Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
Hi All,
I know this not currently supported as it is odd firing but i was wondering about the feasibility of supporting this engine. I have been using a Speeduino 3.7 board as data logger for mapping with a power commander but the PCV failed at the weekend so it go me thinking about using the Speeduino for fuel and spark (ignoring the flyby wire throttle and variable length intake - i have another MCU that can control that if needed) things to consider :-

Odd firing
Sequential 8 injectors
13750 RPM standard limit (look 14000 + after tuning)
Trigger setup - not looked at what the trigger is yet but will pull the side cover off the spare engine.

The project self is the engine in a BEC (bike engined kit car) i have been prepping for a friend of mine for sprint racing and track days here in the UK. Here is link to a video to wet your appetite for the project, You can see the Speeduino 3.7 (bodged) cabled tied to the tunnel doing logging!

https://youtu.be/70P23fECa6M
Speeduino supports odd-fire. There are so many versions of big bang that you'll have to give us the spec's. Depending on those spec's, you probably do not actually want "sequential" in the traditional sense. Trigger info is of course important. ;) There are some ETC designs on the forums and Slack channels, and Speedy may be able to handle your VIS directly, again depending on the control scheme. I look forward to following your project!

David
Hi David thanks for the reply and interest in the project, I read the spec wrong and had it my head it didn't do odd fire but as you say it does. I have had the engine on the bench this weekend and the firing order is as follows

1324 1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-
so taking cyl one TDC as 0 degrees i think it is 0,180,270,450

The exhaust cam has a trigger wheel with one notch missing looks like rising edge is cyl tdc on firing stroke.

Crank trigger is slightly odd see attached image seems to have 22 teeth with one large one rather than a missing tooth slight strange? also the large one has ears like half teeth at either end.

I guess all that will be needed for SD is a custom trigger wheel code.
Attachments
r1 big bang 14b crank trigger.jpg
r1 big bang 14b crank trigger.jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
bensharp wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pm1324 1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-
so taking cyl one TDC as 0 degrees i think it is 0,180,270,450
That looks right to me, and in TunerStudio assuming #1 is 0°, the other odd-fire angles would be entered as you listed.
bensharp wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pmThe exhaust cam has a trigger wheel with one notch missing looks like rising edge is cyl tdc on firing stroke.
I can't quite picture that with confidence, so a photo, plot, timing graph or something would help me. Also, the sensor type will need to be determined for setup.
bensharp wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pmCrank trigger is slightly odd see attached image seems to have 22 teeth with one large one rather than a missing tooth slight strange? also the large one has ears like half teeth at either end.
No worries - that would be a common 24-2 crank signal, and with the little 'ears' also indicates it would be a VR sensor on that wheel.
bensharp wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pmI guess all that will be needed for SD is a custom trigger wheel code.
This should be an easy setup, assuming the cycle signal confirms as also generic. 8-) Of course, the cycle signal would be mandatory for a 4-stroke odd-fire, so I'm eager to verify what that puppy is. I bet you get some weird looks with your 'marching drum' idle.

David
Great so the speeduino will support the crank trigger stock? Even thought the missing teeth are present rather than missing if that makes sense. Crank is def a VR sensor. I guess being VR as there is no steady state signal the present rather missing teeth don't matter... just figuring that in my head!

RE the cam / cylinder identification sensor this is a hall effect or magnetic electronic sensor as most are. 3pin 5v, SIG, 0v.

See image of the cam trigger wheel.
R1 14b cam sensor.jpg
R1 14b cam sensor.jpg (82.8 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
R1 14b cam sensor2.jpg
R1 14b cam sensor2.jpg (272.35 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
Its does sound nice! kinda like half a V8 :) i will post a sound clip at some point.

I have a teensy 3.5 powered board coming from Nick to run it with.

Hi there, I'm doing preliminary research and hope[…]

BMW E23 M30B28

Where did the plugs come from? I've heard there ar[…]

Injected 2 stroke Bultaco

Alternator testing. Its a 3 phase circa 200w alter[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?