Any general discussion around the firmware, what is does, how it does it etc.
Thanks, I am going to run the sensors on 5v.
Attached to this post (edit: see updated version in later post) are the wiring diagram with Speeduino pin numbers, green dots for Pin Determined, red dots for Pin needs to be determined. Also attached is a text file of the pin layout so far.
Any help would be great! Questions:
A. Is 10amp (key on wht/yel wire) sufficient to power the whole board? I don't have a planned use for the 30amp hot at all times (red/wht wire) that went to the old stock ECU.
B. Which pin should be used to draw to ground in order to engage ASD switch and therefore fuel pump switch (dk blu/yel wire)?
C. For IAC (stepper motor on the board) stepper motor, does in matter A1 pin30 and A2 pin31 vs. A1 pin31 and A2 pin30?
D. Any suggested pin for power steering switch (dk blu/org wire)?
E. The biggest unknown right now is my alternator. The ECU used to regulate the exciter wire but I think that was mainly to compensate for engine strain. Which pin should be used for input from engaged ASD switch( dk grn/org wire) which I think is power from the alternator? I can't tell if I have a delco SI internally regulated alternator or not.
Thanks to 2carpros.com for the original wiring diagram
Last edited by RowdyDouglas on Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RowdyDouglas wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 am A. Is 10amp (key on wht/yel wire) sufficient to power the whole board? I don't have a planned use for the 30amp hot at all times (red/wht wire) that went to the old stock ECU.
Speeduino boards typically need 1 to 1.5A, and if stepper is used up to 3A or so. Fuse Speeduino with a 3A automotive fuse. The 30A hot terminal (PDC) is used for your fuel pump, through the ASD and FP relays for O2, injectors, etc. You certainly will use it unless you re-wire extensively. ;)
RowdyDouglas wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 am B. Which pin should be used to draw to ground in order to engage ASD switch and therefore fuel pump switch (dk blu/yel wire)?
Your Fuel Pump output, whatever way you're doing that. Note the ASD and FP relays are ganged, and not dependent on each other. ASD is actually your "main" relay for several high-amp devices.
RowdyDouglas wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 am C. For IAC (stepper motor on the board) stepper motor, does in matter A1 pin30 and A2 pin31 vs. A1 pin31 and A2 pin30?
Yes. Hook it up as you like, and if it doesn't function as-expected, swap the pins/wires.
RowdyDouglas wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 am D. Any suggested pin for power steering switch (dk blu/org wire)?
Yes, to your Idle-Up pin (for IAC or timing) in order to bump your idle speed. The PS switch detects low hydraulic pressure under high load, e.g., parking maneuvers at idle. The switch calls for idle-up for either more steering hydraulic flow or to prevent stall from PS pump load. I wouldn't worry about that unless you find you really need it after some good idle tuning.
RowdyDouglas wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 am E. The biggest unknown right now is my alternator. The ECU used to regulate the exciter wire but I think that was mainly to compensate for engine strain. Which pin should be used for input from engaged ASD switch( dk grn/org wire) which I think is power from the alternator? I can't tell if I have a delco SI internally regulated alternator or not.
You need to verify which alternator you have. Else we are guessing and so are you. I do see that the K20 wire is for Gen Field Driver, which indicates that it it not for internally-regulated alternators. Your version might be if the diagram is not accurate for your specific vehicle. Assuming it's not :roll:, the alternator voltage is controlled by the ECM, either with a voltage-regulating on/off signal to hold it at target voltage (typically around 14.2V - see Miata examples), or it is GM type using PWM control by duty cycle of around 65% for the same target voltage. I am describing the two methods so as you research, you may find clues to which one yours is.

BTW, I think your "?" on the diagram is for the second (ganged) RED/WHT wire to the bottom terminal of the ASD relay, similar to the same terminal on the FP relay. Hope that helps.
Thanks! One follow-up: the dk blu/yel wire will now go to pin 16 for fuel pump which initially will be sending 12v to the pin until it is grounded through the board; What setting accomplishes that in TS and should I also put a 3A fuse on the wire before the board?

The updated diagram and pin layout txt are attached (removed, see later post).

Rowdy
Last edited by RowdyDouglas on Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RowdyDouglas wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:19 am… One follow-up: the dk blu/yel wire will now go to pin 16 for fuel pump which initially will be sending 12v to the pin until it is grounded through the board; What setting accomplishes that in TS and should I also put a 3A fuse on the wire before the board?
No settings required, except to designate the output for Fuel Pump in TS. Board FP default is usually to Mega pin 45, which has no output circuit (except the original v0.4 and latest versions); but you can reassign the output to an unused output circuit such as VVT or Boost, then designate that pin in TS. No FP grounding fuse required, but a board power fuse is suggested as previously mentioned.
This is using a v0.4 board which the Speeduino wiki says pin 16 is Proto Area 3 (0.4.4b+ Fuel Pump); is there any extra work/soldering to use that vs. reassign pin 38 from VVT to fuel pump?
Also, I determined my alternator was regulated by the stock ECU so I installed an external regulator (fairly common with two posts in a triangle connector) which I now have noted in the updated attachments.
All of the necessary wires/pins are accounted for so I will start wiring everything up using the screw terminal breakout from DetonationEMS. I also plan to have a friend print the case from a separate @reliant_turbo other forum post viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4699&p=50585#p50585 with a few tweaks since my onboard MAP vacuum post points up.
Attachments
YJ_4cyl_wire_status.png
YJ_4cyl_wire_status.png (750.51 KiB) Viewed 5649 times
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Update: all the wiring is done. I put VSS to pin 18 and set TS VSS to 18, and Fuel pump on pin 16. I was able to add the 2.5L decoder/Trigger pattern from @reliant_turbo into the code, compile and load. I pretty much just replaced the Jeep2000 decoder and renamed it so I can see it properly loaded in TS. All the TS settings are done, so now I need to calibrate for my sensors!
RowdyDouglas wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 am I hooked it up to the Jeep, turned key to on position, saw leds lit, saw some smoke and shut it off :| . Connected back to laptop, nothing is complaining but I am looking for a guide for how to test the various circuits to see if I fried a capacitor or something.
Oh no! :( The magic smoke is gone.
Have you figured out which circuit caused the smoke to be released? If you know that, you can then trace the connected circuits on the speedy and test.
I don't know which circuit and I don't see anything melted or burned. A couple of questions:
1) Is my ignition coil considered a high current coil? I thought it had an igniter because the coil gets 12v from alternator/battery and therefore the Speeduino would send 5v (JP1 set to 5v) to the signal wire and go low for coil to fire.
2) My Hall sensors (crank and cam) are only connected to the Speeduino (pin 28 5v) so JP2 and JP3 should be set to Hall (meaning they are not 0-12v) right? Ref https://wiki.speeduino.com/en/boards/V04

BTW, JP4 and JP5 On. I never cranked motor.

nice first of all, i read all that crap months a[…]

I rewired a few grounds and tested the TPS and rel[…]

Thanks, car runs great now !!! Going to drift even[…]

sauver moteur v8

bonsoir je m appel jean marie et j habite en Franc[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?