For any discussion not specifically related to your project
By mareaturbo
Hello everyone, I would like to make my own ignition module to drive normal coils. But I don't know which model of IGBT should I use, and which will work with 5v. Thanks.
By Chris Wolfson
Some solutions for identical problems depend on where you live. A part you might get for 10$ just down the street might be exotic in another country.
If you look for ready to use solutions, made for cars:
In Europe there are some BOSCH ignition power stages you also can get from many aftermarket brands, which are cheap and reliable.
You find them on any car cemetery and they are made for 2, 4 and even six coils. Just as well work some Magneti Marelli and GM parts.

The safest way is to use a combined coil /driver unit. If you want one coil for distributor, you may use VW, GM/ Vauxhall/ Opel units, which have been replaced on later cars with wasted spark units, then, a little later with one coil per cylinder or even COP units. If you choose a certain unit, be sure it is suited for your task. Some natural aspirated ignition systems will not perform well on a turbo engine, but any turbo ignition will work great on an aspirated engine.

If you run carburetors and only want to have a Speeduino igniton, take a turbo version, too. The crude mixture from carburetors needs all the ignition power it can get.

If you want to solder your own stuff, there are quite some switching transistor made for ignition coils. As they usually ground the coil, many can be driven by 5 V (getting more usual) or 12 V. The IGBT IRG4BC40S is used by Bosch for example.

Read the sections of the Speeduino WIKI and, with a grain of salt, the MegaSquirt manual too. The combined information should tell you anything you need to know.

If you write a bit more about your project, there may come some more specific help from this forum.
By JHolland
Google for 'Ignition IGBT' or go to the semiconductor manufacturers sites and perform a parametric search.
By Vauhtivaunu
mareaturbo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:26 am Hello everyone, I would like to make my own ignition module to drive normal coils. But I don't know which model of IGBT should I use, and which will work with 5v. Thanks.
Fairchild semiconductor ISL9V-series is rock solid solution with speeduino. Pazi88´s PnP-boards use them and I have used them 10 years with many kind of aftermarket ecu´s.

https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/isl9v3040p3-d.pdf
By PSIG
I find and buy components quickly by searching the vendors that I use most. For example, I use Digi-Key, Mouser, Arrow, and a couple others in this area. I go to their site and search as described earlier, which gives me options, spec's, and costs. Click on something that fits your application. Done. 8-)

For a random example, I could go to Digi-Key, search "IGBT", which gets this page, select suitable stuff like "Automotive" "AEC-Q101" and similar, the power I need (calculated from coil spec's, or better than you think if you don't know), select "Logic" (for 5V), THT or SMD, how many I want, etc, and see what they have that I think fits my project.

Some suppliers have better search systems, so you can find what you want and get it elsewhere if necessary, using sites such as octopart. In any case, get important parts such as this from a trustworthy supplier. ;) Hope that helps.
By Chris Wolfson
If you only want to build one igniter, the minimum order with good and reliable electronic´s suppliers like Mouser, RS, DigiKey etc. is usually 50€. So if you do not need 20 of them, that might be quite expensive.
Why not buy an IGBT (or 2) in a case, Bosch style. It sure is an advantage to have the power stage outside of the ECU case, if the OEM do it that way. The typical 2 coil/ 4 cylinder wasted spark ignition module is around 25€ at eBay from some aftermarket supplier. You don´t even need the connector, if you know how to solder, you can wire it directly into your custom install. I finish them off by filling the space around the contacts with epoxi. Done that for 20 years now without any problem.
This is what they look like http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d63.html

A part made for automotive ignition is the Bosch BIP373 Coil Driver.
By ngt
4 cylinder Ignition Module
- Bosch Code 0227100200 - 50$ to 60$
- Beru Version ZM026-BERU - 30$ to 40$
-Chinese Version 15$ on ebay.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0227100200-Ign ... 313409498?

Plug Type is from AMP/TYCO junior Power Timer (JPT) 7-way
code 282194-1

----------------
ORRRRR you can get an all inclusive coilpack with amplifier found in older VW models on ebay for ~30$
VW part Number : 032905106
Bosch part number: 0986221048
Some cheap ones have this part number UF277
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Coil- ... 867139553?
By JuanNavarro
I was searching for 0 227 100 200 module characteristics, but no success, just pinout, attached (Source: https://www.efihardware.com/products/32 ... el-igniter)

I found this other for specs, my guess is that both have similar internals but -200 have 2 coil drivers (4 cyl wasted spark) while -203 have 3 coil drivers (3 cyl wasted spark)

Bosch 0 227 100 203 ignition module specs attached
Bosch link https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/conten ... IM_3.2.pdf
Attachments
(437.58 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
(710.59 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
By PSIG
The option to use a module with more channels than you need is attractive. This allows you to use any module that is currently available to you, at reasonable cost. As the "211" 4-channel module has bee available at very low cost, it is popular for any application from 1 to 4 channels. Likewise from alternative viewpoint; 1 or 2-channel versions used in multiples. The "034" 1-ch is very common on DSM cars for example.

In the PDF below, you can compare various Bosch modules for the type, channels, and intended control, then search sources for availability and cost. While "ECU control" is preferred, Speeduino can use any type with the proper settings. These are only Bosch modules, and there are many, many other options available you can consider. This is one area that users have a wide horizon of choices. Have fun shopping!

(61.13 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
By DStage
Hi

I have made myself a module few years back using 4 IGBTs in TO220 and it works just fine just bolted to metal case with insulating plates. It wasn't expensive to buy 4 transistors, I don't know where you guys heard about this 50 euro minimum limit nonsense ;-) I think back then I ordered them from TME (tme.eu, polish distributor selling all over Europe) but actually today I have just put an order in Farnell for 12 (3 modules for 4 cylinders) RGPR30NS40 ignition IGBTs in TO-263 (D2PAK) so this time I'm planning on making a simple SMD board. There's no limit on those so you can buy as little as 1 piece and price is about 0.75 euro net below 10 pieces and 0.60 above 10 (in practise starting from 8 it's better to order at least 10). If you prefer THT there's ISL9V3040 for about 2-2.5 euro.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?