Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By LPG2CV
Is the fuel pressure ok?
Could it be leaky Injectors. Are some plugs wet, and some dry?

A log would still be useful.

It is possible you have a corrupt tune.
By Tal_S24
LPG2CV wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:43 am Is the fuel pressure ok?
Could it be leaky Injectors. Are some plugs wet, and some dry?

A log would still be useful.

It is possible you have a corrupt tune.
Plugs are absolutely fine, the car runs okay on idle at 11.8 and runs well at any other RPM/load other than idle.
Fuel pressure was checked and is fine, injectors are also okay.

I'll start the car up tomorrow, warm it up and send you guys the log of me switching between 5 and 6 VE

Also, about the corrupt tune - it happens on 3 different cars, it's just the most extreme case in the 1JZ. We had two different boards tested, two tunes and two different laptops :shock:
By Black Knight
I don't know if this will help. But.

Back to basics has solved many problems for me.

I had a similar issue. It was a voltage drop problem to the injectors. This created a slow opening injector making the dead time and piddle time almost as much time as the open time. Hard to tune that out. You will have fuel coming in that you can't tune out down at idle. It may not show as bad at higher RPM. Battery volts said 14.2 but ECU volts said 11.8v. Bad old relay and long skinny wire as the supply line. New relay and dedicated larger wire and a fuse and all was good.
I also added a fixed voltage so I always give the ECU 14.35 v as I found inj dead time was reduced at that voltage with no voltage correction needed.

There are other things like the list below.

Low voltage
Voltage correction
dead time
O2 sensor calibration
target afr on engine constants.
wrong injector (too large cc)
leaking injector
sequential injection on the wrong channel.
iat
wue

I may have missed something but I found many problems went back to basics and by going over them all again I found the problem.

One of my most simple examples is, I had a miss fire that was very strong at low end and almost was gone at mid range. I was new back then and assumed it was ECU base issue.
It was a sticking lifter.

I also had no idea back then what IAT was for and did not hook one up or nullify it so I got 9 deg adv messing with my crank angle. Iat also has fuel correction, so look here too.

We all do this some times.

Joke on me. I learned.

I may be wrong about it being the basics but it is worth a look.

Hope that helps

Black Knight
Last edited by Black Knight on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LPG2CV
I'm not an expert on tuning and all that knowledgeable regarding modern cars, but I do have some experience of data. :)

I think BK has a valid point regarding voltage. the log will give clues.

if the voltage is dropping at idle, then your injector correction slope is giving extra fuel it may not need. add that to the very low VE values and it would be difficult to get it right.

if it were me, I would be tuning from idle and work up, rather working down to idle.

but a log first :)
By Black Knight
LPG2CV wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:08 pm I'm not an expert on tuning and all that knowledgeable regarding modern cars, but I do have some experience of data. :)

I think BK has a valid point regarding voltage. the log will give clues.

if the voltage is dropping at idle, then your injector correction slope is giving extra fuel it may not need. add that to the very low VE values and it would be difficult to get it right.

if it were me, I would be tuning from idle and work up, rather working down to idle.

but a log first :)

Good to hear from you and good to be back.

Thanks for the support. I just hope it helps.

We all tend to over think things some times as the ECU set up and config and tuning is all about thinking.

Some times we just need to step back from the intellect to see the problem. Other times it is a tech intellect problem. Oh, the sword is sharp on both edges.

Black Knight.
Last edited by Black Knight on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By pani
Your injector voltage correction looks weird. Are you sure you have that large (124%) correction at 12 volts? Also try voltage correction only on open time and not the whole pw. Turn off IAT correction and no correction at the wideband page. Send a log again.
By Tal_S24
Uploading a log with this reply - the VE is on 6 on idle. Going from 6 to 4 almost doesnt change the AFR or the PW. At 3 it's too little and the engine shuts off. I tried playing with injectors dead time and the same thing happens just on a higher VE - 10, when the injector open time is at 0.7 instead of 1.0.
On the log I change betwee 6, 5, an 4 VE, then at 3 it shuts off.
Attachments
(43.82 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
By ric355
Tal_S24 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:39 am Uploading a log with this reply - the VE is on 6 on idle. Going from 6 to 4 almost doesnt change the AFR or the PW. At 3 it's too little and the engine shuts off. I tried playing with injectors dead time and the same thing happens just on a higher VE - 10, when the injector open time is at 0.7 instead of 1.0.
On the log I change betwee 6, 5, an 4 VE, then at 3 it shuts off.
I can't read your log. Don't know what MLG is but it isn't the format most people post on here. MLV can open it but it will only display the first 500 entries. I'm guessing maybe it's an MLV HD log?
By Tal_S24
Maybe it's because Im using the new version of Tunerstuio, V3.1.01? It's just a normal log file for me, although it uses a different extension than before.
Ignition Angle doubled?

I just erased the flash, went back to 2023-10, cre[…]

Doesn't look like you can edit posts? Correct. […]

BMW E23 M30B28

Don't forget, you can always fall-back to the &[…]

The basetunes were on so old version that they did[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?