Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By tx_haggis
Writing up my experience in case it helps others. If anyone has feedback, that's great too!

Car: NA Miata (1990)
Engine: NB2 (BP-VE aka BP-Z3)
Speeduino: NA6 PNP
Firmware: 202012

After initially getting the engine running on a modified NB8 base tune, I found that I had hot start sync issues: the Speeduino would not recognize any crank signal, resulting in the engine cranking but nothing happening (in TunerStudio, the "Cranking" indicator would not turn green).

I fixed this by changing the primary & secondary trigger edges to RISING (base tune uses FALLING). This gave consistent cold & hot starts.

I then set timing:
  • In TS set "Fixed/Locked" timing to 10 degrees
  • Use a timing light & adjust "Trigger Angle" until the timing light showed 10 degrees on the pulley indicator.
I ended up with a TS trigger angle of 5° (and then turned off "Fixed/Locked" timing)

Then I re-read (for about the 4th time!) the setup instructions for 99-05 Miata. Which recommend a zero trigger angle and the new ignition mode. Reading the code, the new ignition mode *only* runs with zero trigger angle. So I followed the recommendation (and reset trigger edges to FALLING).

The engine started OK when cold, ran smoothly when stationary. However, it had difficulty revving under load & a test drive required a lot of throttle finesse. After parking, I could *not* restart the engine.

The above happened incrementally, over a couple of weeks during which time I'd also attempted to modify the Speeduino. We then tried:
  • Reset trigger edges to RISING.
  • Checked sensor voltage and continuity to the Speeduino.
  • Checked trigger wheel clearance, orientation
  • Swapped in known good crank & cam sensors
Nothing helped.

With hardware checking out, I decided to ignore the setup instructions and reverted to using FALLING trigger edges, the old ignition mode & 5° trigger angle. Worked great!

Disappointed the new ignition mode didn't work out, happy the car is up & running.
By GrantO
Hey great write up! Thank you :) 8-)

I’m hoping this’ll help me get my car up and running. I’m going through a similar thing and I was thinking perhaps I’d somehow broken the dual vr conditioner :lol:

I currently have a snapped bolt in my crank sensor bolt hole, and need to get a drill bit to take care of that :cry: :lol:
By tx_haggis
GrantO wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:04 amI currently have a snapped bolt in my crank sensor bolt hole, and need to get a drill bit to take care of that :cry: :lol:
Been there. With the engine in the car, it was a PITA :cry: Very difficult to get tools lined up with the bolt (I removed the sway bar). I tried a left handed drill bit, no joy. Ended up drilling out the bolt & retapping to M7x1.0 (because I didn't get the drill lined up right) - took it slowly over multiple evenings. It's not a common size, but it did fit through the sensor OK & survived multiple track days before I sold the car.

If I had to do it again, I'd remove the radiator as well as the sway bar to get better clearance. And buy decent drill bits & taps - it could have been retapped to M6x1.0 (the stock size) with enough clearance.
By tx_haggis
Just discovered the "Cold Advance" table - wasn't in the older firmware I was using. I'll swear in court I'd checked every menu item when we upgraded!

The cold advance was set to -15deg at all temperatures. Unlikely it affected the trigger settings, possible it affected the new ignition mode.

More testing needed.
BMW E23 M30B28

Ignore my previous posts, I'm an idiot. Turns out […]

He's quite prolific with respect to video and elec[…]

I’m thinking it’s the voltage regulato[…]

HAHA Thank you! Ok got it the outer part of the […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?