Anything else whatsoever... Keep it clean though.
infinityedge wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:40 pm
Yachtsman wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:29 pm I haven't tuned an engine for 37 years
So you've never tuned an EFI engine.

Yeah, you're totally going to fuck this up.
27 years And no I've never Tuned an EFi engine myself, engines work the same though. suck, squeeze, bang, blow.
Yachtsman wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:23 pm 27 years And no I've never Tuned an EFi engine myself, engines work the same though. suck, squeeze, bang, blow.
Sure it does... instead of a dozen different variables that can be adjusted on a Carb, you now will have 1000+ variables to adjust. Easy as 1, 2,3... :lol: #InForTheBoom
klotzy_550 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:13 pm
Yachtsman wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:23 pm 27 years And no I've never Tuned an EFi engine myself, engines work the same though. suck, squeeze, bang, blow.
Sure it does... instead of a dozen different variables that can be adjusted on a Carb, you now will have 1000+ variables to adjust. Easy as 1, 2,3... :lol: #InForTheBoom
Tuning an engine on a computer in your front room on a spreadsheet. not in a draughty garage who wouldn't choose that?!!! All my Speeduino's will be bluetooth put a steel hood/bonnet down it's securely in a Faraday cage.
That's why I'm using a carburettor to start with, I haven't tuned my own cars since I was 30 and don't intend to start now. I learned many years ago I can make more money with my intelligence than I can being a mechanic. I still like to watch mechanical work being done for fun. I've even got an engine hoist in my kitchen, I'd keep dropping nuts as my hands aren't dexterous at all. I saw a dedicated ethanol engine of more compression than any petrol engine was would be more thermodynamicly efficient right away and really good on emissions I'm just not exactly sure on it's output.
Macs wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:34 am You could start by opening up the jets to flow 63% more fuel. That might get it in the ballpark to fire.
That is the way you convert a engine with standard petrol/gasoline compression. The whole basis of my compression theory is if you reduce the size of the combustion chamber you use less fuel a side effect off that is you increase the compression which isn't bad, because all your doing is increasing it and nearer it's optimal compression. What you're doing on a molecular level is increasing the energy density of the ethanol vapour by compressing it so you need less to get a bang
...But you will be globally too lean as ethanol has a stoich air to fuel requirement around the 9:1 mark. So if you get the engine to even sputter using that mentality, it will be a miracle. Ethanol stoich ->9:1 whereas petrol is around 14.67:1, so according to stoichiometry, you will need to inject still more fuel that petrol since ethanol has a lower air to fuel requirement for perfect combustion. You can thank the extra oxygen atom for that! :lol:
But that is chemistry, which is obviously beholden to big oil. Y'man thinks it is wrong, therefore it is!

I'm still betting on him going super lean (because compression is more important than chemistry, so of course it will use less fuel than a petrol engine) and melting a piston or two. Especially if he tries to tune it analog first.
I haven't got any heart felt beliefs except that an engine with high compression running ethanol will need a truck clutch, gearbox, and differential. High compression does mean good thermodynamic efficiency, but it will need care but to do reasonable mileage. It will need an EFi system eventually but if it doesn't work on carb it probably won't work, ethanol engines do run and have been running for years with compressions between gasoline and mine I just want to get the mileage up, but I'm not going to run so lean that I burn valves or melt pistons, damage to the engine would be unforgivable.
Yachtsman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 pm I haven't got any heart felt beliefs except that an engine with high compression running ethanol will need a truck clutch, gearbox, and differential. High compression does mean good thermodynamic efficiency, but it will need care but to do reasonable mileage. It will need an EFi system eventually but if it doesn't work on carb it probably won't work, ethanol engines do run and have been running for years with compressions between gasoline and mine I just want to get the mileage up, but I'm not going to run so lean that I burn valves or melt pistons, damage to the engine would be unforgivable.
You don't need to worry about damage to the engine when you try to run at 1.63 Lambda. Mainly because it isn't going to run at all. :lol:
klotzy_550 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:15 pm
Yachtsman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 pm I haven't got any heart felt beliefs except that an engine with high compression running ethanol will need a truck clutch, gearbox, and differential. High compression does mean good thermodynamic efficiency, but it will need care but to do reasonable mileage. It will need an EFi system eventually but if it doesn't work on carb it probably won't work, ethanol engines do run and have been running for years with compressions between gasoline and mine I just want to get the mileage up, but I'm not going to run so lean that I burn valves or melt pistons, damage to the engine would be unforgivable.
You don't need to worry about damage to the engine when you try to run at 1.63 Lambda. Mainly because it isn't going to run at all. :lol:
Says you! This engine is an example when experiment is the only way we'll truly know if it will work. At the moment the carb is on a shelf. The engine is only a lump of metal with potential. When it ready to fire I'll do what anyone would do, it's been apart, so I'll put the distributor in to the notch then twist it to give one degree more advance, but leave it finger tight so I can turn it. The jets in the carb might be right, but one never knows.
Last edited by Yachtsman on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?