Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By gpineau
Built another injector tester jig.
I am using the exact fuel pressure regulator that I will be using in the project. It is a Buick/Oldsmobile regulator and the output is 43.5 exactly. Not adjustable.

I tested a couple sets of injectors that I have. One off a 1400cc engine and another off a 1000cc engine.
One tests at 336cc/min and the other test at 420cc/min.
I am pondering which set of injectors to use on this 1000cc project. All online calculators say I need a 155cc/min injector but what I found from the the last project is that you should at least double that number due the time constraints of the ecu servicine all 4 injectors.
Any opinions ? 336.cc/min or 420cc/min?
By LPG2CV
As tuning starts from idle and progresses through the rev range, why not start with the smaller injectors and see how you do. They will be easier to tune, and you should soon get an idea of their suitability by the required VE. Don't forget that at the end of the day, the RF - VE is just math, so you can set what you like with it. Duty cycle is the key thing. If you start getting past 85%, then larger injectors may be required. But smaller in the first instance may be easier the manage than larger.
By PSIG
LPG2CV wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:28 pm As tuning starts from idle and progresses through the rev range, why not start with the smaller injectors and see how you do. They will be easier to tune, and you should soon get an idea of their suitability by the required VE. Don't forget that at the end of the day, the RF - VE is just math, so you can set what you like with it. Duty cycle is the key thing. If you start getting past 85%, then larger injectors may be required. But smaller in the first instance may be easier the manage than larger.
^^ This. Your calculated injector flow may be generically valid, but they can be limited by time available to inject each cycle within 75-85% of the time available. However, that limit may be further modified by reality with need for added fuel flow (WUE, plus AE, etc) on-top of that. Those aren't limitations to the ECU servicing all 4 injectors, but separate considerations.

So, I would agree to either randomly try the smaller set and judge based on logged DC results where to go from there. Or else make the calculations to determine that threshold injector size, i.e., the flow to inject one cycle of fuel for one cylinder @3bar, within (time of one cycle - dead time), multiplied by cycles per minute. If the rpm is not limiting then you'll get 155cc or similar, or larger if it is. Then-up-size again with the potential added fuel % based on your experience and data from prior projects.

These are common reasons some high-rpm or high-power setups use additional injectors to carry those extra burdens, in order to hold the main injectors as small as reasonably possible, allowing them better fuel control in their range of flow under most-common conditions. The secondary injectors then handle any demands exceeding that range. We can read that as easier and more effective tuning, with better results through better control. Using this concept, you could begin with 155cc (or even smaller) injectors and add whatever secondaries are then predictably needed through real-world data analysis. Note there are other schemes useful to flow control, such as large single injectors with rising-rate fuel pressure for expanded control range. Lots of fun ahead!
8-)
David
By gpineau
I'm going to start with the 336 cc/.min injector . It is the smallest I have on hand and it comes from a motor of similar size but a little more HP.

I am making a new case for my NO2C and using an automotive connector this time around. I was going to make a circuit board to go from the speeduino connector to the output connector but I got frustrated and decided to wire it by hand. Its only 24 wires.

Right now I am waiting on some 1.75 to 2 inch adapters to arrive so I only need to mount the throttle bodies once. Post office said my plug wires have arrived in the mail box and I have a spark coil from a VW that I think will work. So everything is about read to start assembling, mounting and wiring.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (55.34 KiB) Viewed 5437 times
20210102_221659.jpg
20210102_221659.jpg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 5437 times
By gpineau
Finally my adapter from the TB to the head have arrived. I am so pleased with these and glad I waited for them instead of using my home made adapters. They are a perfect fit and solid mount between the head and TBs.

I've been working for days trying to print a case for the ECU. I have restarted maybe 7-8 times so far. I finally gave up and tossed the off-brand roll of PLA and put in a reel of ABS. It is looking good so far. Time will tell.
Attachments
f4.JPG
f4.JPG (82.1 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
f3.JPG
f3.JPG (99.51 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
f2.JPG
f2.JPG (45.52 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
f1.JPG
f1.JPG (66.16 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
By gpineau
Spent 2 hours wiring the connector between the NO2C micro connector to an automotive connector. I really wouldn't want to do that again. But now it is one thing done to cross off the list.

Still haven't got a decent case off my 3D printer. But I have one that I can use if all else fails. (its Orange, not my favorite color)
Attachments
a.JPG
a.JPG (62.96 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
NO2CHconector.jpg
NO2CHconector.jpg (6.93 MiB) Viewed 5305 times
Last edited by gpineau on Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By gpineau
Been a bum of the last two weeks. Had to have a couple kidney stones removed. But there was a 3rd stone that could not be reached without sonic shock wave. Its supposed to be an outpatient procedure but it landed me in the ER and admission to the hospital for two days. Bruised my kidney and everything else on the side of the body. Good news is this only happens to about 1% of patients. I am so lucky I made the top 1%.

Got enough energy today to print up a case for the ECU. It looks great and I made it extra sturdy. Havnt' figured out where to mount it but to make it water proof I used an AMP SEAL connector and for all the seams and openings I will pack with white Lithium grease.

https://youtu.be/E8TbJmrKBDE

So many items on the todo list don't know where to start next. Probably find a place for the ECU then start wiring up everything. And there is that horrible crank position signal that gave me so much grief on the last two projects. I think this time around will be a drop in solution and work first time.
By gpineau
I have been struggling over whether I should make a seperate ECU to control the stepper motor for the secondary throttle plates. I have come up with several scenarios trying to justify it. (Fuel pump control, Wideband O2 controller, dash display).
But in the end I just can't come up with enough reasons to make another case, power harness, serial comm harness, another ECU, serial communication software, bla, bla bal. Just to control the secondary throttle plates in a one -off application. Especially since I already have a working solution that is integrated into the latest release code.

It just doesn't make sense to me to go through that much trouble for something I will use only once.

So I have abandoned the idea and will stick with my working solution, at least for now.

Meanwhile I cut the extra harness I had tacked onto the bottom of the megaa for bluetooth and brought Rx1 and Tx1 out through the automotive connector. I also brought out the signals for serial3 in case I wanted to make some stand alone monitor or dashboard app in the future. ( it also lets me retrofit another ECU for other things incase I change my mind in the future.

So now all signals except those going to the stepper motor come out throught hte 35 pin automotive connector It's a nice weather proof connector and it is under 10 bucks.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-77616 ... UwQAvD_BwE
Attachments
kiccad.JPG
kiccad.JPG (236.75 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
20210130_113330.jpg
20210130_113330.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 5087 times
20210130_113350.jpg
20210130_113350.jpg (3.86 MiB) Viewed 5087 times

I uploaded logs and last tune and dyno plots look[…]

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?