For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By pazi88
My next contribution for this project. PCB for BMW m52tu/m54 engines, so this will replace original PCB inside ms42/ms43 ecus:

As you see from the pictures, this PCB is based on DIY-EFI Core4 unit mostly for lack of space to put regular mega 2650 there. This also makes basic assembly really easy, because to do that, only few easy SMD components need to be soldered plus connector and pin headers for Core4. And it's ready to run the engine. The Core4 should be soon available on DIY-EFI website: https://diy-efi.co.uk/

Thread about Core4 on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1690

Features on current PCB revision:

- Fully plug and play for m52tu, m54 needs to be downgraded to cable driven throttle. (ETC control coming in future)
- Can accept SMD or through hole MAP sensor.
- Place for bluetooth module including voltage divider for RX-line.
- Place for Spartan 2 OEM wideband controller and 6-pin mini-fit connector for connecting the sensor.
- Wired to monitor stock oil and radiator outlet temp sensors.
- Can also control exhaust vanos, DISA, stock A/C fan, E-thermostat, exhaust flap and tank vent.
(These are not currently supported in Speeduino FW, but I will do some work to get at least the useful ones to work. But these can be also re-purposed for other uses like just pull the tank vent off and replace it with WV N75 (same connector) and you have boost solenoid installed without need for any extra wiring.)
- Can-interface to drive stock e46/e38/e39 instrument cluster. (Currently working on arduino-code to make this work)
- 6-pin mini-fit for boost control, flexfuel input etc. same as in my previous designs.
- third 6-pin mini-fit for Serial 3 and Can-bust towards the car. (these are also shared with the built-in can interface)

Like the previous PCB's this one is meant to replace the original PCB inside ms42/43 ecu and reuse the case and connector. But luckily in this case the connectors are available from many places, so need take the original connector and destroy the stock ecu PCB. The connector manufacturer is AMP/TE-connectivity and part number is: 967 288 Those are available from mouser for example: https://www.mouser.fi/ProductDetail/571-7-967288-1

I must note that this is currently work in progress and I haven't tested everything. I got few of the 1.0 revisions of the PCB made but that one had few serious issues. I got those ones sorted out and I have my m52tu running on this and everything seems to work. So if someone needs I have the rev 1.1 available here in by github: https://github.com/pazi88/Speeduino-M5x ... /Rev%201.1 that has the problems sorted that I have found so far. I still wouldn't rush to get PCB made, unless you want to test yourself that everything works as it should.

EasyEDA project: https://easyeda.com/pazi88/ms42-43-comp ... -PnP-Core4
Last edited by pazi88 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Rafa_bmx
Good job, i've been runing speeduino based ecu's on this engines as PnP units since last year but without the CAN control on the cluster, i think this is a great idea, those clusters are very popular now for gamers using them on racing simulators as well.

good job
By Broke4speed
The TU engines have dual VANOS, correct? I'm considering BMW-swapping my 84 Volvo and have many engine choices at my local junkyard...but no E36 cars :(. Can an M52TU/M54 be run without activating VANOS? I know the M52 can, but I don't know much about the TU/54 engines.

I saw your instagram post about these and got pretty stoked :).
By pazi88
Broke4speed wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:40 pm The TU engines have dual VANOS, correct? I'm considering BMW-swapping my 84 Volvo and have many engine choices at my local junkyard...but no E36 cars :(. Can an M52TU/M54 be run without activating VANOS? I know the M52 can, but I don't know much about the TU/54 engines.

I saw your instagram post about these and got pretty stoked :).
I personally consider these m52tu and m54 engines much better than their predecessor, so I would be happy to swap one in instead of m52/m50. The better vanos and disa makes torque curve so wide that these feel like driving bigger engine than it really is.

And I'm not that worried the system being dual vanos, because the exhaust vanos is mainly emission thing and it has very minor effect on power and torque output. The intake vanos and disa makes the magic happen. And the intake cam can be driven in on/off mode but because it has so wide adjustment range and fast responses, the engine behaviour is bit edgy in on/off mode. Luckily Josh has already made commints for closed loop vvt, and should take long it to be available for missing tooth decoder. So it will solve the intake vanos problem.

Then also the disa needs to be controlled but it only needs 3D RPM/MAP (or tps) map like vvt has currently. It doesn't need to millisecond accurate timing so it can be done even without free timers. Shouldn't be too hard to implement that, so I will try to work on that after I get instrument cluster working. That kind of general purpose 3D on/off map could be usefull for other use cases too.
By Broke4speed
I will be watching very closely, thanks for your hard work!
I have a feeling as soon as the Core4 goes on sale, I'll be building one of these ecus as well :).
By pazi88
curtis12321 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:47 am Pazi , will you be redesigning any of your other BMW boards to make use for the Core4 Platform?
Probably not, unless I somehow get lot more free time :D There isn't other benefit than easier assembly from switching to core4. And that will come with some extra cost. But I will probably make teensy variant. Because of.. reasons..
Vauhtivaunu wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:46 pm Pazi is a Wizard. I know it already, but I wait for ETC. Then this desing will rocket to moon :shock:
Thanks :D Hopefully I get the instrument cluster working soon, so I can then start with the ETC.

Had it running for a short period again. Same as […]

Ok, here is the first version of the adapter plate[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

don't load your old tune in case it is corrupted[…]

Yes, totally wrong setting. Slight noise in TPS ca[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?