For discussion of anything related to the Speeduino documentation wiki
By dazq
I don't think your assessment of DIY build is fair or true.
There is no reason that a home built board should be any less reliable or suffer in quality than a board from an official source as you call them.
If you correctly assemble the bom recommended parts and a PCB board supplier you will have a unit of the same std that would come from one of these suppliers . Obviously that last sentence is the key to it being so.

Secondly you need an MCU option/selection . Even say a vo4 for example "could" be built using a teensy or stm32 MCU and not just the mega. Perhaps it may be better to state what MCU the boards were designed for but can be used with other such MCU as an alternative?

Lastly ,we get so so many questions about expansion, specifically can and secondary serial. The grid would do well to show if a board has support for these or if optional MCU or modules could give the board support for that.
By Logicaluk
Thanks Daz I really appreciate the time you took for the feedback.
It's not actually my assessment of DIY builds it was from OldGreys sticked forum post, with some editing and I share your opinion, if correctly designed and made the PCB will be as good, if good quality pars are used and it's been assembled correctly it will be as good, but weighing the benefits Vs costs of the different levels of build against the skill of the builder, is what I was raising, especially when something goes wrong. With that in mind I shall have another look at it.

I shall try to make the MCU options clearer and it will be covered in more depth in the possessor /MCU section.

Lastly yep will do.
Dan
By JHolland
I would hope that a board from an official supplier would have a consistent quality, I have seen many DIY assembled boards on here that are of very poor quality. I would also hope that a professionally assembled board would be assembled in an ESD controlled environment which would give better reliability than one assembled on someone's kitchen table.
By PSIG
Is it possible to post the text file and/or a PDF? It would be much easier to make notes on a Word or OpenOffice document. ;)
By Logicaluk
It's in pdf, well whatever MS word outputs as a pdf. I'll post the word file when I get home.

I'm actually working on hosting it in wiki.js but it's an up hill struggle ,getting used to the format and going from a word document with pictures to a plain text format that I have to go back over and put in the formatting and pictures, so it can go in as markdown for the manual.

It's running on a raspberry pi so it's a bit slow.
Dan
By Logicaluk
I can't find any formatting tools for word, but im sure I read it had to be done in markdown so it converts to the pdf manual.
When I've worked out how to get my Wiki accessable from the web I'll let you know.
Dan

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Niiiice... 8-) Looking forward to your updates![…]

I'd be surprised if its not a 32-bit processor on[…]

I search for the datasheet of the IC and the on[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?