply used the trans Park position (physical or signal) to enable-disable. I haven't thought about it, but does it need to be more complicated?
By dazq
PSIG wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:05 pm Some early electric Park brakes simply used the trans Park position (physical or signal) to enable-disable. I haven't thought about it, but does it need to be more complicated?
That's a useful option of activation to have in addition , but could cause issues if the driven axle is not the braked axle.
By PSIG
I guess that depends on how you intend to use it. Is it an automatic parking brake and cable replacement, or do you envision other functions? There are pros and cons to EPB, so would you share your vision? 8-)
By Mr_Hypnotic
This seems like an interesting project. I have recently started looking into EPB's. I am planning an axle swap on my Jeep and other interior "upgrades". Removing the manual lever frees up some room and the parking brake on the new axle isn't readily compatible with the existing hardware. I envisioned using manual engagement. Independent wheel operation would be interesting (cutting brake ;) ).
By dazq
PSIG wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:20 pm I guess that depends on how you intend to use it. Is it an automatic parking brake and cable replacement, or do you envision other functions? There are pros and cons to EPB, so would you share your vision? 8-)
The main drive for this project has been lack of space on this build.By using the EPB calipers frees up a LOT and reduces fab time ( this is a one of build with a clean slate , so no mounting for hand lever, cable guides, etc etc ).

In the beginning I was using a system from the jaguar s and xf models.this is a single motor pulling on the two typical cables that ran from fairly STD rear calipers(hydraulic foot with cable hand/e brake). But even that left me with space issues!

So I moved on to the fully integrated type calipers.

What I would like is to have is at least a replacement operation of the handbrake lever via switch and perhaps later auto operation as per recent OEM.
By dazq
Mr_Hypnotic wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:36 pm This seems like an interesting project. I have recently started looking into EPB's. I am planning an axle swap on my Jeep and other interior "upgrades". Removing the manual lever frees up some room and the parking brake on the new axle isn't readily compatible with the existing hardware. I envisioned using manual engagement. Independent wheel operation would be interesting (cutting brake ;) ).
Independent wheel operation is perfectly possible as the module has two independent driver chips for each motor .you would just need to have two switches or perhaps three, one per side and one to do do both.

Another feature you may find helpful/useful also would be to apply the braking force manually and not to fully in under one switch press .
This is something many OEMs do during MOT testing mode.
When the car is set into this test mode it allows you to progressively apply and release the brake force .once max force is applied the current protection stops any damage to motors/mechanism
Last edited by dazq on Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By runesm
The slight-apply is also a really useful feature, in legal demand in europe atleast, for emergency stop in case both brake lines burst.

The auto-apply/release can really just boil down to, for release, either activity on the clutch/brake switch, and for apply, ign-off, by having the circuit on a constant and a ign-signal.

Interesting project you have going here
By PSIG
Cool. 8-) As you create the project outline, I would like to add a few "universal" features that could be applied to specific projects. Wish List examples could be:
  1. basic switch (full on/off from high or low input, serial 0/1, etc)
  2. rotary input (dial the force and press (switch above) to engage/disengage)
  3. multi-button panel operation (switches or touch data) for per-wheel braking (cutting),
  4. Serial and CAN options to integrate to whatever else.
I would look to combine these functions, such as a rotary dial switch combining #1 and #2, adding a #3 5-button for cutting with adjustable drag, e.g., selectable by wheel (press#1 > LF > dial drag; press#2 > RF …), etc. How's that addition to your planning doc? :lol:
BMW E23 M30B28

Ignore my previous posts, I'm an idiot. Turns out […]

He's quite prolific with respect to video and elec[…]

I’m thinking it’s the voltage regulato[…]

HAHA Thank you! Ok got it the outer part of the […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?