For anything related to the 'official' Speeduino boards (Eg v0.3, v0.4 etc)
By infernozx
I did search, and maybe I'm not using the right search terms, but I didn't find anything. So:

Are the specific types of components vital to the operation of the board?

By that I mean, the BOM specs specific parts, and specific manufacturers. I've read a little about what sets these parts apart from others, but I'm still fairly new to the building an ECU game.

For example, the BOM specs (on a v0.4.3):

"CAP CER 0.22UF 50V 10% RADIAL"

Then it has a Kemet part number, and information. Was this just done because that's what DigiKey stocks? Or is there a more specific reason?

The volts seem really high (50v) there should be no reason for anything in an ECU to need much over 15v? Or am I missing something?

My big question I suppose is, "Can I use any 0.22UF Radial cap?"

I'm trying to see if I can lower my barrier to entry here. The parts list makes up a significant portion of the cost of entry. (We have $15 Megas, and $12 boards, but then the parts list runs you up into the $80-100 range.) I know a lot of stuff can be sourced from China for cheaper, but sometimes they don't have these specific parts, or even exact clones.

Before someone gets on the "Buy quality american parts, its your car!" thing, that's all well and good, but I'd like to try to lower the barrier to entry as I said, and some people are willing to deal with getting the odd resistor that they need to replace in exchange for saving themselves $30-40.

Another example is resistors. In previous builds I've done the author will spec a pulldown resistor. And normally it'll just be "you need a pull down" you do a little math, come up with a range, and see what's in the bin of resistors you have. If some of these are like that, presumably we could be buying a variety pack of resistors form China, and be in the $0.01/component range, instead of the $0.10. When you factor that over needed 8, and building say 4 boards between a couple of buddies, you might be bringing the cost down $2, a board just in resistors.

Thoughts?
By PSIG
Great question, and the BOM serves two types of people. The spec data is what the designer has chosen (for whatever reasons) in order to work properly in the circuit, considering factors such as flyback voltage, and the very 'dirty' automotive electrical environment. Most parts are chosen to survive these things, often rated 35V or much higher to be safe. Generally, 15V won't cut it if exposed to the typical system. However, you are free to substitute by your choice for spec's or cost.

So, if you "know what you are doing", you can use the BOM spec's to choose similar or 'better' parts at lower cost. If you don't know the reasons why a particular part was specified; an example of that part is provided with a part number, that can either be used directly, or be used to search suppliers for equivalent parts. It is provided as a convenience. Unless the part number is one that is necessary from that particular manufacturer in order to function correctly, shop-around as you like. 8-)

David
By JHolland
infernozx wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:24 pm The volts seem really high (50v) there should be no reason for anything in an ECU to need much over 15v? Or am I missing something?

Many things probably, three things to consider are:
The load dump for 12V automotive applications is specified as up to 100V for up to 400ms, the normal working range is 6V to 18V.
The dielectric constant of a ceramic capacitor means that at its max. rated working voltage the capacitance is reduced to around 10% of the nominal value so its common to double the voltage rating above what the actual voltage is. On the Vbat rail 35V is marginal and 50V is usually the next step up.
Transient voltages will be present on the Vbat rail and could be much higher than the nominal battery voltage, for instance the injector FETS may clamp at 75V depending on which ones are used.
Jeep transmission compatibility

Wanting to replace the old crappy Chrysler PCM in […]

blitzbox

Hi, It seems I can’t blame the error with t[…]

Thank you all for your input. I have managed to g[…]

Working on adding some different wheel definitions[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?