For any discussion not specifically related to your project
By riky
I managed to wire the speeduino into a parallel connection with the serial ECU. I have a spark and the injectors work in test mode. All the sensors work and I have accurate readings, but when I crank the engine, I have no rev readings at all. For the crankshaft sensor I use a hall sensor from Honda 1.7 https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/honda ... k-sensor-1

I connected the wires to the sensor properly (I think). The signal wire from the speeduino is VR1 +, 12v voltage and ground. The trigger wheel I use is 36-1, I calculated the trigger angle (ATDC) to be 150 'from the first tooth to the sensor. Please help
By theonewithin
1. Don't calculate the trigger offset. Use a timing light to make sure it's correct.

2. Get your multimeter out and confirm the output from the sensor is getting to the Speeduino.

3. Make sure you have set the jumpers correctly

4. Check the tooth logger tab to see what the Speeduino is actually seeing.

5. Upload your tune here please.
By Chris Wolfson
Are you sure your Hall sensor needs 12V? Just 5 volt are very common, too.
Second, a Hall needs a change in the magnetic field. So a "usual" trigger wheel will not work if there is no build in magnet somewhere. Maybe check the data sheet or use a small nail, it should stick.

Because of that I go for VR sensors in custom installs if I can. They even count the teeth at the flywheel without any problem. So the usual 36-x is no problem at all. Most have a build in magnet, what you also can test with any piece of iron.

Don´t get me wrong, Hall sensors are perfectly OK, I just don´t see any advantage. The problem are 3 wires, which give more ways to do something wrong than two and the need for a clean voltage supply.
By riky
I use honda crank sensor from link as you can see. It's 12v
I don't know how to set jumpers (not sure if i do it right) for Honda hall sensor.
That honda sensor creates magnetic effect (i tried)
By PSIG
Almost all automotive Hall sensors have a built-in bias magnet, so they can read plain steel or ferrous wheels. VR sensors have a magnetic core, as they are electrical generators. So, both are "magnetic". Old Hall sensors used many years ago were sometimes non-bias, and needed magnets on the wheel. Those are rare now, and are commonly called "flying magnet" systems.

If you cannot find the spec's for your Honda sensor, then simply test it. Power it, and read the signal wire. When you pass a steel object to it, the output should ground, or output voltage. So, most are float/ground signals (needing a pullup), and a few types are float/voltage signals.

Most ground, and need the pullup jumper enabled on that input, as outlined in the Speeduino Wiki. If yours instead outputs a voltage signal, then you need no jumper, but your input may need an inline diode if the voltage is above 5 volts. See the Wiki.

Either way, the result is a near 0-volt to near 5-volt signal as it passes each wheel target (tooth, hole, slot, etc).

I can see signs of a Hall vs VR war beginning here, and I strongly suggest everyone allow for any options. Something I said earlier in this thread:
PSIG wrote:We have had far more issues on the forums regarding VR than we have with Hall (opto issues have all been decoder problems), and that is one of the indicators that I use for judging the best general recommendations for Speeduino users. What works better for most users. I am not pushing for a type I like, but what I think will give the best opportunity for success for most users. Your project is yours, and you can use whatever you like. :) I like what will work best for the setup I'm working on, whatever that is. ;) On my current project, that happens to be VR on the crank and Hall on the cam, because that's what it came with. Beyond that I will use the best sensor for the wheel I have, or the best wheel for the sensor I have. They all have their place.
Do your thing! But allow others to do theirs without harassment. Any type can work. ;)
By Chris Wolfson
No cause for any sensor war.
Usually, if you have an engine that was injected, it is best to stick to the sensor and position the factory did use.
If your engine did not have sensors, maybe have a look at a later version and use what is available. That way you do not have to do exhausting experiments.
There is no better system, Hall or VR. In theory Hall has advantages, practically the VR is easier to handle, diagnose and harder to break, as no semi conductor is involved. Fails of working sensors are rare, in most cases the cable is the cause. Sometimes teeth of the wheel are knocked off, if protective covers are erased.
In internet times it is possible to get data for any sensor that exists, so use it.
12 Volt feed sensors may be at risk if something with the electrical system goes wrong. That is why I may prefer the 5V type.

You are right, sensors without build in magnets are getting rare. I usually work on older cars, where external magnets are found on some sensors and are often overlooked and ignored by younger mechanics. So I wanted to mention these exceptions that you can find with a simple test for magnetic attraction.
By PSIG
riky wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:54 pm I got 0.29V on signal wire when ignition is off (contact with metall) and ~0.20V with ignition on. What should i do?
Test with power ON, first with no metal, then with metal. If it's a Hall, it must be powered for all testing.

If you do not see high voltage on the signal wire at any time (high is anything between 3.3 to 12+ volts), it is a grounding (open-drain or open-collector) sensor (the most common type), and would use the Speeduino 5V pullup on that input. With that pullup, Speeduino will see alternating low near 0V (when sensor grounds) and high near 5V (when sensor floats) as the sensor switches on and off when targets go past.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?