Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By zwelsh91
That screw is the return stop. It's only purpose is to keep the primary throttle blade from closing tight and wearing the housing out. there is a procedure for setting the return stop. If you do a search on vwvortex.com you should be able to find a write-up on how to do it. the long and short is that you want the blade to close with no gap and not have any stiction as you begin to open the blade by hand by rotating the throttle linkage.

There should be a 7mm hex head brass screw on the back of the throttle body. If you remove it all the way, it should either be flat (early rabbit) or pointed on the end and have an o-ring on it. that is your idle adjustment screw. it opens and closes an air bypass in the throttle body.

What size (cc/min) are the new injectors you bought?

Duly noted on the TPS. That would explain why the log shows partial throttle. I would suggest working on getting the VE table, timing etc fixed first. The TPS is most likely fine at this point.

something that stands out to me in your tune when I open it (as a temporary project) is that the required fuel dialog shows: displacement 350cc, 4 cyl, 30cc/min if I then press ok it returns 19.6ms for req_fuel (that is drowning in fuel with 245cc injectors). when I put in displacement 1800cc, 4cyl, and 245cc/min it returns 12.3ms after I press ok. you may want to check into that.

I also noticed a fairly large amount of sync loss in your log something in the neighborhood of 57. That is a ton.

I have attached a copy of my current tune, a log of my drive home today (if you are interested) and my current spark table. you can load the spark table by clicking the green down arrow at the top right of the spark table screen in ts and then selecting the table file. I also attached a basic starting point VE table for the 1800.

Keep working at it my friend before you know it you'll be cruising down the road in that thing.
Attachments
(855 Bytes) Downloaded 70 times
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
zwelsh91 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:34 am What size (cc/min) are the new injectors you bought?

something that stands out to me in your tune when I open it (as a temporary project) is that the required fuel dialog shows: displacement 350cc, 4 cyl, 30cc/min if I then press ok it returns 19.6ms for req_fuel (that is drowning in fuel with 245cc injectors). when I put in displacement 1800cc, 4cyl, and 245cc/min it returns 12.3ms after I press ok. you may want to check into that.

I also noticed a fairly large amount of sync loss in your log something in the neighborhood of 57. That is a ton.

I have attached a copy of my current tune, a log of my drive home today (if you are interested) and my current spark table. you can load the spark table by clicking the green down arrow at the top right of the spark table screen in ts and then selecting the table file. I also attached a basic starting point VE table for the 1800.

Keep working at it my friend before you know it you'll be cruising down the road in that thing.
The injectors are 19lb new school style. I had to correct them in the tune a couple times but once it burned correctly I could definitely tell there was less fuel in the air.

I have noticed the weird project thing a couple times. Sometimes it displays the correct number with the wrong measurement. As in it would be 1.8 but have cubic inches selected. I have not updated the firmware of the ECU even though I have the latest tuner Studio. I don't know if that would cause a lot of trouble or not.
I'll give the spark table a try tomorrow.
I didn't expect the sync loss to be so much.
I didn't really get an answer but I matched the sensor in the drop-down to the only style that Speedy EFI uses. After a little poking around on the internet it seems like most people don't have the vacuum for the fuel pressure regulator and the map sensor hooked together. I wasn't really thinking about that. I still don't probably have proper vacuum but it started up and ran on its own with no throttle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Al7XZq ... p=drivesdk

That's actually the second startup and I let it run with no throttle until it died.
By zwelsh91
Awesome!!!!!!!
That log looks way better. Idle was good, MAP was reading realistic numbers and TPS looked good. All you need to do is figure out why it died and why it is racking up massive sync loss and then you can move on to tuning. Your idle AFR was looking in the good range to me a little on the rich side but good.

I notice that the log starts at 189 sync losses and ends at 195. since you have a paid version of TS you can customize the dashboard (gauge layout) and add a sync loss counter so you can watch it while cranking and running to see if at what time during running you are seeing the sync losses. I only see sync loss right as I key off and the speeduino and engine are powering down. usually around 2-5 sync losses after key off at the end of the log, none cranking and none running.

You are making progress, keep up the good work!

The vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator is for a valve that opens while running and closes to hold residual fuel pressure on top of the injectors it is meant to make starting easier. you can hook it to a "ported" vacuum source meaning that there is an on/off vacuum signal. I have mine hooked up and have no problems. do you suspect you are having a fuel pressure problem?
By soultron
It very well could be that I have a fuel pressure issue. It definitely starts to die when I try to give it throttle. I have to ease into it.
Sorry about all the Google Drive links. My PC still thinks of this forum has a phishing site so I have to do all of this on my phone.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18xOr5c ... p=drivesdk

I added the gauge.
I made an adjustment on the trigger wheel to make sure everything was lined up at 20° and it seems to be syncing a lot better.
By PSIG
soultron wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:50 pm… After a little poking around on the internet it seems like most people don't have the vacuum for the fuel pressure regulator and the map sensor hooked together. I wasn't really thinking about that. I still don't probably have proper vacuum but it started up and ran on its own with no throttle.
If your fuel pressure regulator (FPR) has a vacuum connection, use it, normally connected independently to manifold vacuum. Not to sidetrack with trivia, but to assure others of the purpose; the vacuum in the manifold acts on the regulator's internal diaphragm to reduce fuel pressure when manifold pressure is reduced. This has two important effects:
  1. The vacuum-referenced pressure creates a more linear fuel delivery as it helps to maintain a more constant pressure differential between the fuel rail and the manifold pressures. This can also affect things like injector latency (dead time).
  2. Due to both the more linear response and the reduced pressure at low loads (idle, cruise, etc), the fuel delivery can be more finely controlled. Helpful in most setups, and important when using large or oversized injectors. In extreme situations, the ratio of pressure change rate is increased and the regulator is known as a rising-rate or RRFPR.
Without vacuum connected, your fueling will be richer at less than full-throttle, for the same settings. BTW, TBI systems do not typically use vacuum-referenced FPRs, as the injectors are usually above the throttle blades, and not subject to manifold pressure differential.
I had trouble on tip-in as well. I am still getting it ironed out but at the moment I have Acceleration Enrichment set up in a satisfactory state. Remember that every engine is different and you will most likely need to tune the VE table along with AE and other settings to get optimum performance.

I'll attach my current AE for an example, but it is only one piece of the puzzle. I have tuned AE more than once after making changes to the VE table. I have found that VE, Spark and AE work hand in hand and all have an effect on each other.

Thanks PSIG for the info on vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulators. That is some great info.
Attachments
ae.PNG
ae.PNG (83.2 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
PSIG, thanks for that clarification. It seems like information on the Internet is split on vacuum but your explanation makes sense to me so I'm going with that.

After doing a little research on AE and comparing mine to what you have, I definitely need to do make adjustments. Image

70‰ can't be helpful. The tps is still odd, showing 30 when switched on but dropping to 5 when I kick the throttle. My connections seem fine but if it's not the cheap tps I suppose it could be noise?
By PSIG
soultron wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:22 pm70‰ can't be helpful. The tps is still odd, showing 30 when switched on but dropping to 5 when I kick the throttle.
I would continue to look into that, as the TPS should be solid and predictable. IIRC, Speeduino will detect down to 35%/s, so don't leave that capability off the table. However, reviewing your logs in MLV will show you how the engine is responding, and where it is lacking or drowning in fuel. Same goes for ignition advance.

Note with either TS or MLV, the data is both a series of data, and sensors are responding and reporting at different times. This means the data response is staggered in time on a graph, and things like WBO2 (delayed by exhaust speed and sensor response) must be viewed for when it actually occurred. ;) TS is primarily for settings and real-time monitoring, while MLV is for viewing and analyzing data (current and logged) for tuning. Different tools. Use both tools when possible, and especially MLV for tuning, making changes in TS. Both require learning to use well.
soultron wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:22 pm It seems like information on the Internet is split on vacuum
That does not mean it is opposed, and I would appreciate links to these "split" indications. It is quite likely a different workaround or method to solve a specific issue, but I'm always curious to see what those are. Please post some links. 8-)
I decided to give this a shot before bed and did very minimal adjustments to the enrichment. I didn't have to completely baby the throttle ( I kind of did for my neighbors). I'm still reading up on how it works but I think I'm getting it. I will be purchasing MLV soon. Its definitely worth understanding more of what's going on.
PSIG wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:46 pm That does not mean it is opposed, and I would appreciate links to these "split" indications. It is quite likely a different workaround or method to solve a specific issue, but I'm always curious to see what those are. Please post some links. 8-)
Looking back at some of these it's half on me for searching too broadly. A search last night matched your comment and the only thing I did different was focus on manifold vaccum and not throttle body/ported info.
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/perf ... lator.html
Last edited by soultron on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Injected 2 stroke Bultaco

Alternator testing. Its a 3 phase circa 200w alter[…]

BMW E23 M30B28

Okay, I managed to start the engine. The &quot[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?