Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By Rebel
Hey folks,

I'm working on putting everything together to get and run the Speeduino on my 1998 A4. I've RTFM a few times now, and it's given me a very good baseline understanding of everything. The one thing I haven't decided on yet is which board to go with. I'm between the 0.4.x and the UA4C. I'm leaning towards the UA4C right now, as it appears to just be a little simpler while still meeting all of my needs (4 ignition outputs, 4 injector outputs, 400kPa MAP sensor, high current output for boost control, etc).

Needed Hardware (From Reading TF Manual)
Inputs
Arduino
- Elegoo board with 16u2 interface. I know I will need to remove the DC jack if I run the UA4C.

Crank Position Sensor
- According to https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthre ... sor-on-AEB the vehicle utilizes a 60-2 wheel and VR Sensor, so I'll need a VR Conditioner

Camshaft Position Sensor
- Yup, it has one. The wheel is either a 1 window or 4. Given that I have an earlier "AEB" engine code, it should be a 1 window. I just need to pull off the sensor and check.

Throttle Position Sensor
- I haven't yet looked to see how many wires it is (should be three), but I do know that it utilizes the potentiometer style sensor, as that is how a Throttle Body Adaptation is performed on these cars. The TPS is built into the cable-driven throttle body.

MAP
- Vehicle does not have one natively (later style 1.8T's did), but will be built in to the UA4C, unless I am gravely misunderstanding something.

Coolant Temp Sensor
- Admittedly haven't looked too deeply into this since coming across a thread somewhere on here where someone recommended using the blue sensor that my car uses natively. Absolute worst case scenario, my coolant flange has a spare port that is blocked off right now that I could use to add a different sensor.

Intake Air Temp Sensor
- Yep, has one of these as well in the intake manifold, two wires.

Oxygen Sensor
- From what I can see, this will be the most 'complicated' part as the car is currently narrowband, but I want to switch to wideband. This is, again, an early/late 1.8T discrepancy, as my early AEB is narrowband, but later models are wideband. But from what I understand, I need a controller and a LSU 4.9 Bosch sensor, and I'm basically off to the races?

Outputs
Injectors
- Again taking a slight liberty here based on just finding some info online, but I am using Bosch "Green Giant" 440cc injectors, which I understand to be high-impedance. I'll be testing resistance, just to be safe, unless someone here knows for sure.

Coils
- I have already converted the car to using "TFSI" coil packs, which are 4-wire 'smart' coils, so should be good there.

Boost Control
- Another area I need to do a little more digging, but I should be able to use the OE controller (n75), as it is a 3 port solenoid. But I have not looked at all into the frequency that it operates at.

-----

Is there anything blatant I am missing? Or I guess anything not-so-blatant? Any reason I should go for the v0.4.X over the UA4C? The official goal is to have this done by BigSoCalEuro show on Sept 30th. Unofficial goal is as soon as freaking possible.
By Rebel
Awesome. Just ordered everything I needed from WTMTronics, with the exception of the wideband controller.

I am beyond excited to get started on this.

One thing I will want to add once she's running is a digital dash. I'm already working on modeling the cluster using a 7" screen from a raspberry pi. Only issue is pi availability is spotty at best, and mine is used to run OctoPrint for my 3d printer...
By Rebel
LPG2CV wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:04 pm Hi, is it five cylinder? :)
It is not. Although I do have a love for 5cyl, and have been violently fighting the urge to source a VR5 from Europe to fit into the car. For no other reason than because it's cool, lol.
By LPG2CV
Ok .... remain cool :D

It's just that I read about a fifth channel for five cylinders :)

But as you were :) get on with it :D
By Rebel
Got my arduino mega today, and removed the DC jack in preparation for the UA4C to arrive. I'm heading to the junkyard this weekend to grab a few spare harnesses for the various sensors and such, so I can start making a new harness for this and significantly simplify the engine bay.
By handycustom
Hey buddy, did you end up getting this project going?? Id love to connect about it. I've an 00 jetta 1.8t I've been building and I'm tired of internet tuners.
By Rebel
handycustom wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:40 pm Hey buddy, did you end up getting this project going?? Id love to connect about it. I've an 00 jetta 1.8t I've been building and I'm tired of internet tuners.
Sooo, not yet. Before I got it running on the Speedy, I ended up with cracked piston rings, and just recently finished the full rebuild. (went with forged rods while I was in there, because might as well while I have it apart).

I'm currently waiting on a few bits to come in to make the wiring easier, and then I'll get her converted.

00' is right on the cusp, are you 058-block or 06A- block? Do you have the cable throttle or electronic?
By Jon_swal
Sorry to revive this thread but this sounds ace. Looks like you have done a lot of the research I needed, great write up 😊 .

I have an old tired mk4 GTI with an AUM engine that I'm going to tear to bits. so it should (correct me if I'm wrong) have wideband, 06a block and drive by wire according to the information you provided.

I'm looking to AUM swap a NB mx5. Before I pull the trigger and by the UA4C have you had any luck with the project since the rebuild? if so any snags or notes on off the books stuff you had to do would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with the project, Take care.
blitzbox

12v is unusual. You could probe it using 5v and se[…]

Hello to everyone! I am starting this thread beca[…]

STM32 development

Do you mean the "full clean" com[…]

The Max9926 or A2 , Is there anything else i wou[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?