Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By theonewithin
I still don't understand...

You want to use the distributor wheel for Speeduino?
Go for it. You will need a VR conditioner and to remove 1 tooth from the distributor if you want ignition control.

Ignition accuracy will be meh though
By Torslund
No need for ignition. Just fuel. 4 outputs does it. But distributor trig goes only up to 8 cylinders, that's 4 pulse/rpm. If frequency counts down from 12/3 to 4 I could use the V12 distributor as trig. Next level is tooth wheel but for fuel it's over kill. Everything is already in the car, IAT, ECT, trigger wheel and so on. Just connect the sensors to new ecu and crank.
By Torslund
Did you know this? :oops: I have use a 4 pin GM module for spark. Then I did read the Speedy manual about the 8 pin module. And it has a square wave rpm signal ready that Speedy can read. Took a module from a Chevy distributor and connected it to board and got trig. This solved a lot. Still I have to count down by 3 so I can run Speedy as 4 cylinder engine. That's next problem to solve.
By Torslund
/* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Basic Distributor
Desc: Tooth equal to the number of cylinders are evenly spaced on the cam. No position sensing (Distributor is retained) so crank angle is a made up figure based purely on the first teeth to be seen
Note: This is a very simple decoder. See http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm
*/
This is were the distributor is read. Is there something that can be changed so the pulse reading is divided?
By PSIG
Torslund wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:09 pm This is were the distributor is read. Is there something that can be changed so the pulse reading is divided?
Yes, but there are several options to see the tooth division you are after. One is to mod the code in one of multiple ways. Another is to configure your trigger signals in a way that is readable by current code.

As you are wanting to run your V12 as a 4-cylinder, then configure for a 4-cylinder. With a 12-tooth trigger wheel, you can do this various ways, and one of several options is to add a cycle signal ("cam signal") into the mix, retaining the 12 teeth and adding one more separate signal. There are literally dozens of ways to get a single signal once every 720°. One example is adding a 2nd sensor to the distributor with a single target tooth on the shaft. Here is a commercial example of that approach:

Jaguar V12 12•1 distributor.png
Jaguar V12 12•1 distributor.png (161.07 KiB) Viewed 4580 times

I did something similar by cutting a groove in the dist shaft, instead of a tooth, and adding a little ATS6x7 biased Hall sensor to read the shaft. You could add a disc with one tooth and punch a ZF (Cherry) GS sensor through the side to read it. Or a GS sensor in the valve cover or timing cover to read a rocker, cam lobe, timing gear, etc. Stuff like that.

Lots of creative options to explore. There are benefits to adding a cycle signal, such as to start injections on the same cylinder set on every startup, for more predictable fuel distribution. Of course the obvious option with the added signal would be to move to 6-cylinder fueling and quasi-sequential (double-shot) fueling on paired injectors, using re-purposed HC outputs (for example). 8-)

Another option is to run two Speeduino controllers, one for 6x fuel and the other for 6x waste-spark ignition. Tuning can be simultaneous in TunerStudio through CAN. The downside to so many options is picking which ones. :lol:

You can chase code changes, or you can chase solutions to use current code. You have requested a decoder change and code options here. If it were me, I'd chase configs to use current code while I'm waiting for responses. Your call!
By Torslund
IMG_20190510_114058.jpg
IMG_20190510_114058.jpg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
I want to do this without hardware modifications. Easiest way with hardware mod is what I already have done, put in new sensors. Make a board and solder in 4 hall, oem has 2. But if the vr signal is there, why not use that? Elegant solution.
By PSIG
Torslund wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:47 pm But if the vr signal is there, why not use that?
Exactly! ;) All of the options I mentioned (and others) use the 12T VR signal. It is key to expanding (rather than reducing) system capability.
By Torslund
Using just one pulse is so easy, it's there from beginning. OEM has two hall sensor so all to do is connect one wire and use the pulse. Position is fixed. But what can I do with that in speedy? Have never thought about the other option then distributor trig.
By Torslund
PSIG wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:20 pm
Torslund wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:47 pm But if the vr signal is there, why not use that?
Exactly! ;) All of the options I mentioned (and others) use the 12T VR signal. It is key to expanding (rather than reducing) system capability.
You are the genius, I read about the wheel triggers and found that the dual wheel can do it. I cut so just one Hall was in use, now I have 12 trig, 4 squirts and as I see correct RPM. This could have been done with the first engine also, the preHE. Not so easy because it has an other ignition amp but make a clean signal from coil. Thanks for you input.
Attachments
Tune
(77.56 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
By Torslund
I have measure the injector dead time, how do I translate the difference in time to %, 1.8ms-1.1ms? 12.7V is 1.2ms. Is 8.4V-14V enough, or do I need to have lower and higher voltage measurements?

I think possible reasons for that would be: 1) loo[…]

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?