Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By LAV1000
Modified 3 cylinder wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:04 pm My grandson is taking electrical engineering at Pudue and is into the coding and likes the speeduino project. It is something we can do together, seeing as I don't get to see him very often.
I think this is the main reason why and the mpg figures just an excuse.
But sadly you don't need program skills to set up an odd fire engine in tuner studio.
Biggest issues are the hardware changes to the engine
By Modified 3 cylinder
LAV1000 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:20 am
Modified 3 cylinder wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:04 pm My grandson is taking electrical engineering at Pudue and is into the coding and likes the speeduino project. It is something we can do together, seeing as I don't get to see him very often.
I think this is the main reason why and the mpg figures just an excuse.
But sadly you don't need program skills to set up an odd fire engine in tuner studio.
Biggest issues are the hardware changes to the engine
That is pretty much exactly why. It is something I have thought about and planned. I don't think anyone has done it before, it is a personal challenge i want to try and do. That and as stated, it gives me time with my grandson.

I will look into the odd fire setup. That would be so much easier.

Thanks to everyone that has responded to this thread.
By theonewithin
You would still need to remove the intake setup of the cylinder you are not using.

It cannot be part of the remaining cylinders intake.there is no way you can get around this.
By Modified 3 cylinder
Yes, I understand there needs to be modifications to the engine.

My current issue was figuring out the electronic portion of the engine controls.

Thanks again
By PSIG
+1 to the other opinions. Run it as 2-cylinder odd-fire, delete the 3rd cylinder intake, valves, exhaust, and reciprocating parts if possible. Disabling cylinders by removing fuel is rarely successful, as you still have the parasitic drag and compressive loads, while it is no longer providing power. Effectively, you have a 2-cylinder engine powering a dead 1-cylinder engine, like a starter motor but at yet much higher speeds and loads. That tends to kill any pumping-loss gains made by dropping the cylinder, or worse. You mentioned ideas you had for side-stepping some of this, so continue on your journey and enjoy your family time!

David
By Rob123456789
Interesting idea. Have you thought about how the engine will be balanced? I think OEM systems will shut down a whole bank of cylinders when they do this (eg V8 becomes I4 or V6 becomes I3) so the load on the crank shaft will still be balanced. If you run your 3 cylinder as an odd fire 2 cylinder you might get bad vibrations and damage the engine.

I'm really interested in this and was thinking about trying to do it myself to get better mpg (In theory, I'm not sure if I would ever bother). I would want to be able to instantaneously switch cylinders on and off because then I wouldn't be sacrificing any power but I could get good economy while at light load. I think the idea is that you deactivate some cylinders and make the other cylinders work harder and more efficiently. You then also do something to reduce the pumping losses in the deactivated cylinders so the normal thing to do is permanently close both valves so the deactivated cylinder is just an air spring and it isn't trying do draw air past the throttle or pump it through the engine. What I was thinking is that if you had ITBs that you could control individually you could open the throttle on the deactivated cylinders and leave the valves as they are so these cylinders are still pumping air but not trying to pull a vacuum past the throttle . I don't know if this would be as effective as closing valves but it would be a lot easier.
By Rob123456789
Yeah it wouldn't be easy to set up but I don't think that would make it impossible. I would probably try and do it with e throttles and it wouldn't even need ITBs it could just be separate throttles for each bank of cylinders.

It would also need something clever with the MAP sensor so you're only reading from the running cylinders.
By theonewithin
So multiple ethrottles?

With multiple throttle controllers?

Which would all need to be separate from Speeduino as it will never support them..

Seems so ridiculously complicated for what benefit?

Potential for small fuel consumption improvements?

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?