For discussion of anything related to the Speeduino documentation wiki
By PSIG
The guides for Bluetooth and IDE pinouts have been in the Wiki, and the original post I did on ULN setup is here. Most things are found by using the search bar, both here and in the Wiki. Do your thing!

David
By dazq
sheckta wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:48 pm Hi, i can't say for my own opinion for the first segments but i couldn't agree more on the last one!
I also had trouble finding anything mentionning uln's eventhough i found plenty of board images featuring uln's and never once was it mentionned that uln's were requiered (being that i'm a total beginer in electronics that is)

Anyway thanks for reading and have a nice day everyone! :D
Not meaning to disrupt this thread,

BUT uln are NOT required hence why they were removed from the design of the original v04 boards. They are optional depending on your project needs.
By Broke4speed
See, now that's where confusion starts.
I asked this question a while back, and was told that the ULN was required to activate a FP relay and provide a proper tach-out signal. If anything, the wiki should have information as to WHEN the ULN is required.
By pazi88
Yeah it would be good to include the section of how to add the uln, in case it is needed. I understand well that it's not needed in every setup, but still having the "how to" in wiki would be really usefull.
By sheckta
dazq wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:32 am
sheckta wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:48 pm Hi, i can't say for my own opinion for the first segments but i couldn't agree more on the last one!
I also had trouble finding anything mentionning uln's eventhough i found plenty of board images featuring uln's and never once was it mentionned that uln's were requiered (being that i'm a total beginer in electronics that is)

Anyway thanks for reading and have a nice day everyone! :D
Not meaning to disrupt this thread,

BUT uln are NOT required hence why they were removed from the design of the original v04 boards. They are optional depending on your project needs.
Hi there! not required as you said but could use a little mention somewhere on the wiki at least so that people don't fry their boards trying to drive a relay without a ULN... like i almost did on mine...
By dazq
Broke4speed wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:01 pm See, now that's where confusion starts.
I asked this question a while back, and was told that the ULN was required to activate a FP relay and provide a proper tach-out signal. If anything, the wiki should have information as to WHEN the ULN is required.
What are you using the 4 medium current outputs for ? The fuel pump output was designed to be on one of those?
With the tacho, the issue in saying you must do this or that is down to the vehicle setup and lots of variables there! My ford tacho runs quite happily off wasted spark coils using the twin diode method, but yes I have heard of some tacho that prove very difficult to get functioning.
This is why it is so difficult to say "you must do this" in the wiki
By PSIG
Broke4speed wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:01 pm See, now that's where confusion starts.
The link I posted above mentions both. ;) We discussed this many times here, and I agree, the default output for FP should be on one of the HC (sometimes called MC) outputs. Only if those are needed for other stuff should they be moved to something like a ULN in the proto area as-required.

However, it is very easy to move them to an HC output using several posts here also (like this), and yes, that basic info should also be in the Wiki along with a lot of other stuff. Your help in updating and filling the wiki would be appreciated! I did a lot of work in there, and I've had to stop until I can get a clear answer of how the Wiki info will be used long-term. That doesn't have to stop you!

David
By Broke4speed
dazq wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:25 pm
What are you using the 4 medium current outputs for ? The fuel pump output was designed to be on one of those?
With the tacho, the issue in saying you must do this or that is down to the vehicle setup and lots of variables there! My ford tacho runs quite happily off wasted spark coils using the twin diode method, but yes I have heard of some tacho that prove very difficult to get functioning.
This is why it is so difficult to say "you must do this" in the wiki
I'm currently not using the 4 MC outputs for anything, but in the old wiki there was no mention of needing to swap pins, IIRC. It would be far better to have the default firmware point an MC output to the Fuel Pump pin and say that if a 4th MC is needed, the FP can be run off a ULN and the MC re-purposed. It makes for a far more user-friendly setup, for people just getting their feet wet and attracted by the open-source nature of Speedy. Some folks are great coders but terrible mechanics, and vice versa.
By Broke4speed
The link I posted above mentions both. ;) We discussed this many times here, and I agree, the default output for FP should be on one of the HC (sometimes called MC) outputs. Only if those are needed for other stuff should they be moved to something like a ULN in the proto area as-required.

However, it is very easy to move them to an HC output using several posts here also (like this), and yes, that basic info should also be in the Wiki along with a lot of other stuff. Your help in updating and filling the wiki would be appreciated! I did a lot of work in there, and I've had to stop until I can get a clear answer of how the Wiki info will be used long-term. That doesn't have to stop you!

David
A link is great, but if it's not in the wiki, then it just adds confusion. I wasn't aware the wiki was user-editable, I've never tackled anything like that before and wouldn't know how to start. Is there a peer-review to ensure the information is correct?

I find the way the pin re-assignment is done is a bit confusing. In the drop-down, wouldn't it be better to use the IDC pinout #s instead of the Mega pins? Saying to move the FP output from pin 45 (Mega) to pin 7 (Mega) in order to get the FP output to come out on IDC pin 35 is VERY confusing. The original FP output is pin 45 (Mega), but it's actually pin 16 IDC? It's not user-friendly IMO.
Last edited by Broke4speed on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By dazq
You need access setup by Josh to the wiki, just ask him :-)

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?