For general talk about the Speeduino project itself. Future plans, legal stuff, meta etc.
By danielp3344
LPG2CV wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:53 pm I think this is some sort of way of you getting kudos, or you would be mentioning this on Slack. However, Slack has marked you as such, and deleted you!
?
By PSIG
danielp3344 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:55 pmYou can also keep history in an organized fashion that stays around forever if you so desire.
That's a possible solution versus Slack, though adding options often adds capability, but more confusion. Being unfamiliar, I do not know how well that would work here as a simplifying and congregating solution. As far as the bridging, it would be of greatest benefit if it were to link the Forum pages to the chat rooms, effectively integrating a direct link for forum users.

@LPG2CV — how did you detect that?

David
By LPG2CV
David

This felt like SPAM to me. Though I am happy to review my thoughts as the OP has continued to post. :)
By ric355
danielp3344 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:55 pm
PSIG wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:45 pm So, I hope you understand that Matrix may be an awesome solution for something, but the initial reaction you may get can be… less than enthusiastic. ;) That is, unless it simultaneously helps to solve some of the issues stated. If it can, please post that info for us.
Well, what I can tell you is this: matrix is fully libre and federated, meaning you can run your own server that still allows all other servers you communicate with you and your rooms. You can also keep history in an organized fashion that stays around forever if you so desire. But the biggest perk of matrix is it was designed so you can use a matrix room to bridge all the other chat rooms together enabling everyone, regardless of platform, to access the room (there are links to bridges in the URL I sent earlier). I think this would be a good thing for the speeduino community in general
In the list of bridges covered, the only one we use is slack. So there is no advantage to having a bridging capability. We'd only get an advantage if we added something else, which is the opposite of what's needed given the 5 sources mentioned.

It seems like it's just the slack UI that is not liked (ref the first sentence in the opening post). Like I said before I can't see a problem with it myself. It isn't exactly complicated and it's just a messaging platform. I previously suggested we should remove it and prefer that people use the forum where stuff is retained and searchable, but it seems a lot of people like the instant nature of it (seems to be the same with facebook).

There is no advantage to having our own server for another messaging system (even if it bridges/mirrors slack). In fact this is a massive disadvantage, because someone has to maintain it and that would be Josh no doubt, and he actually has a proper job as well.

I don't subscribe to the view that every tool we use must be open source and self-managed. It just introduces more effort when that effort could be spent furthering the main goals of the project.
By linkus
I don't see the reason for hosting a matrix chatroom/bridge, if you really want to use your IRC-client maybe use a slack-gateway? or use a client that is able to connect to slack and IRC and so forth, like weechat? that is how i do it.

However i really don't think that the majority of people that uses speeduino actually uses IRC anymore? But i can be wrong.
By noisymime
There was an IRC room for a long while, but honestly Slack is a far, far better option. There's an argument to be made for using something like Discord instead, but it wasn't really a thing when I started the Slack team and switching now is a pain.

I can look at setting up a Matrix bridge or something, but I'm not sure how involved that is.

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?