Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By TDSA
PSIG wrote:There is no 'official' solution for outputs yet. My best answer for the combination of HC and LC outputs, is that:
  • Idle, VVT, and Boost should be on HC outputs for direct-drive of the devices by PWM. -- I agree with you, but configuring these just doesn't work...... :-)
  • Other outputs (Fan, Fuel Pump and TachOut) can be either HC or LC, to external relay or direct (TachOut).Once again agree 100% - just doesn't work out -- ill upload a new video showing what i mean and how the code, pin assignments and TS settings make no sense ...... at least some of them don't.... I'm hoping i don't have something wrong with the hardware.... :oops:
  • LC outputs from Mega D43 to D51 require a clamped driver of some kind, such as transistor with diode, ULN2803, or similar to drive a relay.definately going to try this - ordered the chip already.
  • All outputs except Idle are assignable in TS.
I get issues with the fuel pump - no matter what pin i assign it to in the TS setup, it will not change - however changing the thermofan pin in TS will change the fuel pump pin assignment automatically. ill show you a video of this in action. what i did was this:-

1) Assign TS pin5 for the thermo fan (IDC37) - and the fuel pump automatically changes to IDC38 - no matter what pin i assign to fuel pump in TS this IDC38 does not change unless i change the Pin assignment in TS for the thermofan (all this occurs with the utils.ino code with PinFan - 5 and Pinftuelpump - 4
2) Physical component connections as follows:- Q8 = IDC35, Q7 = IDC37, Q6 = IDC38, Q5 = IDC36
3) Schematic says that Q5 connected through Digital4 (arduino mega pin) should relate to HC_01_OUT - which is 100% correct BUT assign pin D4 to the Pinfuelpump -4 in the utils.ino file and in TS - and you don't get the same output - the fuel pump doesn't work on this pin for some reason...... it works on the IDC38 instead of 35 .....
4) Schematic says that Q7 connected through digital5 (arduino mega pin) should relate to IDLE_OUT - which is 100% correct BUT assign the D6 (according to the schematic) in the utils.ino code and/or in TS - and you can forget about the pin being your idle out pin -- Its actually your fuel pump pin ......

... and the tests i conducted stopped there, as I would like to understand how/why the assignments or code gets the physical outputs to behave in this way - :-(

As for what to do about the LC output drivers, either discreet transistors/FETs of some suitable kind, or the ULN2803 type can be installed in the 'proto' area. If using the ULN2803 as listed in the v.04 BOM, it can be installed with ULN leg 9 in PCB GND on the board and up across the D51 to D43 outputs for the ULN inputs. Cut ULN leg 8 if A15 might be used on Speeduino. I would just cut it. Image Lift ULN leg 10 and solder a wire from the leg to raw (Vbat) 12V+ on J3 or other raw 12V+ point such as U2, C16, C15, or JP1. Diagonally across the board would probably be best to minimize induction of noise. DO NOT allow ULN pin 10 to touch any part of the board except the wire connection to +12V! Image Either spread the ULN legs to reach the points to connect to the IDC 40-pin outputs on IDC pins 14 through 18, or bridge the connections on the bottom of the board. Select the LC outputs active on D51 to D43 as-required, and verify no conflicts with other outputs designated. I would test the outputs for correct function and on the correct pin with 5V and a 'scope before attaching 12V or installing. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the advise, i will try the ULN2803 as suggested and see how i progress, but the basics simply don't work, it seems that the effort and successfully at that, was put into the injection, and ignition, but there is either no documented instruction or layout of how to get the basic outputs working all at the same time.....

David
ULN_on_v04x.jpg
By PSIG
It would seem that others have either used it "out-of-the-box", or used pin combinations other than yours—or gave up and used something else. Somebody here tried Fan and I think just went to an external controller to get it going. I appreciate your effort in this, and perhaps if we do not have a path to move forward soon, you can enter your findings into a spreadsheet to see how it responds to help get (some) projects going.
David

[EDIT] Not trying to leave you dangling here, but my hands are full ATM, and Josh is working on some fundamental issues so I appreciate your effort in this. One change in today's Jan-b code release is Boost pin reassignment, which could affect your findings, and lead to more changes or corrections. :)
By TDSA
PSIG wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:19 pm It would seem that others have either used it "out-of-the-box", or used pin combinations other than yours—or gave up and used something else. Somebody here tried Fan and I think just went to an external controller to get it going. I appreciate your effort in this, and perhaps if we do not have a path to move forward soon, you can enter your findings into a spreadsheet to see how it responds to help get (some) projects going.
David

[EDIT] Not trying to leave you dangling here, but my hands are full ATM, and Josh is working on some fundamental issues so I appreciate your effort in this. One change in today's Jan-b code release is Boost pin reassignment, which could affect your findings, and lead to more changes or corrections. :)
100% David - ill press on myself with my limited knowledge, and try figure out how these things work. Ill share whatever it is i figure out - in the mean time ill try the Jan B code
Do you have continuity for ground on all parts that are not working?
Because some 0.4.1 boards don't have ground where it should be.

//Hasse.
By TDSA
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 4.01.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 4.01.50 PM.png (537.14 KiB) Viewed 7219 times
Hasse.69 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:17 am Do you have continuity for ground on all parts that are not working?
Because some 0.4.1 boards don't have ground where it should be.

//Hasse.
I don't quite understand your comment - please let me know which parts you referring to?

What i did do was check ground according to someone elses checks which i found on www.tasteslikepetrol.com and everything worked out fine with this test....
By Hasse.69
Sorry i got back and read it from the top , now i saw that you have a 0.4.2 board.
Then all should be ok.
On some 0.4.1 board there are no connection on the ground .
That means if you check continuity between two ground points it's broken , no connection.
But 0.4.2 is ok.

//Hasse.
By TDSA
OK guys who are interested, i have done some more testing with the Speeduino with the installation of the ULN2803 IC, and here are the results using standard January Version B Firmware with no mods done to the utils.ino file.

1) IDC40 Pin14 is NOT the Fuel Pump -- it is Pin16
2) IDC40 Pin 15 is in fact correct according to the diagram
3) VVT tests 100%
4) Idle PWM tests 100%
5) Boost doesn't test good in terms of the table changing its duty cycle - however switching it on and off in TS works 100%

More tests to come soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbTI4Awlwts&t=24s --- Odle control test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfDr_X-hVvE --- Fuel Pump test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRIzPLaYQDM&t=15s --- VVT test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_r1DTMGaFM --- Boost control test

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?