For any discussion not specifically related to your project
Ceeloo Yello wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:19 pm If my tach is currently driven by coil 1 negative would I be able to just leave it there?
Also bike uses a manual choke so no idle air control, not sure yet how to fix this.
Yes, you can continue to use the coil (-) tach signal. Most simple setups do not require an idle valve for idle control, except for warmup, in order to avoid manual throttle jockeying. Warm idle should be stable with just the stock throttle adjustment (idle) screw, once it is properly tuned. As you have warmup idle control with manual choke, you should be fine to continue using that, as it will now only raise the rpm without directly affecting fuel. Speeduino will take care of that.

One advantage to idle control using even a simple on/off air valve, is "dashpot" function or idle recovery, assisting with more air as anti-stall if rpm swings too low on deceleration. Many setups do not have this issue, and you may not either; however, it's an option you can easily add later if you find it would be helpful after full tuning.

David

Many common and simple on/off valves such as the little purge valve below can be used for both warmup and idle stability, as described in the Wiki:
edutechnic wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:40 pm First off, thank you for this post. I design training for a living and that wiring diagram was very helpful for all the different crank/cam/ignition setups.

While I understand the basics of most of the sensors on my car (KA24E on my Datsun 620 pickup truck), I'd also like to see a simple board terminal diagram. I cannot figure out what 'TPS' and 'TPS ret' are on the board or if I should use a common ground for all the sensors like with Megasquirt or if the 'ret' is a ground for each sensor so Speeduino can read resistance accross the two wires, or if all sensors should go to the 'Gnd' terminal on the input section of the v0.3 board.

Some simple insight into the terminal labels would be fantastic! I was just screwing around and put my 12v CPS signal wire into the vref and watched a copper board tracing light up brightly! Yay!
Also interested in an answer to this or a link to where it is discussed?
I added some rough voltage details to the layout drawing, but because I see 2 questions per day just on the Facebook page that this guide answers, it's quite demoralising going on when you find out no one reads the guide.

The Wiki is a lot better than it was 2 years ago, but still there are little things that aren't explained at a beginner level. Like the Speeduino terminals pins are labeled but not explained, so a beginner still has to guess things like TPS and TPSret. Even the help descriptions in TunerStudio aren't for beginners, so very cryptic. Someone really needs to do a full explanation of TS and how things are derived, because people can go off on tangents due to not realising the purpose.
I agree, there are some 'holes' in the Wiki info, but most of the info is there, or in the download, or here, or common on the web. Keep in-mind, we are making an effort to not make an intimidating Bible of repetitive information already all over the Internet, and yet provide enough info for those that have researched to get a handle on the inputs/outputs and other functions. For example, between the large amount of technical info in the Speeduino download and the Wiki, most things are discoverable. We have our hands full showing how to use Speeduino to run your engine, without also teaching readers about all things EFI that is already everywhere on the Internet.

For example, the labeling of the "TPS ret" on v0.3 boards is undefined, and it is not shown on the dummy diagram as such. While it would make sense to re-label that connection as "Sensor Ground" or similar, a check on Google shows any return is a ground of some type, and looking at the Wiki TPS section, it's easy to see that you have a +5V, Signal, and Ground. As you can see +5V and TPS signal input on the board, it would make sense that the return is the sensor's ground. We even show you how to discover correct wiring if you don't know what yours is. ;) That said, we can always make small or large improvements, and different perspectives are appreciated.

I would welcome everyone to make comments and suggestions with solutions in the Forum's Wiki section. While we don't want to unnecessarily repeat a lot of standardized EFI, electrical, and Arduino information already out there, we can improve the terms and connections for info or understanding. Help us out!

David
I don't know why we bother with instructions because the number of questions I read where you can tell the person hasn't read any instructions is too many.

I see 4 groups :-
1-The electrical guys with EFI experience will have no problems.
2-The electrical guys with NO EFI experience can fumble through because they understand control and sensors.
3-The NON electrical guys with EFI experience just want to buy the assembled unit, wire it up, and start tuning.
4-The NON electrical guys with NO EFI experience are going to have to work for it no matter what, but can short-cut with the assembled, wire up, tune.

3 and 4 are the only problems, but if they go with assembled, wire up, all they need is comprehensive wiring instructions, and currently that is a bit cryptic on the Wiki for NON electrical guys.

I reckon there needs to be a small rudimentary sensor explanation so you know what to look for when sourcing parts, and a basic explanation how Speedy does stuff, ie only grounds stuff and uses voltage dividers for sensing.

As a NON electrical guy with NO EFI experience beginner that went through all this I reckon TunerStudio is the bigger problem. All the other stuff you can look up, even though that could take months, but I can't find good instructions for TS. Like I couldn't find instructions so I assumed you set INJ voltage correction to 100 when it's warmed up, turn on all all electrical accessories, and bump the enrichment for that voltage until the WB stops showing lean. Currently the quick fix is to add more detail to the TS help explanation icons, because the ones there are pretty brief and cryptic.
I hear you, and that is the eternal issue. A nice, tight guide outline that will obviously lack a lot of info for certain users, or a 2" thick bible with everything anyone could know? ;) You do what you can for those that are trying!
Old Grey wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:47 pm... I reckon there needs to be a small rudimentary sensor explanation so you know what to look for when sourcing parts, and a basic explanation how Speedy does stuff, ie only grounds stuff and uses voltage dividers for sensing. ...
You mean like this or this? It's a work in-progress. I do what I can, and am willing to, like you and other users. Again, you and I and everyone else (as far as I know) are just volunteers and users donating time and effort in support of each other, and we can only do what we can. You are often unappreciated, and while it is rarely voiced, you are appreciated more than you know (that is not an invitation to a circle-jerk). :lol:

David
PSIG wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:14 am You mean like this or this? It's a work in-progress. I do what I can, and am willing to, like you and other users. Again, you and I and everyone else (as far as I know) are just volunteers and users donating time and effort in support of each other, and we can only do what we can. You are often unappreciated, and while it is rarely voiced, you are appreciated more than you know (that is not an invitation to a circle-jerk). :lol:

David
That's kind-of what I was thinking - maybe put in more simpleton speak -, but I was thinking of a section where you can spot sensors at a glance, ie VR are 2 wire, Hall 3 wire, dumb coils 2 wire, etc.

The Speedy pinout is probably the most urgent - I read 3 requests for pinouts in the last 2 weeks -, and is a simple fix. V4 already has the pinouts but could use a simple description like, INJs have 2 pins to increase the current rating, and expanded descriptions like, this is the return from the TPS. V3 hasn't got anything, so I had to spend 1 hour helping someone on the weekend.

I think people are moving away from the electronics side and going more for assembled and wire, so a good wiring diagram would help immensely. The assembled and wire market is probably going to end up bigger, simply because it's simpler and it's not much more expensive.

We also need a brain to tell us how to fill in TunerStudio, because my trial-n-error guessing ended up being wrong. Like I found out after 6 months the the VE table wasn't just increase #s if you are lean decrease if rich, but you have to give it the engine's VE and it calculates pulse width from what you have in the AF table.

I guess w'll keep grinding at it, because instructions have come a long way in 2 years. Now only if we could get people to RTFM.

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

See my earlier post . The Base Tune sets t[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?