Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
My thoughts on IAT sensor placement are that theory dictates the best location is just before the intake valve, in order to most accurately calculate the air density entering the cylinder. Real-life gets in the way with effects such as variable radiant temperatures and sensor heat-soak. My rule-of-thumb is to place it where variable external heat sources will not mess with readings, so if the location is temperature stable (except for intake air), then that location should work well.

There are methods to calculate throttle body dimensions for targeted required airflow, usually involving peak air velocity and other factors. While interesting and potentially useful for planning, the results are what count, and watching the loaded results on your MAP data will answer your questions. There are some workarounds if the results are close but not optimal. Hope that helps.

David
it has been a fun spring and summer, I finally finished up the fan shroud, put the motor on a stand, started on a dash, and finally turned the key, the motor started right up.
having it set up with a cooling shroud worked, the head temps are staying in check...
I decided to give a Raspberry pi4 with a touch screen, a try for a dashboard.
watched a few of the utube videos and gave it a try, this week end to install the tunerstudio on it.
I am half way there, was able to download it to the raspberry, but I got lost on where to get it to open up, none of the commands that others put in the directions were working, this is kind of entertaining, where I am on the learning curve. so I started to visit with a cousin that has forgotten more than I will ever know. so we will see if I can get some help to finish setting up the dashboard.
Attachments
10c screen.JPG
10c screen.JPG (63.36 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
16f front view.jpg
16f front view.jpg (31.04 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
10a loaded up tunerstudio.JPG
10a loaded up tunerstudio.JPG (99.03 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
6d left side.jpg
6d left side.jpg (266.28 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
the project is getting closer to getting done. the motor is running great, now just finishing up the odds and ends.
I was first thinking of locating the speeduino box in the console, but it has started to look kind of busy,
so I am looking at a few other locations for it. the big this is to keep it out of the weather to a certain point...
one location I am thinking about is inside the shroud, but I have a couple of questions..
while the motor is running, the cooling fan keeps a good amount of air flowing, the cylinder head temps stay around 350 degrees, but when I turn off the motor, I am wondering about the heat soak, that might happen..
thinking a little about this,
any thoughts about this placement
Attachments
138042266_10157754680725060_3786149405663128256_o.jpg
138042266_10157754680725060_3786149405663128256_o.jpg (51.06 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
137606794_10157754674025060_4826070671838567206_n.jpg
137606794_10157754674025060_4826070671838567206_n.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
It's coming together! 8-) Three thoughts; test, thermal divider, and height. I'd temporarily tape a cooking thermometer to the ECM box in order to determine if any or how much of a problem it might be. That box I see in the photos may provide some radiant heat shielding, else a thermal divider shield panel may be warranted. I would avoid too many sides on a shield, or it may block cooling flow, or even trap operating heat.

Also, after shutdown some heat radiates (the shield fix), and with convection hot air rises. Typically the cold air comes-in low points, while heated air will travel upwards to exit the top of the air inlet and outlets; so in-general, I'd keep the susceptible stuff down lower in the cooler incoming air layer. I'm looking forward to the final product!
PSIG wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:00 am It's coming together! 8-) Three thoughts; test, thermal divider, and height. I'd temporarily tape a cooking thermometer to the ECM box in order to determine if any or how much of a problem it might be. That box I see in the photos may provide some radiant heat shielding, else a thermal divider shield panel may be warranted. I would avoid too many sides on a shield, or it may block cooling flow, or even trap operating heat.

Also, after shutdown some heat radiates (the shield fix), and with convection hot air rises. Typically the cold air comes-in low points, while heated air will travel upwards to exit the top of the air inlet and outlets; so in-general, I'd keep the susceptible stuff down lower in the cooler incoming air layer. I'm looking forward to the final product!
that is a good idea. about the cooking thermometer, except the Misses has it under lock and key, after I borrowed it the last time. and ended up buying her a new one....but I might find a way..
a couple of thoughts, I am making a baffle, that will encase the speeduino, still working on it. But the bottom will have some holes in it for air flow, and I had a small 12v van, that will set in the bottom.
to activate it, I am thinking of a snap disc that closes at 130, then opens at 110. with the fan pulling cool air from the bottom.
this should be a win-win situation. the speeduino in a secondary enclosure, and a method to keep things cool.
Attachments
6c cooling fan.jpg
6c cooling fan.jpg (186.06 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
6d heat shield.jpg
6d heat shield.jpg (182.61 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
I finally think I have almost crossed another hurdle with this project, every sense last summer when it was mentioned about the fuel and oil pressure sensors being added, and I had always been wanting to add the oil & fuel temp. plus another head temp. So 5 more sensors in all.
Up until this fall, all I thought that was needed, was to wire the sensors to the back of the arduino board on the empty A0-A15 pins. but then reading more, I finally realized that protection circuits needed to be put in place.
but seeing the circuits on paper, then putting them on a board. I still have lot to learn.
A friend spent some time and helped me out, with that today. It may not look the best looking board, but the circuits check out with a pot. and as far as I know that is all that matters.
for power, I am tying into the 5 volt and ground that are on the proto area.
it could be fun to see what it would take to have a board made, where all I would need to do is plug in the resistors , capacitors, and terminal blocks. but what I have built should work.
Attachments
board location.jpg
board location.jpg (164 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
sensor board.jpg
sensor board.jpg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
tps or 3 wire sensor schem.jpg
tps or 3 wire sensor schem.jpg (397.25 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
coolant temp schem.jpg
coolant temp schem.jpg (366.74 KiB) Viewed 3322 times

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?