For anything not related to Speeduino, but still about car/bike/boat/engines etc
By Taxman
Hi guys. What literature do you recommend to learn to make a wiring harness from scratch? I found some books about wiring on amazon, mainly from Mr. Tony Candela. Have you guys read them? Are they any good?

Thanks a lot

p.s.: yes, I know about the wiring courses on HPA, but I´d rather spend $40 on books, then $330 on videos.
By PSIG
I would say it depends on what you need for info. Are you looking for standards and methods that are accepted for wiring harnesses (sizing wire gauge, type fo insulation, connection methods, etc.)? Or, methods and techniques for planning and assembling your harness (measuring runs, using nail boards, assembling connectors, tricks & tips, etc.)?

I have found that the aviation departments (in the USA, the FAA) often have some of both but mostly technical, while aviation associations (here it's the EAA) freely offer both and mostly the latter for users to build their own stuff easily. The aviation viewpoint and knowledge is often used in racing, as the wiring must be reliable and robust, but should not be more complicated or heavier than necessary. Just a thought for more ideas on where to get your info.

David
By Taxman
First of all, thanks for the tips. I have only general car technician knowledge about wiring (e.g. not much really), but I´ve done some standalone ECU harnesses so far, to various extend of trouble with them :) . I´m imagining a book "How to DIY ECU harness (don´t be an idiot, do it this way and do not do that)" would be the best, but I´m aware that it is rarely this simple :) . Basicly I need to avoid troubleshooting the whole software setup / engine build just to find a wiring issue I made myself (as I did in the past). So I want to extend my knowledge in all topics: standards, methods, planning and assembling. Tips and tricks will also be nice. I´ll give a try to the EAA guidelines you mentioned (if I can find them) and I´ll see.
By jrbe
Search the web for Molex crimp right wrong and look through the pictures. https://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/u ... _crimp.pdf is good too. Terminal crimps are one of the more human element issues found in harnesses that are hand made. You dont have to use molex terminals unless theyre on your board - good info either way.

Consider using tinned wire, this helps keep the connections & wire in good shape long term. Make sure its rated for higher temp and oil resistant.

If you're in the US Waytek wire is a decent resource for finding split loom, loom holders, etc. There are others too of course.

Relays and connections in the engine bay should be sealed unless they're boxed up or the vehicle will never see wet weather.

Shrink tubing can help identify wiring if you use all one color. If you can find multiconductor cable with striped and colored wires that will help keep you sane when troubleshooting or tracing the harness around.

Resist the urge to wire your fuel pump to the ignition switch or a on / off switch. Let the ECU run it. In a crash or fire you wont think to turn the pump off. You can do an on / momentary on fuel pump switch (on ecu control and momentary prime to help burp the fuel lines manually if necessary.)
By Taxman
jrbe: thank you for your advice, I do appreciate it! You nailed one of my earlier problems right in the first sentence :) , molex pin on the ECU connector.

PSIG: I´m quite amazed about the magnitude of source material available for DIY aircraft wiring on the web (either FAA, EAA or other). Thanks man.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?