Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By TZ350
PSIG wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:58 pm My approach on troubleshooting stuff like this is to check the silly simple stuff first. "Is is plugged-in?" kind-of stuff.

For clarity; how many injector channels are you using? If multiple, do they all fail simultaneously? Does TS disconnect simultaneously? Any other common traits at failure? David
Thank you for the suggestions.

Running staged injection with three physical injectors wired as two separate logical injectors. Yes both fail simultaneously and TS disconnects about 3 sec's later.

As I have previously scoped the trigger signal all the way back to the pin on the Mega board my next move is to fit a 5V power source to support the Mega and other 5V external things.

After that I will be following up on your other suggestions.
Attachments
Gremlin Killer.jpg
Gremlin Killer.jpg (575.1 KiB) Viewed 8458 times
1A DC-DC converter.jpg
1A DC-DC converter.jpg (31.09 KiB) Viewed 8458 times
By TZ350
Well I fitted a 12 Volt to 5 Volt 1 Amp DC - DC converter to the Arduino 5V circuit. Nothing changed.

No cranking rpm or cranking injector pulse width, all other gauges display as expected and the pulse width and rpm appeared once the engine was running. But the engine would still randomly stop after a short while.

I did find that without the computer connected to the Speedy I could get the engine started with a puff of "Start You Basted" and then it would run reliably for ages but of course I can't tune it without the computer connected.

At least one of the fingers of suspicion are pointing to bad communications, USB port or driver maybe??? and of course there could be more than one problem?????
By Jama
TZ350 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 am .
Well I fitted a 12 Volt to 5 Volt 1 Amp DC - DC converter to the Arduino 5V circuit. Nothing changed.

No cranking rpm or cranking injector pulse width, all other gauges display as expected and the pulse width and rpm appeared once the engine was running. But the engine would still randomly stop after a short while.

I did find that without the computer connected to the Speedy I could get the engine started with a puff of "Start You Basted" and then it would run reliably for ages but of course I can't tune it without the computer connected.

At least one of the fingers of suspicion are pointing to bad communications, USB port or driver maybe??? and of course there could be more than one problem?????
Try fitting a low resistance resistor (15-60 Ohm) between the arduino reset pin and arduino 5v.
It could be a USB/Cable issue that is causing a reset of the arduino to happen.

This will pull the reset line up eliminating the chance of a reset.
Tunerstudio should still be able to connect.

James.
By TZ350
Jama wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:22 am Try fitting a low resistance resistor (15-60 Ohm) between the arduino reset pin and arduino 5v.
James.
Great, thanks, makes sense.
By TZ350
Tried to see if I could simulate the issue with a spare Mega board and the original USB cable. No luck, so when the dyno is free again I will explore it some more.
Attachments
Simulator.jpg
Simulator.jpg (552.83 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
By TZ350
Jama wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:22 am
TZ350 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 am Well I fitted a 12 Volt to 5 Volt 1 Amp DC - DC converter to the Arduino 5V circuit. Nothing changed.
I did find that without the computer connected to the Speedy I could get the engine started with a puff of "Start You Barsted" and then it would run reliably for ages but of course I can't tune it without the computer connected.
Try fitting a low resistance resistor (15-60 Ohm) between the arduino reset pin and arduino 5v.

This will pull the reset line up eliminating the chance of a reset.
Tunerstudio should still be able to connect.

James.
Hi James, having left my project in the naughty corner for a while I thought I would come back to it and see if its any more compliant, but alas no. I have tried the resistor idea. Also tried different USB cables and the BlueTooth connection. Issues remain.

Still no cranking RPM or Injector pulse width. Motor will start and run for ever after a squirt of Engine start but will not start by cranking. Also RPM and other signals briefly drop out when the engine is running. It keeps running but some of the gauges flicker randomly but all at the same time.

With the engine running I have scooped a good 24-1 signal at the Mega boards pin 19 at cranking speed. Blue trace. Yellow trace is a separate Ign trigger.

Tune:- download/file.php?mode=view&id=6332

Single cylinder two stroke, staged injection, 24-1 toothed crank wheel. TPS/RPM fuel mapping.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Attachments
Screenshot (195).png
Screenshot (195).png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 7997 times
(53.56 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Last edited by TZ350 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TZ350
TZ350 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 am
Still no cranking RPM or Injector pulse width. Motor will start and run for ever after a squirt of Engine start but will not start by cranking. Also RPM and other signals briefly drop out when the engine is running. It keeps running but some of the gauges flicker randomly but all at the same time.
After months of wandering lost in the wilderness I think I have finally found the reason for my starting issue. It is simple really.

I use a heavy duty drill running in reverse driving a big nut on the crankshaft to start the bike. This had worked well for ages. Then the old drills gearbox broke and I had to get another. Same reverse direction and speed. Also upgraded the firmware and had nothing but trouble since.

After putting a scope on the multi tooth wheel's inductive trigger pickup and studying the trace and thinking about it for a bit I realized what was happening.

The crank looked to spin around impressively but the trace showed that as the crank started coming up against some real compression near TDC . The crank slowed down and there was not enough flux through the inductive trigger pickup to generate a signal big enough for the Speedy hardware to recognize. My 24-1 wheel looked like something with two gaps, one regular and another larger one where the flux was weak.

The answer is to get a power-fuller drill. Simple really........... it has only taken ages to figure that out.... :lol:

The yellow trace is taken at Pin 19 on the Mega board and the purple trace is the inductive trigger pickup.
Attachments
Inductive trigger at cranking speed (1).png
Inductive trigger at cranking speed (1).png (2.36 MiB) Viewed 7916 times
By TZ350
I need some help. I have installed the latest Speeduino Firmware 201911, I want to use the swap between duel mapping option. Staged injection has worked for me before but with the new Firmware I am having problems with the second injector on staged injection.

The issue is that the Duty Cycle gauge goes out to its maximum on the primary injector. The gauge goes red and the engine cuts out until the rpm drops or I close the throttle a tad.

It looks like it is not recognizing it is supposed to be in Staged Injection mode and so not pulling in the second injector. I have looked at the code, but can't see where the issue is....... :|

Staged injection has worked before. I think something may have been inadvertently changed in the later Speeduino Firmware upgrades. Any pointers would be gratefully received.
Attachments
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (6).png (312.23 KiB) Viewed 7851 times
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (5).png (319.17 KiB) Viewed 7851 times

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?