For any discussion not specifically related to your project
I would think you need some filtering on the trigger settings I needed medium. I would also take the plugs out I expect they are soaked in fuel by now. Put a lighter on them to burn off the fuel and then a quick brush. My car seems very sensitive to being flooded I had to take my plugs out and clean them this afternoon as it wouldn't start after i had changed some fuel settings. After cleaning them it fired up straight away. I have req fuel set at 12.7 now and VE values just created by tuner studio with the table generator. Good luck
I was checking timing with WOT just now, and with a trigger angle of 5° ATDC and timing locked to 10° BTDC I am getting around 30-32° of actual ignition timing on the light.

If I set the cranking timing to follow the trigger the cranking timing went to around 20° BTDC. I set the trigger angle from 5° to -5° and now it seems to be right on 10° for the first part of cranking, but the very moment it catches suddenly the timing marks disappear entirely and the engine stops catching! Back to the problem I initially had..
It ignites somewhere I cannot see with limited view of the pulley, but far outside the -30 to 30° range anyway. :(

Current settings:
Trigger angle: -5 deg ATDC
Trigger edge: Leading on both
Trigger filter: Medium
Re-sync every cycle: No

Cranking Advance Angle: 10° (0 does the same thing due to the cranking timing fix being on)
Spark Outputs triggers: Going Low
Fixed Angle: 10° (for testing)

Cranking bypass: Off
Fix cranking timing with trigger: On

I still cannot get the tooth logger to work. How can I get a visible log out of it?
Rob Ashton wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 pm I would think you need some filtering on the trigger settings I needed medium. I would also take the plugs out I expect they are soaked in fuel by now. Put a lighter on them to burn off the fuel and then a quick brush. My car seems very sensitive to being flooded I had to take my plugs out and clean them this afternoon as it wouldn't start after i had changed some fuel settings. After cleaning them it fired up straight away. I have req fuel set at 12.7 now and VE values just created by tuner studio with the table generator. Good luck
The table I'm using as a startup map is also a generated one.

FWIW, I just hooked up the stock ECU and it fired up on the very first stroke, so there was no notable flooding thanks to plenty of WOT cranking when testing the Speeduino. :)

I still cannot figure out why the ignition timing suddenly jumps far away when it exceeds the (now set to 400RPM again) cranking RPM threshold. It stays away until I let go and retry, too. Timing lock setting is supposed to keep the timing locked to 10 degrees BTDC, should it not? That's what I'm used to on my NA running Megasquirt, anyway..

I have gotten a better look at the BTDC part of the crank pulley's rotation and the marks are nowhere to be found in the 100° or so before TDC when they've jumped away.. They must be firing very far after TDC, then. Regardless, something weird is happening that shouldn't be happening and it's driving me up the wall ! :cry:

Furthermore, I just noticed thermo fan hysteresis does not work at all but I guess that has to be filed as a bug, elsewhere. :lol:
Have a look at the post I had going MX5 timing I think its called. It shows my trigger settings but from what your saying you have some are different to what I had;

I had trailing for both, Medium for both...
Fixed Angle 10Deg etc

However the timing light shows what you actually have, when it catches and it advances it sounds like the timings not locked so still reading off the spark table even though it appears you have the fixed settings ??? Why don't you set 10Deg to all the cells in the spark table in case it is actually reading from it then it cant advance.

Re the tooth logger, I could never get it to work or understand what it was showing. I used a scope and I think its probably what you need.

Rob
Rob Ashton wrote:Have a look at the post I had going MX5 timing I think its called. It shows my trigger settings but from what your saying you have some are different to what I had;

I had trailing for both, Medium for both...
Fixed Angle 10Deg etc

However the timing light shows what you actually have, when it catches and it advances it sounds like the timings not locked so still reading off the spark table even though it appears you have the fixed settings ??? Why don't you set 10Deg to all the cells in the spark table in case it is actually reading from it then it cant advance.

Re the tooth logger, I could never get it to work or understand what it was showing. I used a scope and I think its probably what you need.

