Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By PSIG
As described in my post, I would suggest sending the Speeduino IGN signal to G. Try leaving W disconnected (no ground, no high). Set for Spark Output Triggers > going low. This will have the IGN high signal causing dwell and IGN low causing spark to fire. That should be the best configuration for a GM 4-pin as a controlled coil driver, at least with all the ones I've used. <shrug>
By Torslund
Since I don't know what inside the modul I just put a pull up resistor to G and ground it with a transistor, when breaker contact ground transistor it makes the G high and I got spark. W is grounded all time. So I get a square wave pulse to modul and car runs on that. Right or wrong I don't know :)
By PSIG
The trigger edge setting is only for how Speeduino handles the signal, and does not affect if it produces an output resulting in spark.

David
By scartail
I agree guys, not knowing the guts of the module is hard. I'm not advanced enough to poke and prod this module to figure out.

Is there anything i should do on the bench before, putting it on the motor? I rather burn out the module than the speeduino.
By PSIG
Not to worry, as this is an output with little chance of burning something when using the GM 4-pin as a coil driver. That said and for giggles, connect B+ to B, and ground to the mounting hole. Nothing else connected. Put a meter set for continuity from C to ground. It should read no continuity. Apply 5V (from the Speeduino 5V pin or a board 5V source) to G. Terminal C should now show continuity. Don't forget in all of this, that the ground for the module and for Speeduino must be shared (same source or grounds connected).

Likewise, you can connect it all as it will be in the vehicle (except coil), and use the Hardware Test mode in TunerStudio. Again test terminal C for state change when the signal is sent by Speeduino.

David
By scartail
PSIG wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:21 am Not to worry, as this is an output with little chance of burning something when using the GM 4-pin as a coil driver. That said and for giggles, connect B+ to B, and ground to the mounting hole. Nothing else connected. Put a meter set for continuity from C to ground. It should read no continuity. Apply 5V (from the Speeduino 5V pin or a board 5V source) to G. Terminal C should now show continuity. Don't forget in all of this, that the ground for the module and for Speeduino must be shared (same source or grounds connected).

Likewise, you can connect it all as it will be in the vehicle (except coil), and use the Hardware Test mode in TunerStudio. Again test terminal C for state change when the signal is sent by Speeduino.

David
David, I attempted what you suggested... unfortunately, I don't think I got the expected.

Step 1. Nothing else connected.
Grounded.
B+ to B (I measure 12v at B).
No Continuity between C and Ground. I do have continuity between G and Ground.

Step 2. Speeduino is powered now.
5v (pin 13) to G.
To confirm, I measured 5v coming from pin 13.
Still no continuity between C and Ground.

The I thought I use the ardustim to simulate rpm, crank and cam inputs. Before anything is connected to the hei module, all leds are flashing as expected. Soon as the 5v is applied, the all leds go dark.

You think there is something wrong with the module?
By PSIG
My testing proved-out. Note that (apparently) some modules do not have direct ground connection at the holes, but they ensure grounding to the heat sink plate on the back when mounted properly. I would test the module for ground continuity to the holes and heat sink plate just to be sure. I also cannot verify your wiring or procedures, so you'll have to verify that yourself. A good technical outline of the GM 4-pin is attached below. You should either have a good handle on module operation or go insane after reading, but I hope it helps. :lol:

David

(50 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Ignition Angle doubled?

I just erased the flash, went back to 2023-10, cre[…]

Doesn't look like you can edit posts? Correct. […]

BMW E23 M30B28

Don't forget, you can always fall-back to the &[…]

The basetunes were on so old version that they did[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?