For any discussion not specifically related to your project
By stum
Yes the penny had dropped at this end......... I was a little mixed.

I used a generic GM IAT.

Be careful on where you mount the IAT, as this will have a big impact on its operation. I am going to have to remount mine because it is mounted into the manifold. and only shows heat soak, not true inlet temp. has bag effect. and on a turbo engine you want to see whats happening......

Cheers
By JOhMyGOD
Yea, that was my thought. I think when I make the transition to Turbo, I will use an N20 3.5bar BMW map sensor with IAT built into it. Those have a composite plastic body which should help with heatsoak as BMW mounts them on their intake manifold (albeit, they are plastic), but yea, definitely will go with a faster acting IAT when I go turbo.

Its been a few days, but hopefully I get in the garage today and get more work done, with the wife and baby, its hard to find a spare moment.

-J
By JOhMyGOD
@Stum

So I got out there today and started to crank it to see if I could get it to turn over. I was seeing some weird issues where I was getting an RPM signal and I would get an odd ignition fire, sometimes sounded like an intake backfire, or firing against the starter causing it to slow considerably or stop completely (battery was a little weak). I rechecked wiring and it seems I got two injector pairs wrong, so I fixed that up based on the distributor diagram I showed you. 1-6, 3-4, 2-5, seemed to help a little but not much. I then turned filtering on WEAK, cause I noticed some RPM spikes during cranking (mostly around 3k rpm displayed by the telltail shadow needle, but did catch one spike up to around 5k). When I did this, the rpm didn't spike anymore and those random spikes went away, but, it also never started... I only checked ignition coils 1 and 6 and they were paired so I assume they were wired right (Could be wrong there, but kinda ran out of time). Also, I can't get the tooth logger to run, so I can't see if I am filtering out too much signal or whats going on. Just trying to see if you have any idea where I should check next.

-J
By JOhMyGOD
From digging around, I think I found my issue... Possibly... I have my pairs all screwed up... The Toyota technical doc seems to lie... But I will have to confirm where that document came from, I was pretty sure it was a 3vzfe engine tech doc. But now the baby is sleeping and I can't fiddle with my toys... Esp not the ones that make noise...

-J
By stum
Just be careful with the firing order.... as the way the 3vz-fe has got me once or twice. im sure the mz is the same.

With #1 being (looking from crank pully) front left. then down the left side #3 & 5. Then #2, #4 , #6 down the right

I got mine to fire up first time, but was a vz and dizzy which saved some hassels.
By JOhMyGOD
Yea, I think I saw a post where you were talking with someone else and they were talking about their spark and injector pairs, and you confirmed a configuration that I am not running. What I am going to try is wiring the injectors and spark plugs in the order of 1-4, 2-5, 3-6 instead of the documents suggestion of 1-6, 2-5, 3-4. I am going to try that out sometime tomorrow and see where that gets me. Seems that, if you two ran that setup and things worked, then it would only make sense that my setup would be the same. I wish I traced down the plug wires on my distributor instead of relying on that document... Hahaha

-J
By JOhMyGOD
So, I got out there during my break and got the injectors and coils wired up 1-4, 2-5, 3-6. Couldn't test start as some cranky people are taking naps in the house currently. But as soon as they come alive I will see what we can do.

-J
By JOhMyGOD
So I tried to start her today, and I got lots of cranking, a few sputters, but nothing caught. I am not sure if I am not getting enough fuel or if something else is up. I have to dig out my timing light and see whats going on. Oddly enough, I seem to have misplaced my timing light... Guess I will be running to the parts store tomorrow to pick up another.

-J

Picture of the Cheery Hall Effect sensor: Cherry […]

Thanks for guiding me, I've been busy these past f[…]

Today I was with the car again looking for what co[…]

I've been away from playing cars for a few weeks, […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?