Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
Hi, first post here! :D

So, I recently built myself a speeduino 0.4.3c! Well... almost, forgot to order some components. Anyway, point is, I have a ton of questions!
The idea for now is to install it in a Fiat Marea 1.6, old version with the metal intake manifold, engine code: 182.A4.000. I am saying "for now" since it is my daily and I want to replace it with something, before I take it apart. So I might change my mind, but let's assume that it is going in there! Anyway...

I've been reading around for a bit now and from what I've gathered I'm going to need some coil drivers, from the factory there are 2 coils in a single 3 pin package, running wasted spark. I'm guessing dummy coils. Correct? What kind of drivers would you guys recommend? I'm OK with DIYing it, as long as there are clear schematics, but am also good with pre-built drivers. On a side note, from what I've read it's possible to just wire up a NPN transistor with a few resistors, right?

I also have some 3 pin COPs labeled IB, G and +. They are from a Volvo S40 1.8i GDI engine (also used in Mitsubishi Carisma and Lancer), code: FK0138. Those are "smart" coils and don't require drivers, right? I would prefer
to not use them as there isn't much room for COPs, and they might require some custom fabricated brackets to fit. They are also shorter than the stock cables and will need modification to reach the plugs.

Any info on drivers and advice on how to proceed is welcome!

The other thing is the idle valve, it's a IAC-ISB7443, 4 pin unit. Will the DRV8825 be able to drive it? And 4 pin, does mean stepper and not PWM correct?

P.S. Thanks to Josh for designing the speeduino and to the community for helping make this project so awesome! Thanks in advance! :)
Have a diagram to help you with that 211
Attachments
IMG_20200319_203937.jpg
IMG_20200319_203937.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 5533 times
Thank you very much!
I have another question. Is there some way to find the specs of a particular coil? A list with coil models and specs perhaps? Something like this but for coils? http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

Another thing, I might have found some cheap COPs that should fit a lot easier than the ones I have. I am still planning on getting the igniter just in case, but what do you guys think? Are there any benefits to wasted spark COP vs regular dual coil? Would it be easier to setup?

Sorry, for all the questions! Just want to know as much as I can before I begin.
JTR wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:45 pm… Is there some way to find the specs of a particular coil? A list with coil models and specs perhaps?
There are references for many coils, but not all. For unknown coils that may be tested for ohms and induction (especially passive or "dumb" coils), the specs can be measured and calculated for dwell and corrections. For this you will need a multi-meter and LCR meter (to measure induction, about $10 online) and use a calculator program such as the one in this thread.
JTR wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:45 pmAre there any benefits to wasted spark COP vs regular dual coil? Would it be easier to setup?
Random: COP has benefit of potentially less noise due to short HT leads. COP is coil-per-cylinder, so maximum RPM is potentially higher than a shared (wasted) or distributor coil. They are small and so spark energy is lower -or- generally use much more current to obtain the same spark energy, if they can, although COP technology is improving. You also have that many more wires and connections to maintain, and non-stock applications generally require fabrication skills. Most use custom COP setups because they look different/cool, which is not a factor I can judge. While most applications for performance or racing will not benefit from COP; COP/CNP may (careful!) also help extend the retard range for special applications (anti-lag, noisemakers, etc) and other unusual or specific purposes, such as ICIT (individual cylinder ignition trim). TL;DR, each coil type has pros and cons, so IMO use what fits your project, purposes, skills and budget best.
What a coincidence, I will do the same thing, but in the Fiat Brava 1.6, the same engine. This is my first experience with programmable fuel injection and, as I am deeply familiar with this 1.6 fiat engine, I think it is a good way to learn more about this world by making some changes at this time.
For now, my question is: Is the signal to drive the coils negative or positive? These fiat engines, as the guy said before, use wasted ignition, the ECU emits a negative signal to wind up to fire two spark plugs at the same time. But I saw some ignition coils use a positive signal to drive, others use a drive, as @dzaq showed us.
I apreciate who could help with these questions.
I am responding to an old post here but figure it is worth noting that Tuner Studio gives the option to set your ignition signal as go low or go high. In other words, depending on if your ignition expects a positive or negative signal to fire, you can configure TS to accommodate.

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?