Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
I'm finally getting around to staring to ordering parts to do this conversion. I need help tho. Car engines are one thing, a lot easier to modify. I need help figuring how to wire in the pickups for the injector and spark signals. I only have a crankshaft pickup. I'm only really worried about the fuel Injector wiring since the spark can work independently of the ecu. I'm also redoing the fuse block someone wired in improperly before I got the bike and adding in some extra fuses. From what i understand the firing order of this engine is 1,2,4,3 and Orange red /white wire is for 2/3 coil and grey , red/white for 1/4 coil
Attachments
85 Fj600N wiring diagram.jpg
85 Fj600N wiring diagram.jpg (460.19 KiB) Viewed 444 times
RyuFlynn wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:11 pm I'm finally getting around to staring to ordering parts to do this conversion. I need help tho. Car engines are one thing, a lot easier to modify. I need help figuring how to wire in the pickups for the injector and spark signals. I only have a crankshaft pickup. I'm only really worried about the fuel Injector wiring since the spark can work independently of the ecu. I'm also redoing the fuse block someone wired in improperly before I got the bike and adding in some extra fuses. From what i understand the firing order of this engine is 1,2,4,3 and Orange red /white wire is for 2/3 coil and grey , red/white for 1/4 coil
here is a picture of the crankshaft pickup coils
Attachments
IMG_20240430_115303589_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240430_115303589_HDR.jpg (276.17 KiB) Viewed 417 times
RyuFlynn wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:11 pm… I'm only really worried about the fuel Injector wiring since the spark can work independently of the ecu.
If this is fuel-only, then the timing and resolution are far less important. To run fuel-only, Speeduino only needs existing pulses from anywhere in the trigger, control or firing section of the ignition. This could include any extended signal portion, such as the tachometer output, seeking the most suitable or convenient signal source.

Once the signal source is identified, then the characteristics of that source are determined (voltage, timing, signal shape, etc), and if any signal conditioning is required to make it suitable for Speeduino input.
Retaining the stock ignition system adds a little bit of a complication because, if the tach signal is not suitable then you would need to piggy-back off the stock VR sensor (not recommended), tap the TCI unit at the comparator or fit a third VR sensor for Speedy. An alternative may be to fit the later controller which only requires one VR sensor and then use the second, now spare, VR sensor for Speeduino.
I was hoping to be able to use the stock pickups. The tachometer is pretty dead accurate. Would I able able to use the cylinder 1/4 since that would signal close to TDC of cylinder 1&4. I know I will be running in bank fire mode since I have no real way of adding a cam sensor without redesigning the valve cover. Can the speeduino run from only a TDC signal of cylinder 1? Also dumb question but can I utilize the 2 sensors since they are 180 out from each outer essentially giving 2 signals per rotation of the crank just like the cam would? Would I be able to tap off and run a diode on each wire as to not back feed and give a dummy camshaft signal? I'm new to the aftermarket ecu world so I'm just learning as I go.
RyuFlynn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:52 pm I was hoping to be able to use the stock pickups. The tachometer is pretty dead accurate. Would I able able to use the cylinder 1/4 since that would signal close to TDC of cylinder 1&4.
The injector end-point timing is adjustable.

RyuFlynn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:52 pmI know I will be running in bank fire mode since I have no real way of adding a cam sensor without redesigning the valve cover.
You have more options than bank fire. My pick would be un-timed quasi-sequential, where injectors are fired alternating in pairs (1-4 & 2-3) and fired twice per cycle. That will provide two injections per cylinder, one at each cylinder's TDC (or whatever timing you select). Identical fuel distribution and identical timing to each cylinder across the cycle, no matter which stroke it starts on.

RyuFlynn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:52 pmAlso dumb question but can I utilize the 2 sensors since they are 180 out from each outer essentially giving 2 signals per rotation of the crank just like the cam would?
Two sensors, yes. Like a cam, no. Two sensors would read like one sensor with two teeth, with the potential gain of doubling resolution.

RyuFlynn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:52 pmWould I be able to tap off and run a diode on each wire as to not back feed and give a dummy camshaft signal?
Probably. I would test the setup in order to verify the signal pattern you actually produced. As you are using the TCI, we do not want to affect the sensor signals to that, and would treat it like a piggyback. So a high-impedance VR conditioner is required, such as the Speeduino store MAX9926, or the MiniMAX-A2.

However, if diodes are needed, the voltage forward (VF) could affect the signal to the TCI, and function testing would be required to verify no negative effects. This test would be the first to the stock bike as the only change. If no joy, then you're back to tapping only one sensor, but I am optimistic. :lol:
Crap, my bad, you would think i would remember that working with engines all the time. Don't know why i had it in my head that the cam was half the speed of the crank. :lol:

So what your saying is i can use the 1/4 pickup, I just have to adjust end-point timing in the software?

The Max9926 or A2 , Is there anything else i would have to do other than soldering on the headers and plugging it into the board? The coil signal wire would just run straight to the crank pin on the UA4C? And Do i need to move any of these jumpers around with this setup. I plan on just running a second wire off the back of the harness connector plug for the TCI.
20240502_090348.jpg
20240502_090348.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 169 times
My end goal right now is to just get the bike running and driving before riding season ends this fall. I can modify and improve whatever i need to over the winter. It would be nice to be able to ride again....

I’m thinking it’s the voltage regulato[…]

HAHA Thank you! Ok got it the outer part of the […]

+1, I use old driver versions in my Windows machin[…]

Thanks for that. I never know where I will pick-u[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?