For any discussion not specifically related to your project
By jackscr
Hello,
I built a v4 board and would like to be able to connect to it by wifi so I got myself a esp wroom 32 board without researching first to see if there was a way to interface it with the arduino mega board :oops: ... But now all I can find is info about the esp2866...
I found a post here where someone described a succesul connection to the esp32.. Would anyone care to help out a noob?
By JanKovalski
I used esp32's serial over wifi before I figured out that you have to reprogram the bluetooth module to get it to work. I remember that I searched for "esp32 serial wifi" and used the first example I found. Connected the RX, TX and GND lines without any logic converter and it just worked. It definitely takes a little longer to reconnect after a reboot with serial over wifi but other than that it works without and issues.

This is an example I found right now, don't see why it wouldn't work:
https://github.com/AlphaLima/ESP32-Serial-Bridge
By jackscr
theonewithin wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:34 am Why WiFi?

Bluetooth is the supported option which just works.

Probably simpler to just order a HC06.
On megasquirt I had all sorts of issues connecting to some devices with bluetooth ,one phone worked great another did not want to ...
AAnd wifi is theoretically faster ,as in higher data rate which is quite useful for datalogging, also it leaves your bluetooth free for other things
The esp32 also has bluetooth so it can be used that way if you can configure it properly.
By jackscr
JanKovalski wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:25 am I used esp32's serial over wifi before I figured out that you have to reprogram the bluetooth module to get it to work. I remember that I searched for "esp32 serial wifi" and used the first example I found. Connected the RX, TX and GND lines without any logic converter and it just worked. It definitely takes a little longer to reconnect after a reboot with serial over wifi but other than that it works without and issues.

This is an example I found right now, don't see why it wouldn't work:
https://github.com/AlphaLima/ESP32-Serial-Bridge
wait, how can you connect rx tx directly, I thought the mega is 5V and the esp32 is 3.3V... Am I missing something..or do you have some weird esp32 developer board with 5v inputs?
I mean the mega will trigger high fine at 3.3V on the RX pin, but I do not think the esp32 will like the 5v on its Rx pin... and using a voltage divider will probably cause issues at high baud rates... a converter would be the only option...
By JanKovalski
I did a quick search and everyone was saying that although ESP32 is 3.3V, it's 5V tolerant. And nothing broke but I wasn't using it for too long. I'm a beginner here so I change a lot of things that require power cycle and it just takes too long to reconnect with wifi. Bluetooth does that faster.
By jackscr
theonewithin wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:56 am Data rate will be exactly the same.

The limitation n is the serial connection.
I am finding conflicting information about this...some say the speed is the same and some say wifi will double the data points when datalogging ... I don't think that baudrate has anything to do with it.
We need someone who uses wifi and someone who uses bluetooth to confirm the samples per seconds they are getting when in tuner studio and when actual datalogging.
With megasquirt and bluetooth I was getting 15-20/s when datalogging but I do not know if it was a bluetooth module limitation or whatever.. BUT the serial was definitely not the limitation as was getting a lot more when connected with usb adapter.
By jackscr
JanKovalski wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 pm I did a quick search and everyone was saying that although ESP32 is 3.3V, it's 5V tolerant. And nothing broke but I wasn't using it for too long. I'm a beginner here so I change a lot of things that require power cycle and it just takes too long to reconnect with wifi. Bluetooth does that faster.
For initial setup the best way is directly with usb cable that is for sure ...But I am talking about later down the road when data logging and occasional tuning.
I am by no means set on wifi but it seemed to be the better choice for range, connectivity (a lot of laptops do not have bluetooth, and IOS does not play ball with it either, at least the phones I tried..) and potentially data rate.
By theonewithin
Ignore data rate... Once again the limitation is the serial port on the Arduino.

112Kbps...

Ignore range. Bluetooth does 10m. When would you need more.

And dump the Mac. You will have a much better time.

Never come across a laptop that didn't have Bluetooth built in? Maybe 10 years ago...

Hi guys, I've finally had enough of the obscenely[…]

It's actually a pretty rudimentary unit from what […]

Sorry, i just realized one thing: The 25 degrees […]

Hi y'all, I want to add a new 3-D table for Inj[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?