For anything you'd like to see added to Speeduino
By VWSam00Cleveland
Has anybody had any success with a sequential 6 cylinder setup as yet?

I’m currently running with paired injectors

I did have a go at tweaking the latest software to support 6 cylinders but the Arduino board didn’t have the timer capability to make it happen

I was pondering the idea of running 2 seperate boards for 3 cylinders each, I know it will be a PITA to tune, unsure whether 2 seperate ECU’s or a master/slave setup would work best (if it could be done)....... thoughts ?
By V6vintage
I'm quite sure that the Teensy 3.5 board *might* have the capability to run 6 cyl sequential in the future, because it is a faster board. I'm not sure whether there are enough spare outputs or not though ... but there probably are.

I'm still new here so am not going to make any bold claims :lol:

A guy on here may be able to chip in (josh stewart), here's one of his videos!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTAWZpK1iw
By noisymime
I think this has been coming up again and again since about 2014 :D

If you're deadset on having 6 cyl sequential, it would be possible to run 2 boards, each controlling 3 channels. You'd setup originally on a single board and semi-seq, get the tune right and then move the same table onto another controller. It would be a little messing around, but it should give you a relatively good starting position.

Jus to ask a question that I've been posing for years on this... What benefit are you specifically looking for from full sequential that you're not seeing with semi-seq?
By JHolland
How does the stock ECU handle long injector durations? On many ECUs that I've worked on a second pulse is added after the primary pulse. That's not supported by Speeduino so you would need to run one long pulse which may cause issues with fuel pressure and maximum injector duty cycle. For ECUs like these then batch injection works better.
By VWSam00Cleveland
Hey Noisymine

Main reason I wanted to go full sequential was purely to make the engine more efficient (thought process there was that you have 2 injectors providing the same fuel pulse twice per cycle rather than once, I get that the injector on time will probably be reduced to compensate but still fuel used overall with sequential - correct me if I am wrong? )

I also didn't really like the idea of having non atomized fuel sitting in the other intake port ready to be sucked into the bore on the next intake stroke, washing bores, ETC - I know this is probably going to be minimal, perhaps I'm being anal but just a thought.

On that note, does anybody have experience on fuel knock at an injected fuel quantity with batch vs. sequential injection ? - be interesting to see the differences

I'm currently using the Teensy 3.5 in a gearbox controller (Audi 0B5 7 Speed DSG) and quite like working with it :)

Has anybody done a master/slave setup with speeduino before ?

for those interested, the engine in the car is a AAA VR6 from VW, bored to a 3.0, 8.5:1 CR (pistons), forged rods and the original forged crank, running a holset HX40, toying with the idea of going bi-turbo too

This is a front engine/torque tube setup to the above 0B5 Gearbox mounted over the back axle in an AC Cobra replica on Audi S5 Running gear - completely unorthodox but who cares !!

Digital/Touchscreen dash over Raspberry pi and Arduino

All The Best

Sam
By dazq
I would be very interested to see the dash controller code? I have been looking at ford direct shift boxes recently (like dsg) but no controllers are about for aftermarket
By PSIG
VWSam00Cleveland wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:57 pmMain reason I wanted to go full sequential was purely to make the engine more efficient (thought process there was that you have 2 injectors providing the same fuel pulse twice per cycle rather than once, I get that the injector on time will probably be reduced to compensate but still fuel used overall with sequential - correct me if I am wrong? )
Sam, you caught me with a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning.;) My responses below mostly center on the specific engine's dynamics, as each engine, fuel, and specific hardware respond differently to these dynamics. After extensive research, different OEMs use different methods to accomplish different goals. Some inject 1-per cycle at a specific point to capture the entire pulse while the valve is open. Some inject only on a closed valve, in order to allow the valve and engine heat to help vaporize the fuel before the valve opens. Still others inject twice per cycle, for a combination of effects, keeping in-mind the goals of an OEM system may be entirely different than yours. ;) Also keeping in-mind that the injection timing effects change dynamically with speed, load, temperature, charge velocity, etc., and therefore are most effective in a narrow operating range. Also realizing that the larger benefit in most cases is not sequential itself, but the ability to trim specific injectors at specific pulse widths for corrected flow, improving fueling under a much wider range of operation than just timing control. . . and so on.

