Anything else whatsoever... Keep it clean though.
Yachtsman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:10 pm The engineers at Oldsmobile obviously thought there was some benefit but the bean-counters put a stop to it. The bean-counters at Triumph did the same they stopped the 16 valve TR7 just because they couldn't see much benefit. At 4000 RPM there isn't much in it , but at 6500 RPM 16 valves are worth every penny
but it is not worth any penny if the actual average engine RPM is well below the point where it will be worth a penny.
and as most cars are just floating around in city traffic with low RPM why build an engine that peaks power way up the rev range
KLAS wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm
Yachtsman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:10 pm The engineers at Oldsmobile obviously thought there was some benefit but the bean-counters put a stop to it. The bean-counters at Triumph did the same they stopped the 16 valve TR7 just because they couldn't see much benefit. At 4000 RPM there isn't much in it , but at 6500 RPM 16 valves are worth every penny
but it is not worth any penny if the actual average engine RPM is well below the point where it will be worth a penny.
and as most cars are just floating around in city traffic with low RPM why build an engine that peaks power way up the rev range
That was just an example,obviously not very good. Sports cars are bought by people who want to drive hard Not bean-counters or people who want an auto box. Triumph TR's market niche was hairy chested motoring, John Wayne not Liberace.
Last edited by Yachtsman on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
infinityedge wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:29 pm Ah, so automotive stupidity runs in your family.
Don't you know that cars built in other parts of the word commonly had the foot controls in different position's. Even on the US all Stutz Bearcats had the throttle in the middle and the clutch and brake on either side, before the first world war foot controls could be in any order

Are you so keen to rubbish what I say you no longer check your facts.
info from wicopedier
Didn't you know that only idiots screw around with widely accepted user interface standards?

(Note that pre-WWI, there weren't widely accepted standards, once everyone coalesced around the Cadillac 53 interface, deviating from that standard would be moronic)
infinityedge wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:11 pm Didn't you know that only idiots screw around with widely accepted user interface standards?

(Note that pre-WWI, there weren't widely accepted standards, once everyone coalesced around the Cadillac 53 interface, deviating from that standard would be moronic)
I did know it is a bad idea to screw with interface standards. I do know my uncle just happened to to be driving an old car. He had learned to drive with pedals in the normal position. He probably bought the car because it was shiny. I'm not a bad engineer, I just like ethanol. Why wouldn't I, it's cleaner, mostly cheaper and more powerful (if you do it right). Most of the rules specific to Petrol/Gasoline don't apply only the laws of Physics A bad engineer wouldn't know that.

Pre WW1 cars were common in austerity Briton in the 50's in until the MoT came in, as were vacant lots caused by bombs. We had nearly bankrupted ourselves in WW2, the Cadillac interface was only used because Ford and GM(Vauxhall) imposed it without discussion. Obviously a common interface is useful but don't imagine it was voluntary it was useful so no one caused a ruck, are the hand controls rationalised between Ford, AMC and GM.
It seems there are a lot of people who want the 16 valve TR7 in fact one of the after-market tuning houses do a Kit
Yachtsman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:33 pm Most of the rules specific to Petrol/Gasoline don't apply only the laws of Physics A bad engineer wouldn't know that.
Ahh yes, that unicorn factor again :lol: . But at the end of the day, chemistry proves that you still have a 30-40% energy deficit and physics says idealizing the engine as an air pump, bumping the compression will only net you 7-9%, REGARDLESS OF THE FUEL USED.

At the end of the day you are not an engineer, rather a pipe dreamer. There is a reason people such as me are designing / developing new engines, and people like you are not.

Also, the guy talking about physics struggles to understand dynamic compression. I don't see whats so hard to understand, its just "simple physics." :lol:
Yachtsman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:07 pm
It seems there are a lot of people who want the 16 valve TR7 in fact one of the after-market tuning houses do a Kit
The populous that owns this specific engine, happens to be a gear head and / or has the money, is likely quite small.
Also, I am quite sure that this "tuner derived" kit comes a a decent price premium. What kind of faith do you have in parts that have been made by an "aftermarket tuning house." The "validation" that they perform is complete garbage compared to an OEM validation. Would also be quite curious as to what else was cost reduced on that engine that may only be good for the 4000 rpm spec. Raising the red line by 2k rpm would increase the crank imbalance forces squared. THAT IS A LOT of extra stress.
klotzy_550 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:02 pm
Yachtsman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:07 pm

The populous that owns this specific engine, happens to be a gear head and / or has the money, is likely quite small.
Also, I am quite sure that this "tuner derived" kit comes a a decent price premium. What kind of faith do you have in parts that have been made by an "aftermarket tuning house." The "validation" that they perform is complete garbage compared to an OEM validation. Would also be quite curious as to what else was cost reduced on that engine that may only be good for the 4000 rpm spec. Raising the red line by 2k rpm would increase the crank imbalance forces squared. THAT IS A LOT of extra stress.
If you remember the 'Sprint' Head won a design award but the point I was making was the bean-counters shouldn't be able to direct company policy, but by then Triumph was part of BL. The TR7 was being made at Corby which was a hot-bed of politicle unrest. Most TR7's were exported to the US in fact the body shape was supposed to be something Americans would like. The TR7 is the first British sports car that you could ask for an auto gearbox without being laughed out of the building. I think engineers should design under the Bonnet/Hood, stylists can have a voice in the interior and the body shape. I think all later TR7's Should have been 16 valve.
Last edited by Yachtsman on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAP LOOKUP & TS DEFINITIONS

See how the write commands use the identifiers to […]

Ok, I feel so stupid. I was running the Uno output[…]

Let's all have a laugh for second. There's trash[…]

It has been done more than a few times, there was […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?