For any add-on boards such as VR conditioners, optos and OEM interface boards
By Old Grey
dazq wrote:I know its single sided but can you not put the uno on the back of the board to reduce its size? Else thats a lot of wasted copper board to etch...:-)
Opps. I knew the pots and the UNO was on the underside, but I didn't think about just stacking it over the tracks.
I also forgot about soldering it on the under. It would take some tricky soldering but I think it is possible, either that or flip the UNO and put it on top with a pot in each corner on the underside for legs.

I'll have a play with it, and I might be able to get it to a 100 x 100 broad now.

The 555 is the other board I'm looking at, but I don't have an actual Speedy to check if it's going to be ok.
I'm not that keen on the oscillator on the other one because of the problems I had with it so I'm looking into alternatives. You can buy a $1.20 ready made square wave with adj duty and freq osc, but you need a multimeter to set it up before you turn it on, and that doesn't make it PnP.
By cx500tc
Just playing around during a bout with insomnia while studying Old Grey's last image.

Board is 100mm x 80mm- about the size of two cigarette packs side-by-side.

2 layer board- back layer consists of digital ground plane, analog ground plane and two small traces; those vias could be sized up for above board jumper wires. Traces are all 16 mil but should be room to go to 24 for easier DIY board building.

All pots top mounted and connected to ADC channels- was thinking this as a shield with a TFT shield on top to display ADC readings and other parameters. So, it's leaning more toward 'pro' type but could be simplified... or the bare area above the 'duino could be made into a prototyping area.

Also added Reset switch.
Sim3_R1.png
Sim3_R1.png (29.65 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
By Old Grey
Now that one is fancy enough to go into production.

I'm going to cater for the home DIY toner transfer crowd and try to put the UNO upside down on the top if I can - soldering will be easier -.
By PSIG
cx500tc wrote:The Uno MUST be on the back side of the board since they don't have 'stackable' headers that allow it to mount to the top. It appears on top but in reality will be on bottom. Pin headers inserted from underneath will do this.
-
I meant underneath the pots and LEDs, like a typical shield, saving a substantial amount of board area. No reason the whole board couldn't be as small as the UNO footprint.

David
By dazq
Old Grey wrote:
dazq wrote:I know its single sided but can you not put the uno on the back of the board to reduce its size? Else thats a lot of wasted copper board to etch...:-)
Opps. I knew the pots and the UNO was on the underside, but I didn't think about just stacking it over the tracks.
I also forgot about soldering it on the under. It would take some tricky soldering but I think it is possible, either that or flip the UNO and put it on top with a pot in each corner on the underside for legs.

I'll have a play with it, and I might be able to get it to a 100 x 100 broad now.

The 555 is the other board I'm looking at, but I don't have an actual Speedy to check if it's going to be ok.
I'm not that keen on the oscillator on the other one because of the problems I had with it so I'm looking into alternatives. You can buy a $1.20 ready made square wave with adj duty and freq osc, but you need a multimeter to set it up before you turn it on, and that doesn't make it PnP.
To save having two boards, could you not have header pads for both the uno and the ebay 555 module? Then the builder could choose which to put on according to their needs/budget?
By cx500tc
PSIG wrote:
cx500tc wrote:The Uno MUST be on the back side of the board since they don't have 'stackable' headers that allow it to mount to the top. It appears on top but in reality will be on bottom. Pin headers inserted from underneath will do this.
-
I meant underneath the pots and LEDs, like a typical shield, saving a substantial amount of board area. No reason the whole board couldn't be as small as the UNO footprint.

David
I think the screw terminal connections would limit that a bit. Also, the pots take up a fair space. The one's I used are EVUF2L type and are 9mm; Old Grey's are 16mm.
By Old Grey
That sounds like an idea but there are a few problems with those eBay oscillator boards.

With the smaller 555 one I built the circuit, and it seams to put out a triangle wave. You will also have to remove the trimpot because it's hard to adjust and get a 1M for the board.
The other comes in 555 or 358 and has 2 trims. Duty can stay, and will have to be adjusted blind, but freq has to be removed.

I suppose I can make extra headers on the board so it's plug out UNO plug in oscillator board. I can also add the smaller Arduino confing.

Another thing is those square vertical shaft pots are too expensive at $2 each. The round ones are $3 for 10. Might have to add extra tracks for the green sq horiz shaft ones for more options.

It might be better to make a fully ambidexterity board, but if it goes over 100 x 100 you lose the PCB price break.

Also I don't think an Arduino can power 10 LEDs' at a time, or is that through the pins not the 5V.
By dazq
No i quite agree about keeping board size within price breaks.
If the 555 boards are iffy how about puting the simple 555 or whatever circuit onboard in the centre of the uno pinnout area.then populate that OR put an uno on it on headers?
I used the trimpot type variables with the pushin shaft extensions as they worked out cheaper still.
By PSIG
I agree, you could place the 555 and it's 7 to 9 components (or $1.25 module) as an option, also a $2.25 Nano as option, and $5 Uno as option #3. Perhaps just jumper them on a pin header like a zillion other modules and save the footprint space. Honestly, for the added features of cam pulse, square wave, multiple patterns, fixed or sweeping rpm, etc; I think most folks will opt to jumper or header the Uno they already have, or a Nano (either they can use for other things or the advanced simulator ;) ), and be done with it. But, options are good.

David
Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Honda J30 running

Okay, we now need to talk about violence and backg[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?