Rob
I gave up for today due to the darkness and now rain as well.
Tomorrow I'll change the trigger back from Leading to Trailing; I think I changed that once to try it out but I didn't remember to reset it.

As for the actual place where it's igniting after the engine catches and it jumps: I still don't know exactly. All I can say is that it's not in the 100° BTDC to around 45° ATDC area I can see from the top without removing the intake hose.
I do have a theory: It might be trying to sync on the wrong (BDC) tooth after it goes from cranking to running mode, causing it to be 180° out.
Just to be clear: With the settings as they are now it no longer 'almost starts' as easily as it did before, but at least the timing mark stays solid at 10° when cranking now so that part is 100% OK now. The only problem I have is that when it does catch and exceeds the cranking RPM value, timing just jumps to some unknown place and doesn't come back to normal unless I do a power cycle.

Good tip about the spark table cells though, will do! It seems like the timing lock setting doesn't really work for some reason, like with the fan hysteresis setting. Don't know what's going on there..

is @PSIG still available to maybe comment on the situation? :)
Hi, so I'm about to build a v0.4.3 board for my 1.8 nb1 turbo mx5 :)
I have some questions before start building it :

1: doing 4 channel I should be able to run it in fully sequential right? (ignition obviously with COPs )

2: about alternator (can't find the post in additional boards ,link??) is the mx reg board for sale PSIG?
Does anyone tried IC L9409?
RevZ wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:12 pm
Rob Ashton wrote:... However the timing light shows what you actually have, when it catches and it advances it sounds like the timings not locked so still reading off the spark table even though it appears you have the fixed settings ??? Why don't you set 10Deg to all the cells in the spark table in case it is actually reading from it then it cant advance.
Rob
... The only problem I have is that when it does catch and exceeds the cranking RPM value, timing just jumps to some unknown place and doesn't come back to normal unless I do a power cycle.

Good tip about the spark table cells though, will do! It seems like the timing lock setting doesn't really work for some reason, like with the fan hysteresis setting. Don't know what's going on there..

is @PSIG still available to maybe comment on the situation? :)
RevZ - I don't know that I have a grip on the situation well enough to comment at this point. I'm not sure what you have or have not done. I would pursue Rob's suggestions for locking and/or fixing cell values for more clues. If the sprk was consistently out, that would be an easy phisical or settings fix, but I need a handle on exactly what is going sideways, under what conditions, to make any observations. Please post a short log of starting attempts, along with the msq containing the settings that produced the log. Maybe some more info there that is in-context. Else @noisymime may be able to run your msq on the bench with his tools in order to get some clues.
atntpt wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:41 am Hi, so I'm about to build a v0.4.3 board for my 1.8 nb1 turbo mx5 :)
I have some questions before start building it :
1: doing 4 channel I should be able to run it in fully sequential right? (ignition obviously with COPs )
2: about alternator (can't find the post in additional boards ,link??) is the mx reg board for sale PSIG?
Does anyone tried IC L9409?
@atntpt - yes, sequential is an option. No, the MX-Reg is already obsoleted, as we are moving to a more advanced processor-controlled ARC (alternator regulator controller) to allow more options and controls. The initial test control code is running in a daily driver MX-5 test mule now. 8-) However, release of the ARC is delayed as we are also including control support for a variety of makes and models well beyond the MX-5 that use vastly different control schemes. That said, let me know (PM me) when you would be requiring alternator control for your MX-5, and we can set you up for testing the latest Beta unit at that time, or get you going with an updated basic version in one way or another.

The L9409 is a generic controller IC, that can work for the MX-5 system if you want to try it out. It also functions in basic ways, so control options are limited, but should work to function a basic charging scheme that uses PWM for alternator field control. Note that the intent of the L9409 is to integrate it into the alternator, so some functionality is lost if you instead mount it remotely, but basic voltage control within about 1/2-volt (depending on temperature) should still be available, much like the Westfield board listed here earlier.

David

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?