Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By Svetoslav
Well I've got it all set up and tried starting the engine yesterday but got nothing except a few hiccups and two very big bangs from the exhaust :(
I made a couple of logs, I can't share them at the moment because I'm away, but now I'm thinking that my timing might be very wrong. I've checked the ignition and all seems good, but I don't know if my trigger angle is set up correctly. There is some conflicting information on the internet and that's how I've set up mine:
cps.PNG
cps.PNG (95.51 KiB) Viewed 370 times
With the crank at TDC, rotation is clockwise and the sensor is pointing at the 15th tooth after the gap. I've read that with 60-2 wheel tooth 1 is the second missing and the first tooth after the two missing is number 2. Meaning that there are 16 teeth to the sensor and 16x6°=96° trigger angle.

Is that correct or I've messed up completely and should have counted in the opposite direction where I have 43 teeth x6°=258° trigger angle?
By rallikuski
Svetoslav wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:33 am
cps.PNG

With the crank at TDC, rotation is clockwise and the sensor is pointing at the 15th tooth after the gap. I've read that with 60-2 wheel tooth 1 is the second missing and the first tooth after the two missing is number 2. Meaning that there are 16 teeth to the sensor and 16x6°=96° trigger angle.

Is that correct or I've messed up completely and should have counted in the opposite direction where I have 43 teeth x6°=258° trigger angle?
This is straight from WIKI:
"Trigger angle - The angle of the crank, After Top Dead Centre (ATDC), when tooth #1 passes the sensor on the primary (crank) input."

So you count it "backwards"... Put your engine at TDC, then count teeth/degrees to first tooth AFTER missing tooth/teeth.
So if sensor points to 15th tooth then your trigger angle is 60-15=45*6deg = 270deg.
By PSIG
Don't forget, you can always fall-back to the "simple" setup, doing no calculations or counting. This simply involves disabling fuel, then cranking with a timing light to see the timing marks; adjusting Trigger Angle (TA) until cranking timing setting and timing marks match. Done.

If you can't see the crank timing mark with the timing light, change TA 90° or more and test again. Repeat until you see the timing marks, and finish adjustment. TA adjustment range is -360 to 360 (720°). Remember, calculations are only rough estimates, and final adjustment must be with a timing light, when cranking, and verified again when running.
By Svetoslav
I will get a timing light to make the final adjustments but I just want to start the car to confirm everything is ok.
I tried doing this today, but no luck. Since the new crank sensor is different size I had to make a new bracket for it. Now it is pointing at the 11th tooth with a gap of 1mm. I've set the trigger angle to 294° (60 teeth-11teeth= 49*6°=294°)
The engine seems like it's close to starting, but no, I just get a violent explosions from the exhaust.
I've triple checked the ignition wiring and it looks right. The problem have to be with the timing or the crank sensor.
What does it mean the trigger angle to be a negative number?
Please give me some advice, because I'm starting to lose it.
By Svetoslav
Okay, I managed to start the engine. The "correct" trigger angle for me is 294. The issue was the spark plugs. Don't know why ,but 4 of them were simply not sparking. They were brand new Denso, I swapped them with new ngk's and the engine started , although it won't idle without giving it some throttle.
By jonbill
Where did the plugs come from? I've heard there are fake spark plugs around from China (just like everything else)
By Svetoslav
Well, i got them from a major auto parts store in my country. I have no idea what's the issue with them, the gap is correct and they all have the same resistance, when measured, they just dont want to spark.
By Svetoslav
While I'm waiting for some parts to arrive so I can start tuning the car I decided to try wiring the tachometer. I tried wiring the tach input directly and also with a circuit that I saw in the forum with a relay coil and transistor. Neither worked.
Should I add an ULN to the board and try with it?
blitzbox

Hi, It seems I can’t blame the error with t[…]

Thank you all for your input. I have managed to g[…]

Working on adding some different wheel definitions[…]

FW 202402 6IGN compile issue

#define BOARD_H "board_avr2560.h&quot[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?