For discussion of anything related to the Speeduino documentation wiki
By Old Grey
PSIG wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:03 pm The structure is a bit of a hairball and changed (again) as I was about to add a large amount of content (most of the Tuning application section), making the addition useless in the new structure without a full rewrite.
David
I was thinking about doing a 1st engine start video, which I think I know enough about but probably not necessary because most people get theirs started, and a Tuner/TunerStudio insts, which I don't know enough about and can't find good insts for. I wouldn't mind reading your thoughts on tuning.
By PSIG
OG, my angle is to provide the general framework for accomplishing a task, then break the framework into steps, then further to the requirements of each step, in order for them to all come together to reach the goals of the task. A large portion of tuning theory comes into play before the engine is started the first time, and it's very easy to lose critical steps in a sea of information. Rather, I feel we must assume the user knows what it basically takes to run an engine, and we are only showing them how to have Speeduino do that instead of a carburetor or different ECM, in clear but increasingly detailed steps.

In the case of the Wiki, the "configuration" section contains the specific system info and how to instruct the ECM to control it, while the "tuning" section is which specifics to use, when, and why. The balance of writing everything you'd ever need to know, against some assumption that certain basic knowledge is existing or obtainable by the user must be made, with the added assumption that a user at the level of creating a custom engine management system from scratch already has at least the basics of that in-hand or nearby. ;) An analogy would be a recipe book, where we can't reasonably take time and chapters to explain what a mixing bowl is or what eggs are, or that heat may be required to cook, with too little or too much under-cooking or burning the food; and therefore must assume the reader already has basic knowledge of cooking as a prerequisite — or will obtain it.

In the case of "first engine start", an outline might involve four basic steps to reach that point, perhaps consisting of:
  1. determining requirements of inputs and outputs (IO), quantities and coordination,
  2. instructing the ECM to deliver those requirements,
  3. verification those instructions are occurring how and when they should,
  4. first engine start and continued running.
Moving-on to breaking those down further in the next section, such as defining the first step as required sensor inputs for this specific project (trigger signals, temperatures, etc.), outputs (injectors, coil drivers, etc.), followed by quantities (hypothetical pulses, VE, dwell, etc.) and coordination (squirts-per-cycle, ignition timing, firing order, etc.). The second step to refer to Configurations and Settings to instruct Speeduino through TunerStudio how to accept input and then output the requirements determined in the first step. The third step to verify the ECM is actually doing what it's supposed to in harmony with the vehicle, including valid RPM, injector operation, fuel pump operation, reasonable fuel rail pressure, spark plugs sparking and in correct order, timing of the sparks matches the settings, etc. And the fourth step of starting, observing engine responses, determining errors and making corrections.

Finally, the last section is telling users how to actually accomplish those steps, some of which is already accomplished. How Speeduino uses VE. How to use the VE Table Generator to rough-in the VE table, or manually create a VE table if you don't have that tool. Fortunately, much of step two is covered (or should be), such as how to set the dwell determined in step one, or trigger function, or calibrate sensors and provide correction tables, or set priming pulses, WUE or ASE. How to effectively test for proper hardware operation before starting, in order to avoid excessive wasted time and frustration, or even damage. And lastly what cautions and steps to take on first-start, what will likely need adjustment from the step-one hypothetical to the new step-four reality, along with how to do that and in logical order for success using TS, logs, MLV, and other tools effectively. Note the 'first engine start' is only the last of these sections, but requires stepping through the first three to get there. See, that was simple! :lol: Viable alternative structures, methods, and suggestions should be open to discussion and implementation.

David
By Old Grey
Holly carp that looks like a lot of work, and maybe a bit too technical unless it's in simple speak. I would write the table of contents first with chapters and subjects only in heading form, and see if it's too much.

Currently now I would say we need a TunerStudio guide first. I couldn't find any guides to fill in TS so I assumed things - wrongly -, and just used trial and error. I hate fumbling around not knowing what I'm doing, observing results, and then formulating new hypothesis based on what I see. I would rather know what to do, and how it does stuff, beforehand.

My experience as a total dummy was to fumble around until I realised I didn't know enough. I then looked for TS tutorial video series, and found that old MS series that goes on too much with options we don't have and not explain the critical things well enough. I learnt a little bit there. but the biggest revelations were in posts on the FB page. I thought 'INJ Open Time' was just a courser fuel knob when you ran out of 'Reqd Fuel', but when some details were mentioned on the FB page I researched it and found it to be quite important. Also I thought the VE table was just missed labeled and made #s bigger when I needed more fuel, because I didn't know the VE and AF table were linked to calculate INJ duration. Also I didn't know how the 'INJ Voltage Corr' graph was made, so I just turned on all car accessories and adjusted the line until the idle AF wasn't lean anymore, rather then testing INJ delay at different voltages. Basically what I would like is each setting in TS explained, what it depends on , and how it works, but put simply and throughly explained - the little helps in TS assumes you know too much for a beginner -.

I uploaded logs and last tune and dyno plots look[…]

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?