For anything related to the 'official' Speeduino boards (Eg v0.3, v0.4 etc)
By Classictinker
Hi all.

On a V0.3.6b board can C14 be swapped for a 47uF 16v Tant or does it have to be 6.3v. I read that the voltage rating of a capacitor effects how it handles ripple with lower voltage ratings coping better than high voltage rated caps so I thought I should ask as 6.3v must have been chosen for a reason.
By turboedge
Given everything else the same a higher voltage rating is more robust but more costly. Since the working voltage is 5V no more than 6.3V is required. I however usually get 10V units as I don't like running them that close to there rating. I have seen way too many closely rated capacitors on dead computer motherboards, granted those were electrolytic.

Weaver
By JHolland
Generally speaking for the same case size and value the lower voltage rating will also come with a lower ESR. The ESR of C14 is critical to the stability of the regulator so if you do swap it you must ensure that the part that you chose will guarantee stability across the temperature range
By PSIG
@JHolland - I randomly pulled-up 10V, 16V and 20V caps for comparison, showing 1.7, 1.3 and 1.2 ohms ESR. Would these all be stable for this circuit or not? How do we determine that?

David
Tant 10-16-20.jpg
Tant 10-16-20.jpg (79.9 KiB) Viewed 3316 times

What is in the stock ECU? some of them don't use a[…]

Jeep transmission compatibility

Wanting to replace the old crappy Chrysler PCM in […]

blitzbox

Hi, It seems I can’t blame the error with t[…]

Thank you all for your input. I have managed to g[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?