For any discussion not specifically related to your project
By RichCreations
How hard would it be to get speeduino running on the Due (firmware wise)?
By noisymime
I've looked into this quite a bit, but am not personally a fan for a few reasons:

1) First and foremost, there's nothing that going to Due actually offers. Sure it's a speed increase, but given that the system is running fine (from a speed perspective) on the 2560, I just don't see the advantage. Even if you went to all the effort of porting the code, once you got it running it would be no different at all from running on the 2560.
2) Due has no onboard EEPROM
3) Due is all 3.3v

If I was ever to go down the ARM path, I would look more towards the Teensy 3.1 than the Due as I believe it's a much more suitable piece of hardware.

I guess it really comes down to what you're trying to achieve here...
By RichCreations
I guess it really comes down to what you're trying to achieve here...
Well, I have a Due, but not a mega, but I guess I can buy one.

I want to replace the Bosch L-Jettronic ECU on a BMW k75 motorcycle, it is a 3-cyl, 120 degree engine, however, it currently has a MAF sensor (which I would like to retain), some flapper that I don't really understand, a switch TPS (which I will replace with a pot), and no IAT, or O2 sensor (I can add both if needed) It also has 3 independent throttle bodies, between the head, and plenum box, and no map sensor. (can I use just one cyl as the map source?)

Down the road, I may add a turbo...

The L-Jettronic system is crap, plain and simple, but I really don't want to give my money to the MS guys.

I am more then willing to make my own hardware, it is the software that I have trouble with.
By noisymime
RichCreations wrote:Well, I have a Due, but not a mega, but I guess I can buy one.
Well, it all comes down to priorities. I'm not saying you can't port the code, I know for a fact it's possible, but you're looking at many, many hours of writing and testing compared to $20 for a Mega2560 :lol:
RichCreations wrote:I want to replace the Bosch L-Jettronic ECU on a BMW k75 motorcycle, it is a 3-cyl, 120 degree engine, however, it currently has a MAF sensor (which I would like to retain), some flapper that I don't really understand, a switch TPS (which I will replace with a pot), and no IAT, or O2 sensor (I can add both if needed) It also has 3 throttle bodies, between the head, and plenum box, and no map sensor. (can I use just one cyl as the map source?)
I would avoid using a single cylinder reference for MAP. If you really want to use MAP then you'll have to look at doing a little balancer to join the inlets. Alternatively, there's no reason that for NA you couldn't just use Alpha-N and base your load on the TPS alone (Obviously with a pot in place of the switch). If you're keeping the MAF flapper, it might be worth checking whether it has a IAT built into it, many do. That said, it wouldn't be too hard to add it and it's something I would recommend.

Adding a wideband O2 will make your life a LOT easier for tuning, but it's not completely mandatory.
Down the road, I may add a turbo...
At this point, you'd definitely need to go down the balancer path. Alpha-N doesn't work at all well for forced induction. :D
By RichCreations
I have read that it does not have an IAT in the system, but it would be trivial to add one, As for the flapper, I thought the MAF was the thing with the platinum wire in it, not the flapper. (or are they really 2 parts of a whole)? As for a balance tube there are taps for vacumn gauges (for syncing the throttle bodies), could I just tee them all together? Do I even need MAP if I have MAF?

BTW, I would really like to ditch the flapper (and the whole MAF if I must) having my mixture change based on g-forces has gotten old. The early 90's super lean mix is bad enough, without going leaner every time I turn/brake/accelerate.

Whatever I do, I would like it to be "turbo ready"

Sorry, I am new to the world of EFI...
By noisymime
RichCreations wrote:I have read that it does not have an IAT in the system, but it would be trivial to add one, As for the flapper, I thought the MAF was the thing with the platinum wire in it, not the flapper. (or are they really 2 parts of a whole)? As for a balance tube there are taps for vacumn gauges (for syncing the throttle bodies), could I just tee them all together? Do I even need MAP if I have MAF?
Speeduino doesn't support your flapper MAF anyway at this point. Given how horrible they typically are, I doubt I'll ever add support for them.
Really, your best solution is to get rid of it. If you've got the taps there already, it is just like you say, join them together and connect it up to the MAP sensor on Speeduino.

ITBs can be tricky things to get right and I haven't had an engine with them installed yet (Though others have and I did just buy a set for my test car). MS does support this better at the moment, but this is an area that I will improve over time.
Whatever I do, I would like it to be "turbo ready"
Then the above is definitely the better way to go. If you join up the inlets and connect to the MAP sensor, you'll be all good to go once you get the turbo on, you'll just need to tune the boosted part of the table.
Sorry, I am new to the world of EFI...
No need to apologise at all! Sounds like you've got a pretty good grip on things. :)
By RichCreations
Speeduino doesn't support your flapper MAF anyway at this point. Given how horrible they typically are, I doubt I'll ever add support for them.
Really, your best solution is to get rid of it. If you've got the taps there already, it is just like you say, join them together and connect it up to the MAP sensor on Speeduino.
So, I gut the flapper, add IAT, connect MAP to base of throttle bodies, replace TPS, add wide-band o2. Will speeduino then be a viable ECU for this engine (redline is only 8k if it matters)

I am not yet sure about the encoder, I don't believe it has a cam position sensor, but I may try to add something (couple magnets on the cam sprocket perhaps) so I can do sequential injection. but batch fire will be fine for now.

I am wanting to build my own hardware, with just what I need.

Thanks for the good info.
By noisymime
RichCreations wrote:
So, I gut the flapper, add IAT, connect MAP to base of throttle bodies, replace TPS, add wide-band o2. Will speeduino then be a viable ECU for this engine (redline is only 8k if it matters)
Provided your crank and/or cam trigger setup is something I can work with, then this should all be fine. 8k won't be a problem for RPM. I believe it would probably be the first 3 cylinder up and running, but this won't cause any issues at all.
I am not yet sure about the encoder, I don't believe it has a cam position sensor, but I may try to add something (couple magnets on the cam sprocket perhaps) so I can do sequential injection. but batch fire will be fine for now.
It would be good if you could get some info around what this signal looks like. Everything else you've listed is OK, but it would be good to be able to confirm this pattern will work.
By RichCreations
It would be good if you could get some info around what this signal looks like. Everything else you've listed is OK, but it would be good to be able to confirm this pattern will work.
I found this on a MS forum
The ignition timing is done by a set of two Hall Effect Sensors (Honeywell brand) with a wheel that has 2 windows. The sensors and windows are both 120 degrees apart. It is wasted spark, 1 coil per cylinder.

The timing is done by only the first Hall sensor, then both hall sensors, then only the second one (As far as I can tell). This allows the computer to accurately ascertain the proper position for all the cylinders without a distributor, which is needed for conventional wheels.
Is this a problem?
By noisymime
Are you wanting to do fuel and ignition or just fuel?

That is a pretty funky trigger arrangement. I'll have to keep reading on it to see the best way to go.

Always going to be one, I have completed 3 convers[…]

Do i have to do something in arduino software ? i […]

STM32 development

Not yet, I have been too busy to look into it but […]

Hola a todos Actualizo!!! Me es grato comunicaros[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?