Anything else whatsoever... Keep it clean though.
Petrol/Gasoline is more energy dense than ethanol, but it is comparatively low octane and so can only burn in an S.I.engine with 25% to 30% efficiency. I think I can get 50% efficiency if I use 95% ethanol and 5% water mix in a compression optimized engine. I've bought an old push-rod Ford V6 known as a British Essex engine which I have been having re-built under my direction and put in a stand at a Machine shop called Cornwall Engines. It's been re-built with Ford(USA) 200 cid pistons and Ford(USA) 352(W) con-rods I chose those pistons and rods because they were cheap (less than £500 delivered)and not liable to be unavailable anytime soon. Forged custom Essex pistons were £500 each and the firm making them asked damn fool questions. As I've not been to see the engine I find it needs a battery tray and wiring up. It has at the moment a Webber carburetor and a FoMoCo distributor in which I have replaced the points and condenser with a Hall effect trigger. I would have liked it finished sooner, but it seems like every time I call we're awaiting parts or the shop is full of fishing boat engines.
Last edited by Yachtsman on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
By cx500tc
For what it's worth, I believe the Ford Windsor block is 351 CID, not 352, but then again....

On another note, auto engine manufacturers are struggling to get every bit of energy out of whatever fuel they use and they have multi-million dollar research and development budgets... and they haven't hit 40% efficiency. Yet you think you can get 50%?

I have no problem with lofty goals, but one does need some grounding and a basis in reality.
Old Grey wrote:Every time you order custom Forgies the form you have to fill out is as long as your arm, that's normal practice, we've even had to send chamber molds for some. You can find a lot of power in the pistons/ring, because 42% of an engines friction is there.
Sorry Typo must have hit the wrong key, double vision does that, perhaps but, when you say exactly like for example a Ford I-six part number #####, but with no dimple in the crown I think that's explicit enough, Especially as no engine existed.
Old Grey wrote: You might want to watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZCnG1HwDM
Well I've watched it, one of the first things he said was the rules made the compression 12 to 1 and that put the lines on that graph where they where and that was the rules and that was that.
funny the rule gasoline engines work with is 8 to 1 set by the pinging of unleaded so that line is moved. With higher compression the possible efficiency of any engine goes up

isn't NASCAR using E85 now or is that the Indianapolis 500?
cx500tc wrote:For what it's worth, I believe the Ford Windsor block is 351 CID, not 352, but then again....

On another note, auto engine manufacturers are struggling to get every bit of energy out of whatever fuel they use and they have multi-million dollar research and development budgets... and they haven't hit 40% efficiency. Yet you think you can get 50%?

I have no problem with lofty goals, but one does need some grounding and a basis in reality.
Gasoline is stuck at under forty it's just a natural characteristic it's low octane, with an optimised ethanol engine it's possible efficiency is higher it's not my goal it's just a natural Characteristic, diesel engines do 50%. It's not clever design far from it's a two valve push-rod engine
Last edited by Yachtsman on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cx500tc
Yachtsman wrote:
cx500tc wrote:For what it's worth, I believe the Ford Windsor block is 351 CID, not 352, but then again....

Gasoline is stuck at under forty it's just a natural characteristic it's low octane, with an optimised ethanol engine it's possible efficiency is higher it's not my goal it's just a natural Charicteristic
I can drive about 5 miles from my home and buy 110 octane gasoline. It's not cheap, but it's available, so your assertions about gasoline being low octane is asinine.
cx500tc wrote:
Yachtsman wrote:

Gasoline is stuck at under forty it's just a natural characteristic it's low octane, with an optimised ethanol engine it's possible efficiency is higher it's not my goal it's just a natural Charicteristic
I can drive about 5 miles from my home and buy 110 octane gasoline. It's not cheap, but it's available, so your assertions about gasoline being low octane is asinine.
Even more asinine is this unfounded (in science/physics) belief of yours that ethanol and raised compression will result in a increase of thermodynamic efficiency, let alone 10% more then the best modern tech can do, with your ancient engine (that does nowhere near 40% now) Because it won't...
Last edited by RichCreations on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
By cx500tc
RichCreations wrote:
cx500tc wrote:
Yachtsman wrote: Gasoline is stuck at under forty it's just a natural characteristic it's low octane, with an optimised ethanol engine it's possible efficiency is higher it's not my goal it's just a natural Charicteristic
Even more asinine is this unfounded (in science/physics) belief of yours that ethanol and raised compression will result in a increase of thermodynamic efficiency, let alone 10% more then the best modern tech can do, with your ancient engine (that does nowhere near 40% now) Because it won't...
I'll give you a pass on this since it's obvious your reply wasn't directed at me.

Don't let it happen again. ;)
cx500tc wrote:
RichCreations wrote:
cx500tc wrote: I can drive about 5 miles from my home and buy 110 octane gasoline. It's not cheap, but it's available, so your assertions about gasoline being low octane is asinine.
I'll give you a pass on this since it's obvious your reply wasn't directed at me.

Don't let it happen again. ;)
Sorry, I was agreeing with you, and adding to it...
Yachtsman wrote:

Gasoline is stuck at under forty it's just a natural characteristic it's low octane, with an optimised ethanol engine it's possible efficiency is higher it's not my goal it's just a natural Characteristic, diesel engines do 50%. It's not clever design far from it's a two valve push-rod engine
As for High Octane, here in the US, we can order 160 octane from VP fuels (Aircraft Racing Fuel) which FAR exceeds the octane of your ethanol... and even it can't do what you say ethanol will.

Do your thing, and I'll leave you to it, but your […]

Plugs, where to get?

Connector #003: Arduino Pin-Header 2.54mm spac[…]

http://i.imgur.com/jcGk3A4.gif

Always going to be one, I have completed 3 convers[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?