Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By Razorbeam
[/quote]

You need to replicate the high voltage pulse that comes from the coil if you want to drive your original tachometer. The circuit shown on this page is the one I used, using the coil from a relay;

https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopi ... 01&t=69602

[/quote]

Thank you for explaining this. I had another thought as I was clicking through the link you provided. Currently I have an MSD 6A ignition box running off the stock amplifier. When I installed that, I used an MSD 8910 Tach Adapter.
https://www.holley.com/products/gauges_ ... parts/8910

The wiring diagram for the MSD looks similar to the diagram you referenced (attached). I'm guessing it is doing a similar thing to what the resistor and coil are doing. Seeing as I already own this and it's already in the car, I'd like to try it and see if it can be used to drive the tach. Is there a risk of hurting the speeduino by testing this? I don't want to burn anything up.
(248.33 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
By Razorbeam
Long time since I've updated but a lot of work has taken place. Long story short, I have everything wired up and attempted my first start tonight. Confirmed that I am getting spark, however the fuel pump relay is not getting triggered by the Speeduino. This is how I have the relay wired up (V0.4 board):

Power in: + from battery
Power out: to fuel pump
Positive trigger: ignition on circuit
Trigger ground: to IDC Pin 38 (arduino pin 4)

I've tried moving it to a few different of the pins with no result. I just want to confim that I have it wired correctly, with Speeduino providing the ground through a signal to control the relay and not power.

I've attached a copy of my tune as well as a picture of my wiring map. Appreciate any help here. I need to get the car started and moved tomorrow because we're having some concrete work done ...
Attachments
Speeduino Wire Guide.jpg
Speeduino Wire Guide.jpg (237.37 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
(79 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
By Razorbeam
theonewithin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:06 am Manually ground the wire and see if fuel pump runs.

Also has your board got the ULN built in or did you add it for the fuel pump output?
Funny you say that. I started soldering the ULN onto the board last night, then I had a lightbulb go off in my head. I switched the setting for VVT to the (prior) fuel pump pin and now the pump clicks on!

Just need to sort out the timing and we should be off to the races. I confirmed I have a spark by putting tape over the timing light trigger but I need to wait for my wife to agree to help push the starter button before I can see how far off I am.
By Razorbeam
OK! Got my helper to push the starter button so I could dial in the timing and I got it to run!!! It starts really hard and idles at like 1200 rpm. Also after about 30 seconds it starts surging and almost dying. I took a data log of this to post here, but I'm sure it's something simple since I have NO IDEA what I'm doing haha.
Any good resources someone can point me to for tuning and setup instructions? I'm thinking it may have something to do with the Idle advance settings. I currently have them turned off. I also have stepper idle control turned off as well. I may need to close the physical air bypass gap around the throttle plate.
More to come, I am stoked!!!
Attachments
(80.06 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
By Razorbeam
Razorbeam wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:23 pm OK! Got my helper to push the starter button so I could dial in the timing and I got it to run!!! It starts really hard and idles at like 1200 rpm. Also after about 30 seconds it starts surging and almost dying. I took a data log of this to post here, but I'm sure it's something simple since I have NO IDEA what I'm doing haha.
Any good resources someone can point me to for tuning and setup instructions? I'm thinking it may have something to do with the Idle advance settings. I currently have them turned off. I also have stepper idle control turned off as well. I may need to close the physical air bypass gap around the throttle plate.
More to come, I am stoked!!!
So it was my DCFO that was causing my surging idle. The idle was so high that it was over the limit for DFCO. The next issue is the stepper motor. My engine uses the GM style 4 wire motors. The settings I have from my Land Rover manual says that it has 180 maximum steps. The Speeduino wiki says it has 250. Also, I'm not sure if 180 is closed or open (inverted?). I might just tape that feature off until I can get an idle speed below 1,000.
By ric355
Razorbeam wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:21 pm My engine uses the GM style 4 wire motors. The settings I have from my Land Rover manual says that it has 180 maximum steps. The Speeduino wiki says it has 250. Also, I'm not sure if 180 is closed or open (inverted?). I might just tape that feature off until I can get an idle speed below 1,000.
Number of steps you can sort out after you get the stepper motor working by just counting them using TS to move the pintle in/out. I do it by fully opening the stepper then gradually increasing the steps (count them as you go) and blowing down the bypass tube with your mouth. When you can't blow any more air it's closed and you've got the maximum steps counted.

I used the original loom connector for my project. Here are the connections I used. First number is the 0.4 IDC connector pin as per the wiki, second number is the 14CUX pin (which is connected to the stepper).
Code: Select all
IDC Pin,	Description,	Lucas Pin,	Lucas Description,
29	Idle Stepper 2B         29	Air bypass valve (sometimes labelled “Stepper B”)		Other lucas pin for this side of the stepper is 28
30	Idle Stepper 2A         28	Air bypass valve (sometimes labelled “Stepper A”)		Other lucas pin for this side of the stepper is 29
31	Idle Stepper 1A         26	Air bypass valve (sometimes labelled “Stepper C”)		Other lucas pin for this side of the stepper is 1
32	Idle Stepper 1B         1	Air bypass valve (sometimes labelled “Stepper D”)		Other lucas pin for this side of the stepper is 26
If I remember correctly, this resulted in me having to run the stepper "inverted" in the settings. Or, rather, it was me who developed the inverted setting and I did this because I wired it the opposite way and didn't want to rewire it... So you just need to swap one pair of wires if the stepper runs the wrong way or change the inverted setting. To check which direction the stepper runs you need to operate it live using the stepper cranking graph in TS with ignition on and engine not running. Just move the graph around at the current coolant temperature point. You want a high number of steps to cause the pintle to be withdrawn into the body of the stepper and a low number of steps to cause it to be forced onto the seat in the bypass housing.

Hope that helps.
By neovin
just had a quick look at your tune

Ignition table needs reworking as there probably is not enough timing below your idle target to give the power to maintain (10 degrees at 700) also the minimum map (kpa) value is 40 which in most circumstances will be 20-25.

Would start with something like this

Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (37.94 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
By Razorbeam
neovin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:04 pm just had a quick look at your tune

Ignition table needs reworking as there probably is not enough timing below your idle target to give the power to maintain (10 degrees at 700) also the minimum map (kpa) value is 40 which in most circumstances will be 20-25.

Would start with something like this

Thank you for this. I copied this spark table and you were right, this gives a much more stable idle. My spark advance is around 10 but when the rpm dips I see it come up to 12 and even out nicely. I'm still not using stepper idle control, just the base air gap.

I spent some time trying to set up the stepper control and run into a few issues. I discovered the (brand new) connector I used has a damaged pin. I spliced in the connector from the original harness but have not had luck getting the stepper work correctly. It's behaving as if I have the wires crossed, but I checked my connections all the way to the board and everything is going where it should according to the Wiki. I briefly was able to get one of the motors I'm working with to move as I expected it to but it went past its limit and shot the spring and the pintle out :( .
I'm going to spend some more time checking the connections with a multi-meter before I start flipping wires around. At this point I can't get any of the other 4 motors I'm testing to do much more than a small vibration. I also need to recheck that I set up the stepper driver correctly even though I'm pretty confident I did.

The good news is that I've been able to put some test miles on it and let Auto Tune do its thing. Really starting to run very nicely so far. I already am noticing that I don't need to bury my foot as much to get going from a stop.
Thank you everyone for your help so far. More to come!

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?