Anything else whatsoever... Keep it clean though.
By Yachtsman
Naturally I applaud that the newer firmware has got that in, but the whole premiss that I've been working on is that the higher the octane the more boost or compression the engine can sustain. Could speeduino crank up the boost until the engine pinks(ping's)? My next project will be a Ford Cortina 1600E engine re-built to 15 to1 with a turbo on. Running e85 or e100. I suppose in theory you could even run an engine with e85 and limp home on e10 with boost to fit what happened to be in your tank.
As someone running a turbo 1600 Cortina on E85, I am very curious how this will wind up at 15:1 :lol:

The thermal properties of these engines aren't well suited to turbos at all and whilst you can make it work, you need to be very careful how you deal with things like the pistons. How much boost do you plan on putting through it?
noisymime wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:04 am As someone running a turbo 1600 Cortina on E85, I am very curious how this will wind up at 15:1 :lol:

The thermal properties of these engines aren't well suited to turbo' s at all and whilst you can make it work, you need to be very careful how you deal with things like the pistons. How much boost do you plan on putting through it?
Well what I generally do is search for a set of pistons with just the diameter , compression hight, and gudgeon(wrist)pin diameter if you can find some you don't have to pay silly money for a set of custom forged pistons nor do yo have to buy a huge turbo.
noisymime wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:04 am As someone running a turbo 1600 Cortina on E85, I am very curious how this will wind up at 15:1 :lol:

The thermal properties of these engines aren't well suited to turbo' s at all and whilst you can make it work, you need to be very careful how you deal with things like the pistons. How much boost do you plan on putting through it?
Well what I generally do is search for a set of pistons with just the diameter , compression hight, and gudgeon(wrist)pin diameter if you can find some you don't have to pay silly money for a set of custom forged pistons nor do you have to buy a huge turbo. I'm told most cast iron engines with un-skimmed heads will stand 15 to 1.
Yachtsman wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:37 pm

Well what I generally do is search for a set of pistons with just the diameter , compression hight, and gudgeon(wrist)pin diameter if you can find some you don't have to pay silly money for a set of custom forged pistons nor do you have to buy a huge turbo. I'm told most cast iron engines with un-skimmed heads will stand 15 to 1.
You won't have much luck finding suitable other pistons for these engines due to the combustion chamber requirement. You also need to get pistons to match the compression you're after as you can't just skim the head to get it where you want.

I'm running forged pistons with ceramic coated tops and still worry about the heat soak at 10psi.
noisymime wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:29 pm

You won't have much luck finding suitable other pistons for these engines due to the combustion chamber requirement. You also need to get pistons to match the compression you're after as you can't just skim the head to get it where you want.

I'm running forged pistons with ceramic coated tops and still worry about the heat soak at 10psi.
Generally it's a compromise you aim for a compression between 15 and 16 and a 1/2 to 1, measure the bore and hope. Mostly with common engines it's not a problem. Of course I've only rebuilt heron head engines that don't interfere, with forged pistons if you want multiple sets prices really come down. Kent 1600 flat top forged 3x sets of four trade C/W rings same price as each from Burtons. Thing is it costs the same time to set the machine up to make 1 as 12 or even 1200
Shouldn't you make your other engine run before you start another, and here you are telling an expert that you know better about an engine he has actually built/raced under boost, Ha...
Yachtsman wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:16 pm
noisymime wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:29 pm

Generally it's a compromise you aim for a compression between 15 and 16 and a 1/2 to 1, measure the bore and hope. Mostly with common engines it's not a problem. Of course I've only rebuilt heron head engines that don't interfere, with forged pistons if you want multiple sets prices really come down. Kent 1600 flat top forged 3x sets of four trade C/W rings same price as each from Burtons. Thing is it costs the same time to set the machine up to make 1 as 12 or even 1200
Yes that's right, but I was only saying what I have done and buying pistons is something you have to do before the engine is even assembled especially as you might have to machine them, currently I've got pistons for my 1600 Kent that say Dodge on the box and some others that say Audi TT ,VW golf, 2.0 Passat.
apollard wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:34 pm Since you are wanting to turbo charge an engine, I think we can safely assume your NA engine didn't quite do what you stated it would.
Not at all, the British 3.0L Essex V6 is just waiting . It seems I chose a machine shop that had contracts with Cornish fishing boats, the RNLI, Emergency services and local authority's and the like and I as those jobs are 'rush jobs' I'm continually giving up my place in the job queue to people like that. I'm just as convinced that an engine of 16.51to 1 compression can run on ethanol it just can't be FLEX. As a lifelong Yachtsman(that's why I use that handle)[well since I was 14]and an associate member of the RYA I couldn't Let someone work on my engine while an RNLI boat was U/S. Anyway I might think it's reasonable that ethanol engines of moderately high compression will start better in the warm weather but we'll see.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/10 ... ged-d.html I see I'm not the only one that understands the laws of thermodynamics.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?