Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
Hey sweeties

i have got a Fiat Cinquecento Sporting 1.1 4 Cyl Spi. Novitec made a Turbo kit for theese. got one of them as wel.
They used an additional injector beneath the oem one. It was rather pragmatically controlled by an extra control unit. It only had a boost switch. and then from 0.01 bar to 0.5 bar the same amount of additional fuel.
Basically works but if i want to add boost, the excessive amount of fuel at low boost causes missfires.

This demands a programmable ecu. For a few years is was playing around with arduinos and so is got excited when i heard about speeduino.

In a few days I will receive my 0.4.4. with vr, stepper controle and a mega. Addintionally i ordered a spartan2 lambda controler.

Two things i couldnt figure out by now:

1. I have a OEM wasted spark system. Cant use it beause "dumb" coils. Now I am looking for another OEM wasted spark coil, that i can drive directly from the speeduino.

2. I found the settings for the staged injecton. But how do i wire them?.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
b753a92e-b04d-4541-8795-fb05511577ef.jpg
b753a92e-b04d-4541-8795-fb05511577ef.jpg (162.25 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
08c0a885-1ff6-4ce9-bb7a-ece6eaa54fba.jpg
08c0a885-1ff6-4ce9-bb7a-ece6eaa54fba.jpg (174.99 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
Hi,
the original Novitec controller was much more advanced than a simple boost switch. If yours is build like this, the original parts are missing. If you look into the paperwork of the car, the components should be listed. Some used a MAP sensor to measure the boost and rpm signal to modulate the extra injector. They where under the dashboard and had a hose plus some wires, that connected to the manifold and engine. One version even seemed to use the lambda signal. Even as the controller where build by an external electronic engineer, they hardly did work. The mixture was much too rich, which wore out the engine or to lean and the engine blew.
Any micro controller, like the basic stamp of that time, would have done a better job than this analog electronic stupidity. But digital was something the Novitec team of that time did not understand at all. They where bloody amateurs that sold their unreliable kits and parts to even more unknowing customers. A very friendly lokal TÜV guy even made some builds street legal.
Anyway, this was just as anything that Novitec could build at that time: Cruel, primitive and not made to last. If such an engine lasted 20.000km that was a lucky exception and the owner had not used the turbo very often. Most engines did not even see the 5.000km mark. 2.000km without a blown head gasket where rare.

With all the turbo builds they did not use special pistons, but simply turned them down on the lathe, ignoring any squish band in the combustion chamber. Their "technician" did not even understand the concept behind a well build combustion chamber and need for a turbulent mixture. This made the engines detonate with foreseeable results. The turbo they used was not for gasoline, but for a diesel engine, with much lower exhaust temperature...
Even today a lot of amateur tuner, mostly with VW, use extra high head gaskets to reduce compression and try to counter the negative effect with over rich mixture.

When they where still sold, I had some of these "Turbo Tuned" engines in my workshop, with all kinds of defects, resulting from the poor construction and even poorer workmanship of this great tuning company.
If you need the next engine, PM me, I still have one in stock, modified to last and use a lot less fuel. Power output is much better and response hugely improved. Downside, you have to use V-Power or Ultimate fuel all the time, but as you use much less than with the original design, there are no extra fuel costs.
it is a great idea to use a Speeduino on that engine, as the SPI was never meant for turbo engines. Go for the multi point inlet manifold of the Sporting 500 and correct the combustion chamber design. The engine should run around 0.5 bar boost forever, anything done right.
Good morning from Germany,

I have got other fueling questions.
I am using ardustim and some potentiometers to simulate my setup. For outpust I use some leds.

At the moment i am having trouble understanding some of the req fuel calulaion.

I have 1 main injector and 1 (actually 2 but that doesnt matter i think) secondary injector.
My primary has a flow of 120cc and my sencond one 440(2x220).
Set up engine constants to over all flow 560cc and 1 primary injector.
But doesnt this screw up the req. fuel?

When simulating this with i run out of fuel very early. whith e.g a MAP of 1500kpa(0,5 boost) at redline 6500 my secondary duty cycle is like double of whats its supposed to be.

thanks guys
hey sweeties,

i think i could resolve the issue of my last post. Thanks.

A few days ago i had the ecu in the car for the first time.
Ignition works and i set up the Trigger angle.

After this, with a little shot brakecleaner down the throttle, it started immediately for a short moment.
So far, so good.

For now I just want for the car to run of its 1 standard injector.
I used the VE table generator, AFR table generator and made am spark map with the megasquirt Sparktable generator

Obviously entered necessary values for req fuel calculation..

When i try to start the injector LED are flashing. but there is no fuel coming out.
I was playing around with different values and cranked up the cranking enrichment to 400%.

Then sometimes it wants to fire and sometimes even runs for 2 seconds when pushing the throttle.
obviously the enrinchment stops wenn it runs but i have a feeling that i am wrong with something,

So i want to go over a few basics.
The used injector ist a magneti marelli iwm 523 and it has a resistance of about 2.5 Ohms.
I have put a 8 Ohm resistor in series.

When i now calculate the Voltage on the injector its about 14/10.5*2,5
= 3V
So the injector only has 3V.. can this work?

I know thats how it is described in the wiki but maybe i made am mistake.

thanks yall
Attachments
injector.png
injector.png (263.65 KiB) Viewed 3308 times

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?