Lab computers and books can be filled with this stuff (and have), but the point I am trying to make is that "sequential" does not mean the same thing or have the same effects or usefulness for any two engines or user goals. Sequential, fuel and ignition trims, and similar features are great to have if you can get to the point and do the work to make them most effective. For racing teams and OEMs, it's worth it for the relatively small gains it can give to use against the competition after extensive basic tuning is already razor-sharp; but for most Speeduino users that's all rather deep and distant work for an average percent or two of gain, making it a fairly low priority in the overall scheme of things.
VWSam00Cleveland wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:57 pmI also didn't really like the idea of having non atomized fuel sitting in the other intake port ready to be sucked into the bore on the next intake stroke, washing bores, ETC - I know this is probably going to be minimal, perhaps I'm being anal but just a thought.
What is the fuel delivery scheme of your OEM design? Is it a wide-pattern fogging injector in a twisted port to carry the fuel into the cylinder while the valve is open? Or a thin stream injection to avoid fuel hitting port walls and making it directly to the closed hot valve for vaporization? I (just me) would not assume what scheme is used, for what purposes (emissions?), requiring what injector spray type, timing, pressure, etc in order to recover or improve on that scheme for my purposes. Freely admitting there are too many factors and unknowns for me to know or anticipate; I could do extensive experimentation to stumble upon something that works better for what I want. I think that type of stuff can be fun — but I'm weird that way. I would not suggest it for most Speeduino goals, and why I don't rate it a high priority.

This is what I call "incremental" racing, where you squeeze every drop of performance (power and economy) with all your basic functions and hardware, leaving you to incrementally nibble at relatively small gains that put you ahead of the other teams. A HP here, a TQ there, a pound of weight savings or a 0.001 drop in drag; it all adds-up for a winning combo. But, you have to work through the big numbers to that point in order to see those relatively little gains. That is the domain of some other systems and users, but not typically the goals of typical Speeduino users.
VWSam00Cleveland wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:57 pmOn that note, does anybody have experience on fuel knock at an injected fuel quantity with batch vs. sequential injection ? - be interesting to see the differences
Sure, but as above it will be different with every engine and fuel type, design and dynamics. That said, imagine how sharply-tuned the setup would have to be in order to see that difference? Are you at that point? Can you imagine the larger difference other factors such as injector trims, ignition timing accuracy, or temperature corrections could have on that situation beyond simple batch vs sequential? I hope you see here that I'm not throwing a wet towel on all this by any means, but rather attempting to put it all into perspective. You have long vision, which is a great thing. Wire and fire your Speedy, tune it within an inch of its life, and let us know what you find it needs to make the next best gains in the real-world for your goals. That will help both Speeduino and its users the most. 8-)

David
By jrbe
I know this is old. vwsam.., you have a post on your build? I'm interested in a bunch of what you mentioned in your original post.
Also, imho, single turbo is the better choice vs twin turbo unless it's a fitment issue or it's a sequential / staged setup.

Sequential injection helps a lot to be able to get large injector setups though emissions, especially with larger overlap cams and large injectors. Batch fired just doesn't cut it on some engine configs.
You also can have fuel pressure spikes / hammering from batching large injectors. Means uneven flow / fuel delivery. Going from batch to sequential can make the engine much more crisp and responsive, though it's a lot of tuning to get it right.

One thing I've been looking for to aid in sequential tuning is a way to add nox and co sensors. Would help to be able to "view" / tune sequential injection timing on the dyno / logs. There are diesel nox sensors now. (Could also reference it to do lean burn nox storage catalyst setups.) CO sensors for automotive use seem to only show up in gas analyzer setups.
I don't mean to hijack, just seems do-able with speeduino / teensy and seemed a sensible place to mention it.
By Bluepower
Does anyone know how to get in contact with Sam? Maybe one of the controllers of this website can send me aPM with his registered email-adres??
By ksanislo
Has anybody made any personal progress on 6 cyl sequential so far? If so, I'd love to know the state of what you're working with. If there's no existing solution in development, then I'll probably have to take a stab at this myself, as sequential ignition is a hard requirement for my v6 oddfire.

Hi there, I'm doing preliminary research and hope[…]

BMW E23 M30B28

Where did the plugs come from? I've heard there ar[…]

Injected 2 stroke Bultaco

Alternator testing. Its a 3 phase circa 200w alter[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?